• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog Killed By Hunter

From the comments:

judy
Lincoln, MA
Hunting shouldn't be allowed anywhere for sport.If you want meat go to a grocery store where tons of it is thrown away daily and pay for it like everyone else instead of killing defenseless animals of any kind , the poor dog died needlessly for some fool to play with a stupid gun that isn't even supposed to be allowed in Massachusetts.Weapons are illegal in MA and yet double standards are ok for idiots.

BTW -- one of the comments said that there is a 25 page long leash law on the books in Lowell. While that isn't an excuse for not knowing your target or for this happening in the first place, does any one have a link to that law? It would be good ammo for countering idiots as the above.

what would have happened to him if he came forward up front and it was just an accident in identification?

And what will happen to him now if he gets caught or comes forward?

judy
Lincoln, MA
Hunting shouldn't be allowed anywhere for sport.If you want meat go to a grocery store where tons of it is thrown away daily and pay for it like everyone else instead of killing defenseless animals of any kind , the poor dog died needlessly for some fool to play with a stupid gun that isn't even supposed to be allowed in Massachusetts.Weapons are illegal in MA and yet double standards are ok for idiots.

Holy shit,someone give her a link to this site,maybe we can collectively change her attitude towards guns.

Hard to mistake a black lab for a brown white tail.

FYI- In Minnesota it's prefectly legal to shoot any dog that is in the woods chasing deer.

FYI- In Minnesota it's prefectly legal to shoot any dog that is in the woods chasing deer.

Also as an FYI, I have read that one of the main causes of deer mortality is dogs chasing deer in the winter. The deer's hooves break through the crusty snow while the dogs pads are better able to stay on top. Even if the dogs don't directly kill the deer, they deer are often chased to exhaustion and end up dying due to their weakened state.

Now having said that, it takes a pretty heartless bastard to knowingly shoot someone's pooch. Bottom line is do not let your dogs run free, especially during hunting season and the winter.

The picture on the link the dog looked mixed to me. There is brown on the face in the pictures....I'm not sure if the dog had other brown markings on his body. I'm not trying to stick up for the hunter but I'm kinda leaning toward innocent until prven guilty....maybe give him a bit of benefit of the doubt.

But originally I was really wondering what might happen to the person who shot this animal in each situation I described. Would there be jail time or loss of FID/LTC if he originall owned up to it?

Will he face jail time now if he is identified?

the Lowell Scum newspaper

Makes you wonder if it was a "Hunter" at all that shot the dog.

In Massachusetts Deer season you are only allowed to use shotgun. Slugs or OO Buckshot.

The Lowell Scum reports The projectile passed through the dog's body.

if it was a slug. that dogs would NOT have walked anywhere. If it was .30cal buckshot ball, it does not have much velocity. but maybe it could have passed thru.

20 hunters who were in the forest that morning around 9:45.

Im glad I was not around that many hunters in such small woods. Thats just plain dangeous!

"Mehmed Ali, president of the Friends of the Forest, who said the state forest is not the best place to hunt."

Why? Is that his Jihad Training area?

Its not that is not a good spot to hunt. If your going for squirril, porkupine or coyotes. Its just that there are no deer there

My Unckle Shorty used to own the Pine Ridge Dairy next to the State Forest and I spent many hours hunting there. Yea there are deer in there somewhere soo Ive been told; but I never saw a single one, nor tracks for that matter. Just Coyotes.

The picture of the dog looks more like a doberman than a Lab. I wonder if the dog might have attacked the hunter? Years ago I was hunting with my dog and a wild dog came out of the woods and attacked my dog who was right next to me. Stupid Wild Dog. He wont do that again.

To many kids camping and drinking/ partying out in the woods to be good for forest critters

PS: My Black Lab allways has a Blaze Orange coller on during deer season. Hard to mistake that for wild game!

There has been a Leash Law in Lowell for 30 years. Too bad she did not pay attention.

Last edited:
I see quite a few of us chimed in on their comment section. Judy from Lincoln's post is my favorite. Yet another case of complete ignorance and arrogance coming together to create an opinion.

Dog

I see quite a few of us chimed in on their comment section. Judy from Lincoln's post is my favorite. Yet another case of complete ignorance and arrogance coming together to create an opinion.
Very unfortunate incident but what the hell was she doing letting her dog run wild thru the forest during hunting season. Very irresponsible on her part and of course negative publicity for the hunting community.

From what the Fox news said last night is that there WERE signs passed around the complex letting people know it was hunting season and they posted signs in the parking lot remind everyone and guests that is was hunting season.

I feel for her, but if she read those warnings and reminders, her pooch might still be with her.

However I do say that the person who shot the dog should just come foward.

There are hunters who will shoot any dog they see in the woods during hunting season. As a deer hunter myself, that is not something I agree with.

I suspect that the dog was deliberately shot and that putting orange on the dog would not have changed what happened.

Sad really - from both angles. The dog should have been leashed and the hunter should be charged - target identification is obviously a critical part of hunting. It's why joggers, dogs and people raking leaves in white gloves get shot. I live on the high ground and often get uneasy feelings when I'm out in the yard with my yello lab and spot glaze orange in the field below....I have had hunters stalking game 50-feet from my home and when I go out to politely let them know they're too close, they have looked at me with contempt. Then I get not so nice.....

There are hunters who will shoot any dog they see in the woods during hunting season. As a deer hunter myself, that is not something I agree with.

I suspect that the dog was deliberately shot and that putting orange on the dog would not have changed what happened.

+1

Yes she disobeyed the leash law but that is no excuse for the shooting of the dog. This is a case of a stupid women being irresponsible and some jackass who either did this purposefully or has no business hunting.

Sad really - from both angles. The dog should have been leashed and the hunter should be charged - target identification is obviously a critical part of hunting. It's why joggers, dogs and people raking leaves in white gloves get shot. I live on the high ground and often get uneasy feelings when I'm out in the yard with my yello lab and spot glaze orange in the field below....I have had hunters stalking game 50-feet from my home and when I go out to politely let them know they're too close, they have looked at me with contempt. Then I get not so nice.....

Set up a turret on your deck, that gets the message across...

Another possibility is the dog was perceived as a threat. We don't know exactly what happened out there. When I see a dog without an owner, I am always extremely cautious. I know a lot of people still see them as pets, but for me personally, any animal out in the woods on its own is a potential threat.

I'm not condoning the shooting, just saying that there could be more factors at work than just HER perspective.

Wow. What are the laws on that? Is it possible to put any sort of markers along your property line?

Wow. What are the laws on that? Is it possible to put any sort of markers along your property line?

No hunting within 500' of a dwelling unless you have owner's permission. No shooting with 150' of a paved road.

And yes, he could post his property.

No hunting within 500' of a dwelling unless you have owner's permission. No shooting with 150' of a paved road.

And yes, he could post his property.

Sadly, the property is across the road, (paved) and open to hunting. Mine is posted. I try to give folks a break and be friendly. The attitude wearers get less kind treatment and I am more gruff, or call the police, (or both).

One morning a few years ago, I awoke to BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! It felt like it was right outside my window and it essentially was. Three hunters were shooting at pheasants and I sprang from my bed, got dressed and stood out on the wall SCREAMING mad. All I got in return was: "Jesus, calm down sorry". I screamed a few more expletives and threatened to call EPO/PD, (and by rights I should have). One of the hunters suddenly became conciliatory and apologetic - the other two called their dogs and stormed off. I crossed the road and approached the fance and talked with this guy for a few minutes, (he was from CT). I explained to him the rules of the road, (so to speak) and he apologized again and went on his way. Later that day, my dog Roxie was carrying something in her mouth in the front yard. I told her to drop it and it was a shotgun shell wad!!! In my front yard!!! Later that same night, Roxie was at my back fence trying to dig under. There was a dead pheasant on the other side. Shotgun wad in front yard - dead pheasant in back...Folks amaze me..... [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom