• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the gun charges for both guys are the most serious. Two (potentially) more prohibited persons for life added to the list. Should have used a good powerful air rifle or compound bow with 100 grain Muzzie broadheads.

Or he could have gone out, picked up the dog by the scruff of the neck, and brought it home to its little girl. Just sayin'

Or he could have gone out, picked up the dog by the scruff of the neck, and brought it home to its little girl. Just sayin'
Does he get to give her his dead pet duck as well?

My mom once told me about when I was a little kid and a neighborhood dog got loose and killed our cat. My dad apparently went to the owner's house and threw the dead cat at his chest. And then later learned that it wasn't our cat when our cat showed up for dinner. Not sure if the story is apocryphal.

"[L]awful defense of property" would be the only applicable one, but does that apply here? Does shooting a dog that kills a duck count as lawful defense of property? And, yes, I know he's been jacked up on no FID/LTC, but let's assume he had one.
Couple simple questions you need to ask, Do you own the duck? IF yes it is your property. Did you defend your property (the duck)? you can look up the definition of defend if you need to. But I am pretty sure the duck was attacked because it is dead, so that would be a Yes also. I have personal experience having grown up in a farming community, and having had dogs attach my property

edit to add, "defending life and property" the duck meets the definition of Life, so it looks like it could be argued he was double covered

LIFE
1 the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
"the origins of life"
2 the existence of an individual human being or animal.

Last edited:
Just saw the jackass who shot the dog on the news. He’s a retard. He looks like Jim Carey’s character in dumb and dumber and probably is 1/2 as bright.

He’s a pos.

You guys have never shot a dog running deer? We have a lot of shitty pet owners in western PA, maybe it’s not a problem where you live. I’ve seen two and three dogs working together, or they were working together.
A CO in the next town over warned a guy about his dog running deer twice. Third visit, the owner came to the door and the fishcop dropped the dead dog on the stoop and walked away.

As for this case, well, Salisbury's next to Seabrook [rolleyes]

just saw him on the news as well. They said he told the police he shot the dog with bird shot and the dog was not dead. So to ease the dog from any additional suffering he strangled the dog with his bare hands until it was dead.

It doesn't matter, could have just been a pet.
When my wife was a kid she had a bantam rooster for a pet .
Damn thing used to follow her around like a puppy.
If a dog killed the thing it would have been lights out doggy .
my wife had a duck like that, when she was a kid. she called it pete the duck.

Reactions: AHM
A CO in the next town over warned a guy about his dog running deer twice. Third visit, the owner came to the door and the fishcop dropped the dead dog on the stoop and walked away.

As for this case, well, Salisbury's next to Seabrook [rolleyes]
that is apparentlhy a north east thing.

was talking to someone in AZ, and they never heard of anyone shooting a dog running deer. he though i was nutz
i forget exactlhy what he said, but something like a $1000 fine if you are caught shootin animals like that, including coyotes.

• Sad
Reactions: AHM
This sure is an out yourself as a person who should never , and I mean never own a dog thread.
"Muh baby can kill , maim and generally cause mayhem and you better not do anything about it. "
A lot of members of the tribe of dindo.
"But i love my fur baby !! " Hint , no you don't or you'd take better care to keep them out of trouble.
Wonder if some of the same people have any idea where their kids are right now ?

It's a cinch those dogs didn't encounter the ducks the second time
because they were loping around the neighborhood on a random walk,
just sniffing the roses.

As soon as they escaped they made a beeline
for where they saw the ducks the first time.

If I can figure that out,
you'd think the dog owners would maybe realize that
they should keep them actually tied up
instead of Double Secret Maybe Tied Up.

Q: Does this ingenious notification law immunize the shooter
against civil or criminal actions?
(Yeah, right).

I just want to say, I had a Husky that killed a duck once. ... he pulled on the leash ... and he had a duck in his mouth. ...
Did the same to a cat once. ... I had two dogs, so I smacked the Husky ... and the other dog caught it. Smacked the other dog, he passed the cat to the Husky. ...I didnt know WTF to do with two dogs and a dead cat [laugh] ...
You need this:
Amazon product ASIN 0517545160
Your dogs already have this:

... Both dogs had a leash.
"Had a leash".
Which end were they holding?
Passive Voice Fail.
cartoon-dog-walking-his-owner-vector-cartoon-dog-walking-his-owner-vector-illustration-145887642.jpg

My parents' cats would walk my mother all over the front yard.
Unless she tripped.
Then they'd drag her all over the front yard.
Do try to keep up, lady.

The Collie made an electrician piss himself once. ... Aparently the dude finished some electrical work, she ... heard a noise, went to the living room and the dog was standing up against the guy with its front paws on his chest, growling at him. The dude pissed himself. [rofl]
A master electrician could fix that problem.

What is that story I read about.. I think it was on this forum. "The Blank school of notification"
Someone lived in a town where you had to notify if you were using model r0ckets
He would go to a payphone and call the police and say "we are using the rockets today" with no other info and hangup. Notified
[wave]
My anecdote (about some other guy).

Slightly less radical than you remember,
but at least you've internalized the distinction between
"notification" and "permission".

... i have ... a chicken coop, ... Our golden retriever carefully watched every minute of all this. ... then one morning, my neighbor across the street calls up "Uh, there are some dead chickens on my driveway". ... in prances our golden retriever showing off how she finally got all of those nasty birds for us! The dog was so proud. ... that was the last time we tried to grow ANYTHING more mobile than some tomato plants.
Dear God, don't get a Labrador Picker.
#ProTip

... I grew up on a small farm in Ireland. Back then dogs roamed around and very often formed packs and went after sheep. Lots of stories where famers grab a shot gun and send Lassie to it eternal dog pound. We had a dog chase our cattle once ...

The one thing that will set me off is if a dog comes onto my property unattended and starts barking at me, it is going to have a bad day. No way I would shoot someone's dog but I have gotten some direct hits with fist sized rocks.
Dogs are supposed to menace you when you go onto THEIR property NOT yours.
You need a higher class of local dogs.

Word is, if they were more evolved,
they'd run as soon as you grabbed the rock.

It's the failed cover up that will get you every time!
FTFY.

"Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up" doesn't necessarily mean
"dig the grave in your own back yard".
[rolleyes]
#ProTip

The law also allows you to shoot the dog if it hassles a person.
Thanks for reminding me.
images

"Salisbury police announced Wednesday that after a thorough, weeklong investigation, they arrested 28-year-old Jacob Dow at his Beach Road home."
My next prediction:
Duck Guys are also not smart enough to hire a premiere Mass Gun Lawyer.

When I lived in Lawrence, I knew plenty of dogs who would gladly have rid you of most of your facial features if you attempted that. Projectile weapons such as firearms provide the advantage of distance from your adversary. Distance provides safety. That is why LE officers and soldiers carry such weapons.

i probably told this story here before.
but my wife's father had a farm. and our kids, while visiting, said "boy, we should get chickens too!!!!"

seeing i have a barn, i closed off one section to make a chicken coop, nice place at night to lock them up, and a small area outside with chicken wire they can root around in during the day. It was their job to take care of the chickens....to make sure if they were out of the pen, to shoo them back in before nighttime, and feed/water them.

Our golden retriever carefully watched every minute of all this. And things went fine for about a month.

then one morning, my neighbor across the street calls up "Uh, there are some dead chickens on my driveway". i go over, and indeed, a couple dead chickens. i bagged them. he was taumatized. then i go back to the barn....notice a dead chicken here, another one there. out of about a dozen chickens, i could only find 2, and they were way up in the barn rafters afraid to come down. and sure enough, in prances our golden retriever showing off how she finally got all of those nasty birds for us! The dog was so proud. the kids had forgotten to lock the chickens up for the night, so they were out and about when we let the dog out to do her business.

that was the last time we tried to grow ANYTHING more mobile than some tomato plants.
It seems from personal experience with friends and reading the towns faceberg page that having chickens is just supplying food for the weasels, coyotes, whatever. You may get eggs for a month or two, but they always wind up being snacks for the critters.

Dog owner at fault 100% control your dog, period. I live out in the sticks, I'm well aware of my dogs proclivity for running game, as such, I keep her on a check cord when I take her out so she's under my control.

I also raise chickens and other animals time to time. They free range. Coons, possums, hawks and whatnot get dealt with and when nature wins, I shrug, it is what it is.

I see a neighbors dog harrowing my animals, ill politely inform him with the implication that the behavior isn't welcome.

I see it again, it might get a warning with a shot in the dirt in front of its nose. If any harm is done I expect compensation for my animals.

Last week, son and his wife was over. Daughter in law says, hey, there's a cat in your woods. I see a housecat stalking through the woods on a line to my chickens. I thought opening the door and stepping out onto the porch would scare it away but it didn't. It continued its stalk, obviously hunting. "Son, gimme that rifle" my boy hands me a 22 lever from behind the door thats there for such tasks. Now the wife is yelling, "don't shoot the cat, what if its the neighbors" we don't really have neighbors, and the ones I know, I know their animals. So to appease the wife case she was wanting to be soft, I shot the gravel at its feet and ran off.

My choices were watch my bird(s) get killed, or protect them. I've got money into these birds, their feed, coop, run, and care. They provide for me. Im not standing by while some poorly managed animal takes that away from me.

On the other side of the coin, if my dog got out and I heard a gunshot, only to discover my beloved dog got out and was chasing goats down the road and got shot, I gotta take responsibility for that.

I've seen posts and replies like, build a better coop, keep emnin bla bla bla. For as freedom minded as most here claim to be, seems to be plenty who are comfortable telling other how to manage their property...on their property.

Be responsible for your shit and what it does.

It seems from personal experience with friends and reading the towns faceberg page that having chickens is just supplying food for the weasels, coyotes, whatever. You may get eggs for a month or two, but they always wind up being snacks for the critters.
I usually get 12-15 chickens at about $3 each as chicks, takes about 20 weeks for them to start laying, each one will lay 5-6 eggs a week or 250-300 a year. They free rang all day and lock them up at night, let em out in morning, don't really feed much when they free range. I am not overly protective of them so by about the third year I will be down to 3-4 survivors of the originals. by that time egg production is drying up or they are laying outside the nesting boxes, I try to keep a rooster around so I get the random batch of chicks pop out from under a bush on occasion, I have dogs so we keep the chickens to keep the ticks under control, hardly ever see tics with the chickens around. then repeat the cycle every few years in spring with new chicks.

Couple simple questions you need to ask, Do you own the duck? IF yes it is your property. Did you defend your property (the duck)? you can look up the definition of defend if you need to. But I am pretty sure the duck was attacked because it is dead, so that would be a Yes also. I have personal experience having grown up in a farming community, and having had dogs attach my property

edit to add, "defending life and property" the duck meets the definition of Life, so it looks like it could be argued he was double covered

LIFE
1 the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
"the origins of life"
2 the existence of an individual human being or animal.
OK, so, you're not serious and are just trolling for comments. The above would get laughed out of any court in any state of the union, let alone Massachusetts. This is as ridiculous to someone who tries to defend himself against a firearm license issue in MA by standing in front of the judge and intoning "Shall not be infringed !" as though it would be given any weight.

So, does anyone have any useful comments on the question?

Yes, we all know the dogs were off leash. But even so if duck boy had a proper fence or enclosure the dogs would not have been able to get in the yard or at the ducks even if off the leash.

Lots of wrong here for sure but duck boy is the one in jail.

Duck boy would have been better off setting up video cameras and having the dog owners fined and made to pay for his duck.

Now it will seemingly cost him a little freedom and possibly a lot of money.

the reason he was arrested was for his license status and the rest fell out from that. If he had his LTC or this was in NH he doesn't get charged. Still a good shot.

OK, so, you're not serious and are just trolling for comments. The above would get laughed out of any court in any state of the union, let alone Massachusetts. This is as ridiculous to someone who tries to defend himself against a firearm license issue in MA by standing in front of the judge and intoning "Shall not be infringed !" as though it would be given any weight.

So, does anyone have any useful comments on the question?
Like I have said I live in a farming community, Have dealt with issues like this in the past. there is a reason things don't make it to court, Because it is no illegal

Like I have said I live in a farming community, Have dealt with issues like this in the past. there is a reason things don't make it to court, Because it is no illegal
Sure. You live in a farming community where the houses are less than 500' apart.

Okay, We have chickens and we do not loose birds to predators. We have a coop, a net covered 20 x 20 pen. I did have fox try and dig his way in. The next day he was in a 1.75 foothold trap. We get eggs year round and every year cull out the two year old birds and add new birds to replace them. The old birds are dispatched and taken out in the woods for the predators to have. (once the chickens start laying, they are too old to be meat birds).

You can build a predator proof coop and run easy enough. But just depends on how many birds you have and why, like what's your goal and can your area let them thrive. If you can free range a majority of the time, the birds are happy, bugs are under control and poop isn't as concentrated so there's less clean up. But if you live in a predator heavy area where free range isn't an option, then coop and run size is more important because they need room.

IMO, cities and developed area are worse for predators. Tons of cats, coons, and possums living comfortably with nothing to keep them in check and they're not terribly weary of humans.

I live pretty rural. No neighbors, just woods and crop fields. Wild animals are naturally weary of human presence and we don't see them much.

My biggest concern are hawks and owls. And birds I've lost has been to the aforementioned.

Its a gamble I take so my chickens can free range. I've lost 3 in 4 years.

The chickens smarten up, they hang out in wooded areas with overhead cover. When they do wonder into an open field, my rooster is out there on watch and when a hawk settles in a nearby tree or circles overhead, he has this little dance he does and they all haul ass for cover.

But if you just want a dozen eggs every week for the family and only want 3 or so hems for fun, sure, a predator proof rock solid coop.and run isn't hard. Still though, you don't want your chickens getting harrased and stressed with the constant attack on them, so predators have to be dealt with, so get a live trap and some 22 shorts

I actually met my neighbor because his chickens were in my yard, he lives across the street, there is a a pop up camper on the side yard. I pull up one day and I see a guy walking around the trailer and ducking down. I park get out and go “um hello”. He pops up and has a plastic container, he goes oh I’m sorry I’m trying to get my chickens back across the street. He had a bin of corn kernels and was tossing them to lead them back to his yard. I didn’t care.

Coyotes will cut across my back yard (woods) and then go along the property line to cross the street to his house to try and get the chickens. My dog doesn’t go out in the yard without me so I just scan the yard. I be run into them a few times but they have never bothered me. Other than announcing a kill in the middle of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom