• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Dog' Loses Extradition Battle in Mexico

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
LINK

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — A federal court has cleared the way for TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman to be extradited to face charges in Mexico, court officials said.

Norma Jara, a spokeswoman for the second district court in Guadalajara, said the court rejected Chapman's injunction request, ruling there was no reason not to try him with the charge of deprivation of liberty of Mexico.

"We only just heard about the Mexican court's decision to continue with the extradition proceedings, and are still in shock," Chapman and his wife, Beth, said in a statement issued Thursday night in Honolulu.

"Our attorneys have not even been formally informed of the court's decision, as of yet," they said. "We are obviously deeply disappointed and fearful of what will happen, and are currently absorbing the news and discussing our options at this time."

Mexican authorities had already asked for Chapman's extradition from Hawaii.

Chapman's lawyers argued he would not be guaranteed a fair trial in Mexico, Jara said.

The charges against the 53-year-old star of the A&E reality series "Dog the Bounty Hunter" stem from his June 2003 capture of convicted rapist Andrew Luster, the Max Factor heir, in Puerto Vallarta, 210 miles west of Guadalajara.

Chapman was arrested Sept. 14 along with his son and another associate and released on $300,000 bail. He faces up to four years in a Mexican jail if convicted.

Luster's capture shot the Honolulu-based bounty hunter to fame and led to the TV series. His disappearance set off an international manhunt by police, FBI and bounty hunters trying to recoup some of the bond money. Luster is serving a 124-year prison term.

Dog is a clown, but this is bulls**t. We should make a deal with the Mexicans:

We'll send you Dog if you'll also take back the 8 million Mexican criminals currently living in the US.

Dog is a clown, but this is bulls**t. We should make a deal with the Mexicans:

We'll send you Dog if you'll also take back the 8 million Mexican criminals currently living in the US.

And while you're at it, hand over every damn cop killer and drug trafficer on whom we've got warrants. ... What's that? ... Yeah, I didn't think so.

Ken

what is the deal with Mexico dictating American policy as of late?
im at a total loss.

If you remember back to Bush's first term he was on pretty good terms with Vicente Fox. Bush also has Hispanic blood in his family I believe. I guess on the plus side you can't say he is prejudiced. It would be nice though if he wasn't selling out this country to prove it.

The whole thing is disgusting!!

We'll let 11 million illegals into the country, but when one of our own captures a rapist south of the border, he's going to jail? Don't that beat all!

Here's what we should give them,
middle-finger.jpg

I think "dog" is an asshat, but USA should not be handing anybody over to no foreign court for something such as this. I could see if he was wanted for murder, rape or some criminal activity, but this is just wrong.

I think "dog" is an asshat, but USA should not be handing anybody over to no foreign court for something such as this. I could see if he was wanted for murder, rape or some criminal activity, but this is just wrong.

Technically he is alleged to have engaged in criminal activity. The charge is "deprivation of liberty".

Normally, I'd say that if you're in a foreign country, you should abide by local laws, and be prepared to pay the price if you don't. However in this case, Dog was apprehending a convicted serial rapist; a rapist that was using his money and a corrupt goverment to thumb his nose at the US criminal justice system. The US should move heaven and earth to get people like that back here in prison. We should block extradition.

Blocking extradition might seem satisfying on an emotional level, but if the proper procedures were followed, a U.S. judge has no choice.

I guess Dog's wife will have to take over his TV show. That'll certainly give it a different look and feel.

Blocking extradition might seem satisfying on an emotional level, but if the proper procedures were followed, a U.S. judge has no choice.

I guess Dog's wife will have to take over his TV show. That'll certainly give it a different look and feel.

They will have to change the name of the show to "Real Dog" Female Bounty Hunter

Tough luck for Dog.
You can't break the law to enforce the law.
There was a treaty signed with Mexico in 1978 forbidding illegal extradition without formal proceedings.

The guy is kind of a clown, but he's not dumb, and I'd guess that he had decent connections.

I don't understand why he just didn't hide out for a couple of weeks when he knew that the statute of limitations clock was running down. At least he'd have some ammo to fight the extradition.

Tough luck for Dog.
There was a treaty signed with Mexico in 1978 forbidding illegal extradition without formal proceedings.

I agree. The other side of the coin would be if Mexican agents came into the US to arrest someone on a Mexican warrant. Or agents from any other country for that matter. Illegal immigration is an entirely different matter and should not be conflated with this issue.

I never watch the show and don't care one way or the other what happens to this guy.

The rule of law should be followed, which seems to be the case here.

Gary

Tough luck for Dog.

When did this clown start enforcing the law???? He is a frickin bounty hunter NOT a Law Enforcement Officer. What he does provides a service to a bail bondsman but don't confuse what he does with enforcing any law.

You are correct. He was only breaking the law so that he can make money and so that somebody else can enforce the law.

Here's some info on Dog from Wikipedia...

"Duane Lee Chapman was born to father Wesley and mother Barbara. Chapman grew up with three younger siblings in Denver, Colorado. Before becoming a bounty hunter, Chapman had frequent scrapes with the law, including 18 arrests for armed robbery. In 1977, Chapman was convicted of murder; he was sentenced to 5 years of hard labor. He attained parole in 1979, and maintains that he is innocent of the original charges, as it was a fellow gang member who actually committed the murder.[1]"

He sucks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom