Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love dogs and i freaking hate birds too. But the principal of this story is very simple
It’s hardly even a story… To me it’s more about people who can’t take care of their own shit..

I’m basically Joe exotic over here, As long as your animals are living in a better situation than you are, you are a decent person. Otherwise you’re a piece of shit

I’ve been trying to take on this animal control job for like two months. I would have a real hard time with animal abuse. I don’t even need the badge and a gun, a bag of bacon, some treats and a short length of rope…. But apparently you need a degree make $30,000 a year. Horses do make me nervous… It’s because their smart enough to know I’m a retard…

I’ve been around way scarier things… These animals aren’t stupid they can sense when you’re scared

Defending livestock is fine and the duck owner did what they had every right too.

my question is. Does defending livestock exempt you from the 500 foot of a dwelling rule

@enbloc said something like that too but I didn’t get his reference. Inside joke? Is he from the feudal W Virginia mountains or something? lol
One of the threads in the last day or so had a meme about Appalachia. Or very own 'Critter mentioned that his grandmother (IIRC) was a genuine WV Hatfield.

Defending livestock is fine and the duck owner did what they had every right too.

my question is. Does defending livestock exempt you from the 500 foot of a dwelling rule
That’s the only advantage a badge would give me..
The ability to put a deer down in the road… Without law enforcement status.. It comes down to a knife or running it over again.

I’m not talking about animal cruelty I’m talking about handling a situation

The one thing that will set me off is if a dog comes onto my property unattended and starts barking at me, it is going to have a bad day. No way I would shoot someone's dog but I have gotten some direct hits with fist sized rocks.
Dogs are supposed to menace you when you go onto THEIR property NOT yours.

Tragedy all around. A duck and a dog are dead because of shitty people. I care way more about animals than people. I feel for the duck’s owner but I also feel for the dog, for being, a dog.

pretty sure that you are allowed to defend livestock. I personally would not want to shoot a pet dog.
A chow attacked my dog at a dog park and the owner froze so I stepped in to get the chow off of my dog and it turned on me and bit my hand and drew blood. I wanted to shoot the dog but it was really the owners fault for not being able to control her dog. I told her that she shouldn't bring her dog to the park and she brought it to another park where it killed another dog and the court ordered the dog to be put down.

well, I don't think he was hunting, so the 500ft thing doesn't mean much

I like Dogs more than people. Many years ago I lived in a neighborhood where the guy across the street was an assumed drug dealer. His Attack dog would run in my yard around 5am when he let him out. I knocked on his door and said “please keep your dog in your yard”. He said “my dog doesn’t go in your yard” I said “the next time your dog comes in my yard when I am out there with my dog or my son, I will shoot your f’n dog and knock on your door again saying get your dead dog out of my yard”. Never a problem after that

well, I don't think he was hunting, so the 500ft thing doesn't mean much

what does hunting have to do with the 500 ft rule

i did look up the wording though for this scenario
The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property

what does hunting have to do with the 500 ft rule

i did look up the wording though for this scenario
The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property
or target ranges, test ranges etc... that only leaves hunting, or shooting randomly without predetermined target area.....kind of like hunting

I’m with the duck owner up to not reporting it. Shoulda let the animal control officer know and allow them to inform the home owner.

Almost got into a fist fight with my neighbors son over something similar, he had a new bird dog of some kind that came rushing into my yard and was throwing itself against my chicken run, I had to go over to her yard and let him know what was going on. He couldn’t get the dog to recall and had to go over and drag the dog away, no harm no foul he apologized and said it wouldn’t happen again.

A week later he’s visiting again and his dog comes flying back over only I’m out side this time with my dog Duke and they go at it, I call Duke off and he bolts into the house and this guys dog goes back at the chicken run, I holler over to the son and he said he’d be over in a minute, I try to pull his dog back and it snapped at me so I grabbed a pick axe handle and cracked it over the head, it’s stunned and runs back over to the neighbors house, He comes running over threatening to kick my a$$ and sue me he’s got $1000’s tied up into this dog and it’s highly trained blah blah blah I call the animal control officer in town and she tells him if his dog comes on my property again she expects me to shoot it. Haven’t seen him or the dog since.

But if duck boy had an inappropriate enclosure / structure he could bear some of the responsibility too.

And if so is shooting the dog at that point legal or could one argue he was baiting the dogs?

Why? What don't you understand? The dog was on someone else's property killing their livestock.

"Baiting" the dogs. [rofl]That's a good one.

@enbloc said something like that too but I didn’t get his reference. Inside joke? Is he from the feudal W Virginia mountains or something? lol
That's what I was referring to. His Hatfield relatives...

Lived out in Nebraska for while and had an English Pointer that was a super good hunting dog. She got lose one time and raided the neighbor's chicken pen/coop. Neighbor got pissed and shot her in the ass with a 12 GA. Spent that night picking buckshot out her hind legs. Thankfully no permanent damage and she healed up pretty quick.

A few weeks later she was lose and running but still on our property. We knew she was lose and were outside with her. Damn neighbor takes a shot at her from his window. Went over and told the neighbor I understood why he shot her when she was after his chickens but if he ever took another shot at her while she was still on our property I was going to stuff his 12GA up his ass. After that we always made sure to let her run on the other side of the property away from his side.

According to article he notified and warned the owner of the dogs behavior. As far as having the ducks, maybe raising them for food or eggs??
Even if it is considered a justified use of deadly force, the duck's owner could easily have his LTC revoked and his guns confiscated for being "unsuitable". Not sure about Salisbury, but some MA police chiefs are very anti-gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom