Dog Killed By Hunter

Sadly, the property is across the road, (paved) and open to hunting. Mine is posted. I try to give folks a break and be friendly. The attitude wearers get less kind treatment and I am more gruff, or call the police, (or both).

One morning a few years ago, I awoke to BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! It felt like it was right outside my window and it essentially was. Three hunters were shooting at pheasants and I sprang from my bed, got dressed and stood out on the wall SCREAMING mad. All I got in return was: "Jesus, calm down sorry". I screamed a few more expletives and threatened to call EPO/PD, (and by rights I should have). One of the hunters suddenly became conciliatory and apologetic - the other two called their dogs and stormed off. I crossed the road and approached the fance and talked with this guy for a few minutes, (he was from CT). I explained to him the rules of the road, (so to speak) and he apologized again and went on his way. Later that day, my dog Roxie was carrying something in her mouth in the front yard. I told her to drop it and it was a shotgun shell wad!!! In my front yard!!! Later that same night, Roxie was at my back fence trying to dig under. There was a dead pheasant on the other side. Shotgun wad in front yard - dead pheasant in back...Folks amaze me..... [shocked]

Guy from CT was a good shot and you got a free meal. All in all, it could have been worse.[laugh2][wink]

There are a number of issues here that need some discussion.

1) Why is the idiot owner not keeping their dog restrained/leashed at all times?
1a) Why is the idiot owner not keeping their dog restrained/leashed during hunting season?
2) As a hunter I have been threatened by domestic dog(s) while afield. Had one of them
had the stupidity to move on me as I backed away from them, I would have killed them with
a 30-06, or an arrow w/broadhead, or a handgun, whatever I had available to me.
3) Why would anyone, after shooting a dog, whether or not done in defense of self, or even
as a cowardly malicious act, identify themselves as the doer of the deed? Especially in this
state? Give the perp some credit for recognizing that nothing good would come out of
speaking out.
4) As a person who goes fishing on beaches where no other person is, at odd hours, I have
had two incidents with dogs, Rottweilers, where their owners have not had them leashed and
they were running the beach towards me. I had my hand on my firearm and had they made
one movement toward me would have died in sight of their owner, 100 yards away.
5) People with dogs need to get a life. Fido is not the face licker they think he is when in the
company of strangers.

Last edited:
5) People with dogs need to get a life. Fido is not the face licker they think he is when in the
company of strangers.

Not just that, but how are you supposed to know Ivan the Terrible is really a marshmallow at heart and not a face-eating carnivore? [wink]

Last edited:
There are a number of issues here that need some discussion.

1) Why is the idiot owner not keeping their dog restrained/leashed at all times?
1a) Why is the idiot owner not keeping their dog restrained/leashed during hunting season?
2) As a hunter I have been threatened by domestic dog(s) while afield. Had one of them
had the stupidity to move on me as I backed away from them, I would have killed them with
a 30-06, or an arrow w/broadhead, or a handgun, whatever I had available to me.
3) Why would anyone, after shooting a dog, whether or not done in defense of self, or even
as a cowardly malicious act, identify themselves as the doer of the deed? Especially in this
state? Give the perp some credit for recognizing that nothing good would come out of
speaking out.
4) As a person who goes fishing on beaches where no other person is, at odd hours, I have
had two incidents with dogs, Rottweilers, where their owners have not had them leashed and
they were running the beach towards me. I had my hand on my firearm and had they made
one movement toward me would have died in sight of their owner, 100 yards away.
company of strangers.

+1,000,000

My wife and I were once accosted by three loose and aggressive dogs while hiking an overnight trail back in Kansas. It was pretty f***ing unnerving and had I had a firearm back then, at least one of them would have died on the spot. I was lucky I found a thick branch on the ground and roundhoused one that got too close. I shudder to think how things would have gone if a small child had been present.

Tie your dog down if you want him to live. I will not tolerate aggressive or threatening dogs in my personal space.

My neighbors dogs used to terrorize my friends and I when we were kids. They never leashed them up and those damn dogs ate one of my other neighbors dachshund puppy. I held him in my arms while he died and his guts were spilled all over the place.

I will say this. If a loose dog ever even bares its teeth to my only child, it will die a swift death on the spot.

And the owner wants to make an issue, I will oblige.

I will say this. If a loose dog ever even bares its teeth to my only child, it will die a swift death on the spot.

I don't know what Ohio law is on the subject. Here is the Massachusetts statute:

G.L.c. 140, § 156. Killing dogs under certain conditions; wounded dogs.

Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, and if any person shall kill or attempt to kill a dog so found, and in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, he shall not be held liable for cruelty to the dog unless it shall be shown that he intended to be cruel to the dog, or that he acted with a wanton and reckless disregard for the suffering of the dog. Prompt killing of a wounded dog, or a prompt report to the owner or to a dog officer of the wounding of the dog, shall be considered evidence of sufficient regard for the suffering of the dog.

NOTE that it is NOT limited to protecting only people. [wink]

I agree with you there.

Pretty cut and dry. I wouldn't think twice about killing a dog while the owner watched if I thought one of my boys was in danger.

The scrivener is perhaps the top dog in the business of defending people in MA who shoot dogs in self defense - I think he has a perfect win record in multiple cases. (I'm counting bargaining one down to a $50 civil infraction as a "win" for the defense).

He's also an animal lover.

$50 fine is a win in my book.

ETA: I am a dog lover but would still not think twice. And if my dog had put another person in fear of their life I would expect the same. However I would never allow my dog to put someone in that situation.

Last edited:
Hey Scrivner. Post that Doggy Do & Doggy Dont

Hey Scrivner. Post that Doggy Legal Mumble Jumble on the Loweel Scum website.

Im sure they will like the way you look.

PS: Dont Molest Lobster in Mass. Its against the LAW!

Baxter_the_lobster.jpg

PS: I have a 130 pound BLACK LAB (she is big boned) that just loves to hunt. LABs and other hunting working dogs need to have room and be able to do their thing. wether that be hunting birds, bear, etc or hearding sheep and cattle. To keep the dog in a City like Lowell is just mean to the dog unless you make the commitment to bring it out in the field so it can get its excersise. Hopefully those folks from Colorado wont send a dog to Lowell. I dont I wound not do that to a dog. (Lawrence niether)

In Maine its: No hunting within 1000' of an Occupied dwelling without the owners permission.No shooting over Paved Roads

Last edited by a moderator:
Dwarven, I believe the law was changed to read "a building in use" or something like that to include barns or other out buildings not near your house.

Dwarven, I believe the law was changed to read "a building in use" or something like that to include barns or other out buildings not near your house.
Must have been so recently that they haven't updated the MassWildlife website... because I double-checked it there before posting.

I don't care who you are, look at those pictures and you will clearly see that the dog killed is NOT a Lab!

Hey Scrivner [sic]. Post that Doggy Legal Mumble Jumble [sic]on the Loweel [sic]Scum website.

Im [sic] sure they will like the way you look.

PS: Dont [sic] Molest Lobster in Mass. Its against the LAW!

PS: I have a 130 pound BLACK LAB (she is big boned) that just loves to hunt. LABs and other hunting working dogs need to have room and be able to do their thing. wether [sic] that be hunting birds, bear, etc or hearding [sic] sheep and cattle. To keep the dog in a City like Lowell is just mean to the dog unless you make the commitment to bring it out in the field so it can get its excersise [sic]. Hopefully those folks from Colorado wont [sic] send a dog to Lowell. I dont I wound [sic] not do that to a dog. (Lawrence niether [sic])

What I posted is relevant to the thread. Your inability to appreciate that fact does not change the validity of my post, nor the inanity of yours. [slap]

I'm sorry for her loss, it's a sad thing for her and her family.

However, she appears to have broken the leash law and been utterly clueless that there were hunters there. Does anybody know if there is a sign on the entrance to that forest that says hunting is allowed there? Usually there is one somewhere at most places.

Blaze orange should be put on all animals and people in the woods during hunting season. It's common sense regardless of the kind of animal wearing it.

Also, while it might seem nice for the dog owners to let their dogs run wild through the woods, it is NOT a fun thing to be walking in the woods and have a dog or dogs come running right at you. At the very least they may end up getting sprayed with pepper spray or end up getting shot. Keep them on leashes if you bring them into the woods.

The entrance to the state forest in my town is clearly marked that hunters might be in the woods and to act accordingly.

"judy
Lincoln, MA
Hunting shouldn't be allowed anywhere for sport.If you want meat go to a grocery store where tons of it is thrown away daily and pay for it like everyone else instead of killing defenseless animals of any kind , the poor dog died needlessly for some fool to play with a stupid gun that isn't even supposed to be allowed in Massachusetts.Weapons are illegal in MA and yet double standards are ok for idiots. "

Weapons are illegal? Better round up the Police and lock them up[rolleyes]

Ahh, I see you point... [wink] You're right. I was thinking about someone mistaking it for a deer. Which I don't believe was the case in this.

Hell, it could have just been someone who wanted to shoot something. We don't even know, really, if it was a hunter or not. And we won't until the guy either comes forward or gets tracked down somehow.

Absolutely. It's just that it can't automatically be explained by the typical knee jerk "some a$$hole hunter shot my dog on purpose"...

Coyote season is open. It could have been mistaken for a coyote.

Could have been, but I don't think I have ever seen a mostly black, tall, slender with a long slender snout short haired coyote.

Either way, we don't now, nor will likely ever know if it was a malicious act by a hunter or anyone else that might have been armed and out in those woods. As stated before in this thread, and in my conversation with another forum member, in this state if it were in defense of a charging dog I don't fault anyone for simply walking away. And the owner calling the dog a "Lab" stinks of insurance fraud!

Could have been, but I don't think I have ever seen a mostly black, tall, slender with a long slender snout short haired coyote.

Either way, we don't now, nor will likely ever know if it was a malicious act by a hunter or anyone else that might have been armed and out in those woods. As stated before in this thread, and in my conversation with another forum member, in this state if it were in defense of a charging dog I don't fault anyone for simply walking away. And the owner calling the dog a "Lab" stinks of insurance fraud!

Adam, I have seen a black coyote run down my neighbors driveway. Who by the way think there are no wild animals out here. [laugh] It looked like a coyote not dog.

Back
Top Bottom