Dog owner shoots aggressive dog at Hooksett rest stop

“In a place like this, you can just let your dog run free. But when you're out in public, if your dog is aggressive you definitely need to keep it on a leash,” Leeann Ketcham said. “But I just feel really, really bad for the dog that died.”

Of all the creatures involved I'd say the shitty dead dog is the least deserving of any sympathy.

I'm not even sure that the dog's owner was irresponsible, the article said the dog broke out of the car. Sounds like he knew his dog was aggressive, and left it in the car while he went to the bathroom and the dog just got out (no evidence of this, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt - he could be an a*****e and left the dog in the car to broil while he had lunch, I don't know).

Sometimes bad things happen. Lucky for the small dog its owner was able to protect it.

Some dog owners have zero control of their dog, while the dog is just a animal the owners should be more responsible and work with their dogs to control them.

I had an accident once with my wifes small dog while at a clinic he was at my side on his little leash when a Rottweiler in front of me wanted a snack. as I was attempting to grab him I ended up having to put my boot on the bigger dogs neck while the owner got pissed the animal officer there actually kicked him out.

You don't let your dog roam free around other unknown dogs.

It wasn't clear if the dog actually broke out from the story.

Of all the creatures involved I'd say the shitty dead dog is the least deserving of any sympathy.

LOL

I've seen people online that are normally sensible folk call for the head of the shooter. These are SHOOTERS mind you. "It's not the dog's fault. It's tantamount to murder!"

Its tough with dogs. I hope the owner of the small dog wasnt over reacting or misreading the situation. Alot of people get nervous when big dogs play. With that said it was probably justified. The only situation where i ever seriously thought i may have to use my firearm was with a dog.

While walking my dog in the woods an unleashed dog runs down from a nearby back yard. He pretty clearly thought those trails were an extention of his territory because he ran down barking and stood in the middle of the trail blocking our pass. My dog was leashes and picked up on the aggression of the other dog. I wasnt sure what to do. Risk passing by and being mauled, or turn and retreat which could have been an opportunity for the dog to strike. No option seemed great. Fortunately it worked out. I just remeber thinking i hope it doesnt go that far. Of course the gun would have been a last resort

Although I agree the pet owners are 100% responsible for their animals actions.. I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) in NH that pets are considered property. If the large dog was attacking smaller dogs owner then yea stop the threat. But using your firearm to stop a dog attacking your dog may result in the gun owner getting charged.

I could not find a specific law for the situation at hand but I found this:

627:8 Use of Force in Property Offenses. – A person is justified in using force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what is or reasonably appears to be an unlawful taking of his property, or criminal mischief, or to retake his property immediately following its taking; but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4.

Last edited:
LOL

I've seen people online that are normally sensible folk call for the head of the shooter. These are SHOOTERS mind you. "It's not the dog's fault. It's tantamount to murder!"
What's the over-under as to how many days until Bloomturd and/or Mom's Against come out slamming the shooter?....
"But the 'gunman' (they'll never say 'legal gun owner'.. since 'gunman' sounds more ratings-boosting, etc) should have at least tried to talk to and reason with the unfortunate pooch, and attempted more strenuously to diffuse the hostile situation before resorting to more violence, deadly force and...(blah blah blah)"

Just sayin'

i have encountered aggressive dogs while hiking deep in the woods. Some where jsut way ahead of their ******* dog owners, some appeared to be wild. But it is nice to have a handgun ready in such cases.....in case the dog is not all bark....

627:8 Use of Force in Property Offenses. – A person is justified in using force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what is or reasonably appears to be an unlawful taking of his property, or criminal mischief, or to retake his property immediately following its taking; but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4.

But this isn't force against another, it is force against property, right?

I still say this was a good shoot, I can't get over the amount of people who go bananas over a dog's life. I know we all love our pets, but sometimes I really think people believe the Disney movies where animals talk to people and all that jazz.

Did the big dog worry any livestock or chase deer?

(Little dog owner's justification if he gets jammed up for this.)

But...but..couldn't he have fired a warning shot...or just shot the dog in the leg???

I still say this was a good shoot, I can't get over the amount of people who go bananas over a dog's life. I know we all love our pets, but sometimes I really think people believe the Disney movies where animals talk to people and all that jazz.

I like dogs better than the majority of people, I guess I'm out of the norm. They're just always happy to see you regardless of how crappy the day went. It was a good shoot in my opinion. And if walking the trails and there is a leash law if a dog comes running up and aggressive then too bad, the owner shouldn't be irresponsible enough to think "my dog wouldn't do anything" it's still an animal regardless of how well trained, it happens. But I still like them better.

Shitty dog owner.
Good shoot.
I love dogs and have had them all my life, but the world is not your out of control mutt's chew toy.

Always carry spray when walking dogs -- I've seen more than one person bit when they reached into the scrum to break up a fight. Even if you have a handgun, you won't always get a clear shot, but you can mace your own dog and only feel a little guilty about it.

You don't let your dog roam free around other unknown dogs. It wasn't clear if the dog actually broke out from the story
Video news report says the larger dog jumped out of the open window of a parked car.

ConcordMonitor said:
The owner of the smaller dog fired a single shot from close range after attempts to free his dog were unsuccessful, killing the attacking dog, police said.

The shooter’s dog was taken to a Concord-area veterinarian for treatment after sustaining injuries in the attack that were not deemed life-threatening, officials said. Police did not name anyone involved. The incident is still under investigation.
Being NH, I doubt there will be criminal charges, or even a civil suit.

Last edited:
I've seen more than one person bit when they reached into the scrum to break up a fight.

I was taught at a very young age from my parents (we had a dog in the 70's that got into more dog fights) not to reach into the fight for any reason. My father broke Duke from many bad habits but fighting was not one of them. Damn that dog could fight and had the scars to prove it. He always made it home after days away chasing "poon" even while parallelized in the rear quarters when he dragged himself home and we had to put him down.

We had a saying on sigforum... "spray the dog in the anus, with OC" [rofl] I wonder if that actually works...

Yes it does speak to force against another person.. as I stated in my initial post I could not find a law that specifically spoke to shooting a dog that was attacking your dog but I believe NH regards pets as property.

I ****ing hate NES dog threads like this. Needs to be said everytime.

"HUUURRRR DURRR ID SHOOT HIM WITH MY BODYGUARD 380 TOO BAD DOGS ARE PROPERTY MELON LOBE!".

Most of you saying that weigh 200 lbs more than the dog and would probably miss.

Sounds like a good shoot from information available right now.

NH 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

inb4 "pit bull"? [devil]

Damn, some people really like dogs and get upset. I personally dislike all animals, so I'm ok either way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom