• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the dog owner fully understands the situation better then many posters here.

“Meattey said she understands the shooter was within his rights to shoot the dog but she alleges that he didn't own up to the incident and notify the authorities after it occurred.”

That sounds exactly reasonable. Duck owner was completely justified in shooting the dog. Duck owner was also a loser if as the dog owner claims, not only didn’t own up to it but actually initially lied about it. That’s a scumbag move despite a justified shooting.

Reasonable assumption based on the fact the owner claims the shooter not only didn’t own up to it but lied about it. And when a reporter asked the shooter, he wouldn’t answer. Did you read the article or are you basing your opinions, ironically, based on even less?
How does that one go ?
Never invite the man into your life.

You know what would have happened if he did the right thing and reported it.
"Sorry we measured the shot at 499 ' 6" from the nearest road, we'll be taking your permit and guns now."
"Sorry we felt the shot was in an usafe direction , we'll be taking you permit and guns now .
You know the drill in this state.
SSSTFU.

i thought you had to be a farmer to be able to apply that MA rule to shooting dogs attacking livestock
if you have live stock you must be a farmer

I have owned chickens, cows horses, sheep, pigs, goats, and a few other things, have only had to shoot a few dogs.... but they deserved it.
the first one was right between the eyes with by BB gun at 10 pumps, Had a live chicken in its mouth and had busted into my coop, I was probably 9-10 years old

How does that one go ?
Never invite the man into your life.

You know what would have happened if he did the right thing and reported it.
"Sorry we measured the shot at 499 ' 6" from the nearest road, we'll be taking your permit and guns now."
"Sorry we felt the shot was in an usafe direction , we'll be taking you permit and guns now .
You know the drill in this state.
SSSTFU.

The 3 S's as they say.... Shoot... Shovel.... and STFU...

I'm not saying I am defending the dog owners. I have 2 dogs and try as I might I do run into problems where they want to run straight into the woods and then pop up in someone's yard. If they see someone else and I can't see them they are drawn to something new. All it takes is 3 seconds that's how fast they can disappear. I'm not saying I don't defend the guy shooting the dog, but what the hell kind of duck was it? Did it lay golden eggs or something?

...but what the hell kind of duck was it? Did it lay golden eggs or something?

I believe the variety of duck was called "somebody else's livestock."

That's all that really matters, anyway.

On a related note, bet the 4-year-old really feels like shit around now. Or Mom is lying and blaming the kid, which is far worse.

I'm not saying I am defending the dog owners. I have 2 dogs and try as I might I do run into problems where they want to run straight into the woods and then pop up in someone's yard. If they see someone else and I can't see them they are drawn to something new. All it takes is 3 seconds that's how fast they can disappear. I'm not saying I don't defend the guy shooting the dog, but what the hell kind of duck was it? Did it lay golden eggs or something?
It was the property owners duck. Jfc how are people not getting this.

The dogs did this before... dog owner was warned this would happen. Dog went again and got shot. This is not a complex math equation

A lot has to do with the way the dogs are raised, I have always had a dog, and always had chickens and live stock, I have never had problems with my own dog killing, it was the neighborhood pack, or a dog escaped from the pen or dog run, the escapee we would try to chase off.... it was the repeat offenders or packs that got shot or sometimes worse, had 2 dogs kill a pair of milking dairy goats to drink the milk from their udder.....they got the worse

We live in the sticks.

We let our chickens free range.

A couple of times we had a friendly dog and also 2 friendly dogs show up on the property and start to chase the chickens.

I was able to intervene both times and get them away and off the property and into the woods. Same dog(s) each time.

The 2nd time it happened, I realized that the power had gone out in our area, and the dogs both had transmitter type collars (that normally kept them on their property using an electric dog fence and the collars).

So, we now have a 12g shotgun loaded with less-lethal shells by the back door. It's marked with blue tape around the buttock to separate it from the 12g shotguns loaded with buck 00 for 4 legged predators.

The above being said, If less lethal rounds don't work, then they will get 12g 00 or rounds from a pistol that is carried in the warmer months. If it's attacking our flock, neither myself nor Cowgirlup will hesitate in putting it down.

Last edited:
What is that story I read about.. I think it was on this forum. "The Blank school of notification"
Someone lived in a town where you had to notify if you were using model r0ckets
He would go to a payphone and call the police and say "we are using the rockets today" with no other info and hangup. Notified

• Wow
Reactions: AHM
i probably told this story here before.
but my wife's father had a farm. and our kids, while visiting, said "boy, we should get chickens too!!!!"

seeing i have a barn, i closed off one section to make a chicken coop, nice place at night to lock them up, and a small area outside with chicken wire they can root around in during the day. It was their job to take care of the chickens....to make sure if they were out of the pen, to shoo them back in before nighttime, and feed/water them.

Our golden retriever carefully watched every minute of all this. And things went fine for about a month.

then one morning, my neighbor across the street calls up "Uh, there are some dead chickens on my driveway". i go over, and indeed, a couple dead chickens. i bagged them. he was taumatized. then i go back to the barn....notice a dead chicken here, another one there. out of about a dozen chickens, i could only find 2, and they were way up in the barn rafters afraid to come down. and sure enough, in prances our golden retriever showing off how she finally got all of those nasty birds for us! The dog was so proud. the kids had forgotten to lock the chickens up for the night, so they were out and about when we let the dog out to do her business.

that was the last time we tried to grow ANYTHING more mobile than some tomato plants.

It doesn't matter, could have just been a pet.
When my wife was a kid she had a bantam rooster for a pet .
Damn thing used to follow her around like a puppy.
If a dog killed the thing it would have been lights out doggy .

A lot has to do with the way the dogs are raised, I have always had a dog, and always had chickens and live stock, I have never had problems with my own dog killing, it was the neighborhood pack, or a dog escaped from the pen or dog run, the escapee we would try to chase off.... it was the repeat offenders or packs that got shot or sometimes worse, had 2 dogs kill a pair of milking dairy goats to drink the milk from their udder.....they got the worse
Emm...no. Some dogs just have it in their genes to kill small animals. Not a malignant thing, just like an untrained pointer will point, with no training. Had a friend that owned a Malamute, went over to visit a next door neighbor, about 10 ducklings were dabbling around on the lawn. Freakin dog grabbed EVERY ONE of them by the head and snapped their necks.....in about less than 10 seconds!

I had dog issues when I had chickens and thankfully never had to shoot one, though came very close.
The chickens were typically free range when someone was home and would usually be able to dodge dogs and other predators but not always. You’d hear the commotion and go running out and whatever was causing the problem would exit, sometimes with a chicken.

Had a lab type mutt coming in hunting chickens on a weekly or so basis and I actually had the crosshairs on him and just couldn’t do it, “not really the dogs fault” sort of thinking. Figured it was from a development up the road by the direction it always ran off in so canvased the neighborhood asking anyone I saw out and about if they were familiar with the critter. Told everyone that next time I saw it would be the last time anyone did. Never had a problem after that.

The next episode was a hound type that I watched through my scope swallow a bantam whole. Was between me and the neighbors house so couldn’t take a safe shot or I would’ve. Chased after him and caught up up the road and coaxed him in enough to get ahold of his collar and get the numbers. Called animal control, he talked to the owners, they Apologized, offered to pay and swore it wouldn’t happen again. Told him to relay same deal as last dog that if I saw it ever again they wouldn’t. He affirmed that I was completely within my rights to shoot it.

Emm...no. Some dogs just have it in their genes to kill small animals. Not a malignant thing, just like an untrained pointer will point, with no training. Had a friend that owned a Malamute, went over to visit a next door neighbor, about 10 ducklings were dabbling around on the lawn. Freakin dog grabbed EVERY ONE of them by the head and snapped their necks.....in about less than 10 seconds!
Emm... yes, regardless of breeding and instinct a lot has to do with the way they are raised,

Maybe the duck owner was just a friend of Joe Banks...?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze6ekb-Fcm8

iu

Leave Joe Banks out of this!

He was busy touching valves that had "DO NOT TOUCH" signage, lifting the moon all by his onesies while floating about in the middle of the Pacific, and doing his best to save Abe Vigoda, his people the Waponi Woo and their island.

We should all aspire to be as selfless as Joe Banks.

tumblr_llxzszrGjD1qa1rqpo1_500.gif

iu

1646179450252.png

if the guy's gate was opened or he only had a 3 foot fence he really didn't do a lot to mitigate such an occurrence...

Any wild animal could have gotten in to kill the ducks too.

So how were wild predators kept at bay but domesticated dogs were able to enter the yard?

if the guy's gate was opened or he only had a 3 foot fence he really didn't do a lot to mitigate such an occurrence...

Any wild animal could have gotten in to kill the ducks too.

So how were wild predators kept at bay but domesticated dogs were able to enter the yard?

By law this is irrelevant. The duck owner stopped what he saw, reportedly.

Wait a minute. Is the duck owner current, former or retired AFT? Or a member of some other Federal law enforcement agency?

Could've just been his training kicking in - you know - See dog; Shoot dog!

we talking about the dog owner here
no... the duck guy. I assume he has a fenced in yard of some sort...

I know a guy who has chickens and his yard has a six foot fence all around his yard plus he has a fenced in coop for at night.

if the duck guy doesn't have a fences then how have wild predators not killed his ducks?

Who are you to judge how someone else should feel about their pet.... whatever it was...

I prefer dogs to people. But years ago I had a pet duck that I rescued after an ice storm. He lived in my back yard, couldn't fly. I made him a little shelter and put bird seed out for him. If I called him when he was in the water, he'd honk at me. I might have shot a dog that killed him. It would depend on the circumstances, and oddly enough..... the dog. If it was a cocker spaniel, I wouldn't have. (they are real biters, but I like them) I would have brought charges against the neighbor.

Forgot to mention........Salisbury is right next to Seabrook... make of that what you will.

I read 3 pages and seems like a tie. However, I'm with the duck man. Aside story. I grew up on a small farm in Ireland. Back then dogs roamed around and very often formed packs and went after sheep. Lots of stories where famers grab a shot gun and send Lassie to it eternal dog pound. We had a dog chase our cattle once and I went and got my dad (at the time I was about 12), old enough to shoot but not old enough to shoot the dog myself. So, my dad and I went back down to our field and here's two dogs chasing the cattle all over the place. One was the same one I just saw earlier. So the mutts see us and the I saw earlier runs straight across the field toward us barking and snarling. My dad looks at me and said....should I let him pass us first...I said sure. Once the mutt was within 20 feet or so I let out a big whistle and it reared up and turned running away. My dad smiled and said...should I....I said let it go 50 yard and see if lassie will do a wheelie of his front paws. Sure enough, pop goes the gun, yelp goes the dog and it did a fine wheelie and it kept going. A few days later the dog owner came knocking on our door complaining about the vet bill and said he was going to get my dad in trouble. I opened the living room door and said.....Dad this lad wants money for pulling lead shot out of his dogs ass. My dad said out loud...if that bollix doesn't get off my step he be pulling more than lead out of his own ass. There you have it....he left and we never saw him or his dog again. Like I said....I'm with the duck man.

no... the duck guy. I assume he has a fenced in yard of some sort...

I know a guy who has chickens and his yard has a six foot fence all around his yard plus he has a fenced in coop for at night.

if the duck guy doesn't have a fences then how have wild predators not killed his ducks?
maybe there are no wild animal in the area, because the dogs chase them off

I have had free range chickens for years, on about 5 acres, no fence other than some field with 4 rail fencing and metal livestock fencing, livestock fencing will keep dogs out if it is tight to the ground, but chickens, fishers, coons, fox, can all get through and so will dogs if determined, I have been losing more chickens to hawks the past year, the chicken coop is well fortified with a house and 10X12 run fenced in for night predators, gets locked after sunset and unlocked lately about 6;30AM, Coyotes are skittish they never enter a fenced in area,

maybe there are no wild animal in the area, because the dogs chase them off

I have had free range chickens for years, on about 5 acres, no fence other than some field with 4 rail fencing and metal livestock fencing, livestock fencing will keep dogs out if it is tight to the ground, but chickens, fishers, coons, fox, can all get through and so will dogs if determined, I have been losing more chickens to hawks the past year, the chicken coop is well fortified with a house and 10X12 run fenced in for night predators, gets locked after sunset and unlocked lately about 6;30AM, Coyotes are skittish they never enter a fenced in area,
Need roosters man they keep hawks out

Reactions: AMV
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom