Does your spouse know how many guns you own?

Does your spouse know how many guns you own?

• Yes.

Votes: 121 29.6%
  • No.

Votes: 233 57.0%
  • Of course; some of them belong to him/her!

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • We have his & hers - I don't know about his/hers, s/he doesn't know about mine.

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
Well, now that she's finally into shooting, got her LTC-A no restrictions, and has her own M&P 9mm in the safe, all she has to do is use her own key to open them up and look.

My wife doesn't care I wish she would a little, but she doesn't want to. I would really like it if she was interested.
It is also hard for her to tell what is mine and what is going to be sold. There are times I have complete AR uppers stacked up in my office I also have stripped or completed lower stacking up some times. Also lots of parts and she coudn't tell a barrel from a complete gun so it just gets too confusing.

Uh...no? Heck, My last girl has been an ex for nearly a year and she still doesn't know how many have but she does know that I collected them all during her reign of Ter....er our relationship and since I told her I only bought one, I work hard to keep it that way.

She doesnt know how many guns i have ,but knows i go through an awful lot of ammo,still thinks ammunition is ten bucks a box.

My wife doesn't really know or care because the only one that she will shoot as needed is her own snubbie which she keeps at the ready, available to her at any time. If necessary, I'm convinced that she would be quicker than me in blasting the BG. Even though the kids have left the nest, the "Don't get between the mother and the cubs" theory still seems to linger on. Jack.
As Kipling once observed, "The female of the species is more deadly than the male".

As for you folks who don't know how many guns you have... Why not? Don't you have records? Or do you have an inventory and just forgot the final number?

Being the somewhat OC type that I am, I DO have an inventory... and all my guns are mentioned on an addendum to my will so that I can be sure that they go where they're supposed to after my death. And yes, I do update that after each purchase!

My wife is more interested in how many I'm getting than how many I have. She likes to hold them over me. "No new guns until we do the living room floor", and things like that. Not that I have that many but she's seen all of them.

She has no interest and to her my hobby is an evil obsession that has a life of its own. I'd show her if she ever wanted to see them all. There is no hiding on my part. That's just the way it is at my house.

Of course! We have his & hers, and also a little competitive "mine makes a louder boom than yours" going on. [smile] Good times!

she has the combinations to the safes, I don't know if she's ever counted while she was in them. . .

I will say when I was putting my NES AR together in the living room, she did say (for the first time) "now what do you need that for, don't you have enough?"

reply "need?" how many pairs of black shoes does someone "need"? discussion was over

As for you folks who don't know how many guns you have... Why not? Don't you have records? Or do you have an inventory and just forgot the final number?

Exactly. I have a dozen or so guns that my grandfather left me that I honestly can't tell you the exact number. On top of that I almost always forget about something and have one of those "Oh yea, forgot about that one" moments when I go rummaging through the safe. I've got a whole bunch of odd ball things that I picked up when I was young and 'wealthy' (ie. not married). For example, there is an old 7 shot .22 short revolver in there that has no markings at all on it and to this day I haven't figured out who made it, how old it is, or if it truly is built for .22 short.

Then again, not all my guns are in my safe. One of my .22 single shots is in the Armory at the club for use by the Junior Rifle program and I have a bolt action shotgun locked in the club's training closet for use in classes.

As for records, of course I have them. And because I have good records, I don't need to know what the count is, so I've never bothered to add it up. Unlike Len, I do not keep a single list of everything. Call it paranoid, but I don't want to make it simple for anyone who might like to know.

I don't know how many I have and Carol doesn't want to know.

She once asked if I had more than 7, and I said yes. That was it. Now we joke when we go to the gun club dinner and I start talking to people about this, that, and maybe several other guns. I use a stage whisper in front of her and wink at who I'm talking to and say..... Shhhhh, I'm only supposed to have 7 guns.

She'll smack me in the shoulder and say, "I KNOW you have more than 7, asshat", but never asks .

The funniest thing was when we went to buy her first gun, and she kept picking up guns and saying, this is pretty nice, and I'd reply by saying.... "we have one of those." It took her awhile to find one we didn't already have, but of course, once she found one, that was the one she wanted.

Once in awhile she'll want something. like a trip or vacation, and she'll say, ... "oh yeah, but we need another gun." I not so gently remind her that I could sell the guns tomorrow, and get more than my money back on most of them, but couldn't get paid back for our last trip to Florida.

I list my guns by caliber in my book, so I sometimes know how many .22's I have, but I really have no clue how many in total, and when I try to figure it out, Gramps old shotguns and stuff I never use seems to get forgotten. I've taken to saying, I don't think I have a hundred. More than? Less than? Doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I voted no. But I think she probably has an idea, because my fleet of bicycles has gone from 12 down to 4 and my quiver of skis has also started to dwindle as well, 20+ to about 10+. The money has to go somewhere...

As Kipling once observed, "The female of the species is more deadly than the male".

Yes, of course I have an inventory - on the computer, along with hardcopy files with purchase and sales details (not too many of the latter [smile]) and photographs. I know what the ballpark is, and I could come up with a firm number easily enough, but I've never bothered.

I don't think Shortey knows exactly how many guns I have, but she probably has a good idea. Then again, we're not married.

Although she DOES have the combo to my safe...

Uh-huh. This from the guy who keeps plaintively asking where to meet politically-conservative girls who like guns. [rolleyes]

doobie, how many times do I have to tell you? You don't FIND politically-conservative girls who like guns! You CREATE them from politically-liberal girls who've never seen a gun before, but want to rebel against daddy...

Okay, I just tested her - she was a couple off (she forgot a few she hasn't shot before), but all in all it was pretty impressive.

He response when I explained why I asked: "I'm just trying to catch up with you."

God, I love her!

A year ago she saw the contents of my three safes, and said," I didn't know you had THAT many !"

But she never counted them and that was a year ago.[smile]

I hope she doesn't.

She does have 2 guns of her own now and has shot about all of mine, but doesn't realize it. They all look alike to her.
I need to find a way to store my handguns better. The safes are now overflowing.

Three safes? What did she think was in them?

My live-in lady friend once asked me and all I said was I never counted them.

With B.O. and the election she told me BUY MORE GUNS, just in case. [dance]

Oh, and how much ammo do you have? I just said, not enough. BUY MORE AMMO TOO, she said. [mg]

Back
Top Bottom