Dog Attacks Man, Man Shoots Dog (Man Had Valid Pistol Permit; Not Arrested)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.courant.com/community/hartford/hc-hartford-dog-shot-0818-20100817,0,2035009.story

HARTFORD — —
A man taking out his garbage Monday morning on Melrose Street was attacked by his neighbor's pit bull terrier, police said. The man then pulled out a handgun and shot the dog dead.

Police responded to the call about 6:45 a.m., after the shooting.

Sgt. Christene Mertes said the person attacked by the dog had a valid pistol permit and a properly licensed handgun, and he was not charged.

Police located the dog owner, who told them he'd let the dog out of the house to relieve itself when it took off across the street.

The victim reported minor wounds from the dog.

I support anyone's right to self defense against man or beast.

That said, if he only reported "minor wounds", then I question whether he was attacked.

i was attacked by a pit bull terrier. IMO, a 50 pounder is pretty easy to fend off using just your hands... until they keep trying to bite you for 60 seconds later... i was eFin smoked! made the dash for a fence and jumped the damn fence. [laugh]

after a few min, he just ran away. it was night time and i was out for a jog... was out of MA, didn't have a gun or permit.... if the same thing were to happen today....

[wink]

I support anyone's right to self defense against man or beast.

That said, if he only reported "minor wounds", then I question whether he was attacked.

Should he wait until his nuts are bitten off? Maybe his wounds are minor because he shot the dog.

I wonder how many people are seriously injured by pit bulls. You should have to have a permit for one of those things.

Don't tell me it's not needed since not all dogs and owners are dangerous. The same thing could be said about guns and their owners, but we need a license.

I see so many idiots walking with pit bulls as if they were a fashion accessory, they have no idea how dangerous any dog can be, let alone a pit bull.

All this being said by a life long dog owner.

he's lucky he wasn't in mAssachusetts. he'd be in jail. his guns all confiscated. and about to get royally screwed!

I wonder how many people are seriously injured by pit bulls. You should have to have a permit for one of those things.

Don't tell me it's not needed since not all dogs and owners are dangerous. The same thing could be said about guns and their owners, but we need a license.

I see so many idiots walking with pit bulls as if they were a fashion accessory, they have no idea how dangerous any dog can be, let alone a pit bull.

All this being said by a life long dog owner.

It's people like you that strive to take away our freedoms every day.
"You don't need that black rifle! It's dangerous! I'll bet a lot of people are hurt by black rifles. You just want it as a fashion accessory."
I'm not even going to make the argument that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners... because there are bad dogs, but you need to be careful when you paint with wide strokes friend... because if they come for my dog, what are they gonna take from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom