do you prefer the small ( club type) show or the big shows.??

good afternoon.

i ask this question and open it up for perhaps a civil discussion to which show most patrons appeal to or prefer. not looking to bash one over the other, just looking for opinions.

I am a member at Holbrook Sportsmen's Club and handle the logistics and setup of our shows we run at our Club. we have a show upcoming on March 24th and 25th, and I found out yesterday that the big shows ( like Marlboro this weekend) has planned a show at the Hanover Mall, Hanover, MA( a mere 10 miles away) the same weekend...

I only ask as we( the Club) now has a decision to make as we wonder if 2 shows so close together is worth it to the Club, Vendors, and patrons that attend...

talk about squeezing the little guy....

Last edited:
A small club show isn't big enough to go out for an o'dark-thirty breakfast and then have lunch out afterwards.

The advantage is they tend to be pretty empty so its easier to talk to vendors in general.

If it is the same weekend the good vendors will be at the bigger show. So it is suicide to compete. FRB will be at the bigger show, so those who don't know their PIN will be screwed with no way to do the transaction, making the vendors unhappy as well.

I've attended Carole's show in MA the same weekend as one was being held in PA (we're talking 1000-2000 table event) and she had lots of empty tables, huge aisle space and a lot fewer tables than advertised.

I try to make the Holbrook show each year and like it for a small show. If there is a date conflict you should choose a different date (and Carole should do the same in examples like the one I mentioned above).

Our FCAC twice a year one day show is very well attended and I almost always do better than the two day shows where you have 30% of Saturday's crowd walking around Sunday with their hands in their pockets (and you're stuck there for the day).

having never been to a Holbrook event, what kind of show is it? is it held at the club? do you expect dealers to set up? I'm asking cause i'm thinking on the lines of the shows my club use to run. basicly a vehicle for the members to buy a table for 20 bucks and clean out their closets and garages and sell their unwanted gun related stuff.

If it is the same weekend the good vendors will be at the bigger show. So it is suicide to compete. FRB will be at the bigger show, so those who don't know their PIN will be screwed with no way to do the transaction, making the vendors unhappy as well.

I've attended Carole's show in MA the same weekend as one was being held in PA (we're talking 1000-2000 table event) and she had lots of empty tables, huge aisle space and a lot fewer tables than advertised.

I try to make the Holbrook show each year and like it for a small show. If there is a date conflict you should choose a different date (and Carole should do the same in examples like the one I mentioned above).

Len, thanks for response, issue is we already had date planned and some vendors already paid for tables for Holbrook, spoke to FRB yesterday they would do both if we choose to continue. the Hanover date was not on a calendar when we picked it back in december to proceed.

having never been to a Holbrook event, what kind of show is it? is it held at the club? do you expect dealers to set up? I'm asking cause i'm thinking on the lines of the shows my club use to run. basicly a vehicle for the members to buy a table for 20 bucks and clean out their closets and garages and sell their unwanted gun related stuff.

show is at our club, WE assist on set up and break down for dealers. NO Member tables allowed only dealers.

Does FRB charge to be at the show???? I find it interesting they are there.

NO. Nor do we charge FRB for the table to be at the show. a few years back when the PIN# was needed for purchases, it was beneficial for them to be at the show so people buying firearms who didn't know their PIN# could go over and get it from FRB. they are also good for Q&A and have been at every show the past few years.

NO. Nor do we charge FRB for the table to be at the show. a few years back when the PIN# was needed for purchases, it was beneficial for them to be at the show so people buying firearms who didn't know their PIN# could go over and get it from FRB. they are also good for Q&A and have been at every show the past few years.
It's good that FRB will attend both, the current director is a true "customer service" oriented person.

Who is running the Hanover show? Yahoo & Google searchs failed to bring any info up, Carole doesn't have it listed. I even looked at events listing for Hanover Mall and see nothing. Depending on the rep of the show promoter, whether or not dealers could defect from the Holbrook show or not. Holbrook has a good reputation for their shows, so unless it is a huge competitor with a reputation to match, there may not be much to worry about.

It's good that FRB will attend both, the current director is a true "customer service" oriented person.

Who is running the Hanover show? Yahoo & Google searchs failed to bring any info up, Carole doesn't have it listed. I even looked at events listing for Hanover Mall and see nothing. Depending on the rep of the show promoter, whether or not dealers could defect from the Holbrook show or not. Holbrook has a good reputation for their shows, so unless it is a huge competitor with a reputation to match, there may not be much to worry about.

its northeastgunshows i got email saturday listed as NEW show for hanover mall, old JC penny. so i believe its Carole.?? same listing as marlboro, foxboro, et al.

its northeastgunshows i got email saturday listed as NEW show for hanover mall, old JC penny. so i believe its Carole.?? same listing as marlboro, foxboro, et al.
Agreed, it's Carole. However, I don't see it on her website and I looked as I wrote the prior post.

Maybe it's her replacement for the failed Plymouth venue.

I prefer the smaller shows. The larger shows have the same dealers with the same prices on mostly new inventory. The small shows will have local collectors/gun nuts who are looking to move some of their guns and buy other stuff. More used guns, used loading equipment, accessories, etc..

Back
Top Bottom