Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Well, dog owners were warned. Though killing and burying the dog before telling the owner seems a little weird as well

SALISBURY, Mass. —
Police are investigating the deaths of two animals in Salisbury, a duck killed by a dog and the dog that was killed by the duck's owner last week.

Emily Meattey said her young daughter accidentally let the family's two dogs, Zoe and Grizzly, out of their home, which is in the area of Beach Road and Dock Lane in Salisbury. The dogs went to a home nearby where the homeowner keeps ducks.

Meattey said she heard a gunshot and then Grizzly came running back. Zoe did not.

"It’s not more or less that they shot her because that’s very traumatic, but it’s what they did after," Meattey said. "They didn’t do the right steps."

Meattey said her family spent days looking for Zoe because the shooter at first denied killing the dog.

A man who answered the door at that property, who spoke off-camera with NewsCenter 5, said they had previously warned the Meattey family they would defend the ducks if the dogs came by again. They followed through with that promise, shooting and killing Zoe.

"We told them, 'Next time it comes over, you're not going to get your dog back.' And then, the next time it came over, it had the duck in its mouth, dead," he said.

Still, There would be big problems if it was my dog, but law is mostly on side of shooter, until they did not promptly report.

Section 156: Killing dogs under certain conditions; wounded dogs​

Section 156. Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, and if any person shall kill or attempt to kill a dog so found, and in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, he shall not be held liable for cruelty to the dog unless it shall be shown that he intended to be cruel to the dog, or that he acted with a wanton and reckless disregard for the suffering of the dog. A person killing or wounding a dog under the conditions set out in this section shall promptly report to the owner, animal control officer or police officer such killing or wounding. Prompt killing of a wounded dog, or a prompt report to the owner or to a dog officer of the wounding of the dog, shall be considered evidence of sufficient regard for the suffering of the dog.

It's a good shoot - the dog owners should've kept their dogs off of their neighbor's property. He was simply defending his livestock, I have no problem with that.

That said, burying the dog and denying the killing for several days is really damn weird and downright creepy. Man up and own your actions, particularly when they were perfectly legal. I have no idea if there are legal ramifications for this behavior though.

It's a good shoot - the dog owners should've kept their dogs off of their neighbor's property. He was simply defending his livestock, I have no problem with that.

That said, burying the dog and denying the killing for several days is really damn weird and downright creepy. Man up and own your actions, particularly when they were perfectly legal. I have no idea if there are legal ramifications for this behavior though.
I thought we preached the SSS...........[smile]

Is notification by First-Class mail prompt enough?

I think I would have first at least notified animal control if it had happened before. I can't imagine that there is not going to be some legal issues with the town for doing this without any previous reporting of the problem. I personally would not have shot the dog, I would have reported it and tried to get the dog owner fined and get paid for my animals that were killed. I can only imagine there will be some other missing ducks in the near future that cannot be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom