Dog Shot in Norton

I’d guess it’s a copper slug, fired from a shotgun or muzzleloader. They should be able to solve the caliber question in 5 seconds with set of calipers.

If it’s a handgun it’s not a hunter (or at least unlikely to be one) given the prohibition on carrying a handgun while hunting. I mean if it’s illegal it’s impossible, right?

Moving on. If it’s a slug I’m gonna guess that dog was shot for running deer as others have guessed. Hard to believe someone would confuse a coonhound with a deer.

The stick part is weird, assuming it’s true.

Not really sure how to read that.

No way to tell unless we see the back of the slug. Either it has rifling on it or it doesn’t.

“The bloody spot where Bo was found was near a tree stand for hunters, according to the couple.”

Norton police investigating after dog found shot to death in woods

Lots of speculation few facts.

Bob

My money's on sociopath who flipped turtles onto their back as a kid, drinks light beer, spent majority of adulthood in their parent's house, has a part-time job, watches NASCAR, and asked "when can I shoot someone" during a a firearms safety class.
We already have enough Leftists that write, think and speak in this manner. They don't need any encouragement.

This is rapidly turning into an "out-yourself" thread. I still remember visiting my then girlfriend, now wife, in 1978 at her parent's house in Ohio while her brother and I were on a short leave from Camp Lejeune. One morning, a neighbor's dog got loose and came onto their property. It got into the chickens, killing a couple, at which point my mother-in-law grabbed her always at-the-ready shotgun and blew old fido away.

After getting discharged, I annually made the trip to Maine for deer hunting, typically the Jackman area. The first thing I learned from the locals was that they shoot dogs found in the woods. The coyote problem is bad enough apparently.

The lessons that these experiences taught me is that the only truly safe space for fido is at home.

As for calling the po-po, all I can say after a career in public safety (I have my group 4 pension now, so cops and fire know what that is) split between fire and police is that I don't call the po-po. Take this for whatever you think it is worth. I've worked with some truly wonderful guys, always trying to do right and be respectful. I've also worked with my share of morons. My experience is that it is purely luck of the draw as to whether you get Mr. Decent or Mr. Moron when you call 911. Am I surprised that the shooter didn't call the po-po?? Nope.

This is rapidly turning into an "out-yourself" thread. I still remember visiting my then girlfriend, now wife, in 1978 at her parent's house in Ohio while her brother and I were on a short leave from Camp Lejeune. One morning, a neighbor's dog got loose and came onto their property. It got into the chickens, killing a couple, at which point my mother-in-law grabbed her always at-the-ready shotgun and blew old fido away.

After getting discharged, I annually made the trip to Maine for deer hunting, typically the Jackman area. The first thing I learned from the locals was that they shoot dogs found in the woods. The coyote problem is bad enough apparently.

The lessons that these experiences taught me is that the only truly safe space for fido is at home.

As for calling the po-po, all I can say after a career in public safety (I have my group 4 pension now, so cops and fire know what that is) split between fire and police is that I don't call the po-po. Take this for whatever you think it is worth. I've worked with some truly wonderful guys, always trying to do right and be respectful. I've also worked with my share of morons. My experience is that it is purely luck of the draw as to whether you get Mr. Decent or Mr. Moron when you call 911. Am I surprised that the shooter didn't call the po-po?? Nope.
Some years back, in California, a Mountain Lion attacked a Women riding her trail bike and killed her. The Fish and Wildlife tracked the Lion and killed it. It was a female and it was discovered it had two cubs. The Women left behind 2 young children.

Animal Rights Activists established a fund for the cubs.

The Women's friends established a fund for her children.

The fund for the cubs collected more money than the fund for the children.

Some years back, in California, a Mountain Lion attacked a Women riding her trail bike and killed her. The Fish and Wildlife tracked the Lion and killed it. It was a female and it was discovered it had two cubs. The Women left behind 2 young children.

Animal Rights Activists established a fund for the cubs.

The Women's friends established a fund for her children.

The fund for the cubs collected more money than the fund for the children.
not surprised.

This illustrates the point of why you should keep dogs out of the woods during deer season. I used to hunt with old timers who would shoot a dog in a second because they were running deer. Of course they grew up hunting in the 40's and 50's when there were no deer around especially western mass and wanted the deer herd higher. Its's unfortunate that this happened for the dog and hunters in Mass. They're disliked enough by the moonbats of this state.

Cause its perfectly acceptable to kill a loose dog for being loose...Owners may suck in that sense, but that's no excuse if the only reason the dog was shot was cause it was loose.

For all you miserable f***s who are cool with that... whatever, glad I don't have to associate with you.

I've had my leashed dog bit by a "friendly" dog. I've also had my dogs get loose because I'm not an infallible human. I've also been charged by an aggressive dog while I had an M4 and could have killed it with zero repercussions and didn't do it cause I'm not some miserable trigger happy f***.

Just because you are "within your rights" to do something doesn't mean you aren't a piece of shit for doing it if other circumstances don't justify it. Given the lack of reporting by the shooter, I'm guessing that's the case.

<applause>

I’ll put this out there again.

I have shot dogs on the farm - they were tearing up rabbits and goats. We warned the owners several times and were told ‘it’s not our dog’, called the Dog Officer and were told to shoot it.

It became their dog quick - showed up in the yard bitching and yelling at us. My father told them to piss off and if they came back they’d be next - it ended there.

Like others have said - we have a dead dog that gets loose regularly, that’s it - everything else is conjecture or a guess.

I’ll put this out there again.

I have shot dogs on the farm - they were tearing up rabbits and goats. We warned the owners several times and were told ‘it’s not our dog’, called the Dog Officer and were told to shoot it.

It became their dog quick - showed up in the yard bitching and yelling at us. My father told them to piss off and if they came back they’d be next - it ended there.

Like others have said - we have a dead dog that gets loose regularly, that’s it - everything else is conjecture or a guess.
There it is , the conflicting lifestyles of the now semi rural southeast ma. area.

The old school livestock people who have been there a long time,

And the new development people who are living on 1/4 acre lots in the sub division the farmer sold off 50% of the town to the new burbites.

The burb people don’t hunt, own guns or raise livestock.

They have no idea or care about that you don’t let the dog loose on deer shotgun week.

Or any time else either.

This should be explained in the storyline, but it won’t be.

This illustrates the point of why you should keep dogs out of the woods during deer season. I used to hunt with old timers who would shoot a dog in a second because they were running deer. Of course they grew up hunting in the 40's and 50's when there were no deer around especially western mass and wanted the deer herd higher. Its's unfortunate that this happened for the dog and hunters in Mass. They're disliked enough by the moonbats of this state.

The problem is ,most of the couch commandos have never come across a deer that has gotten torn up by a pack of well fed house dogs.
They do it for sport and usually don't finish it off or eat it , which leaves the deer to die over a period of days with it's ass end torn up.
It was a huge problem at Crane's reservation years ago till the guys up there got sick of walking trough the woods and having to finish off the poor bastards that had lain there for who knows how long slowly bleeding out.
They took matters into hand and laid up to catch them in the act.
The kick in the ass was, that the dogs belonged to some of the most vocal a-holes screaming about the controlled hunt down there being inhumane.
They got rover back in a trash bag.

I have no idea if this was the case here or not, but it is telling to see who feels like no matter what their unattended dog does, it has to be consequence free.
Be a good owner and you won't have to deal with shit like this.

Cause its perfectly acceptable to kill a loose dog for being loose...Owners may suck in that sense, but that's no excuse if the only reason the dog was shot was cause it was loose.

For all you miserable f***s who are cool with that... whatever, glad I don't have to associate with you.

I've had my leashed dog bit by a "friendly" dog. I've also had my dogs get loose because I'm not an infallible human. I've also been charged by an aggressive dog while I had an M4 and could have killed it with zero repercussions and didn't do it cause I'm not some miserable trigger happy f***.

Just because you are "within your rights" to do something doesn't mean you aren't a piece of shit for doing it if other circumstances don't justify it. Given the lack of reporting by the shooter, I'm guessing that's the case.

Im in this camp. Shitty owner, probably could have prevented this by not letting pet run free.

The guy who shot the dog is an ahole too

There are really only a few valid reasons to shoot have to shoot a dog.

1. If it is attacking a human. And then only as a last resort. It's the main reason I keep pepper spray handy. Some people become complete pussies around an aggressive dog. Before you shoot the thing, give it a swift kick in the ass. This is very effective with most dogs. I'd hate to have to shoot a dog. ( Disclaimer: Do not attempt the ass kick maneuver with the following dog breeds.. Akita, Rottweiler, Cane Corso, Bull Mastiff....)

2. It is killing/ eating your livestock. Pretty rare in Eastern Mass. But for people that raise livestock for food, a nuisance dog killing your chickens is just like if it sneaked into your kitchen and raided the fridge and drank your beer. You might warn your neighbor once, " Hey, your dog broke into my house and ate my left over meatloaf and drank 2 Bud Lights."
The second time you shoot it.

3. It's running wild with a pack/ running deer. That's also pretty rare in Eastern Mass. And a well fed house dog is not likely to chase down and kill a deer by itself.

Hey, if you are walking in the woods and a very large aggressive dog tries to eat you, yeah, you have to shoot it. And in Mass, calling the cops if you had to shoot it, might not be well received. But the whole stick thing makes me think that this is not what happened, and the shooter was likely an a**h***.

Maybe only LE should have guns ?

If I have a loose dog ripping up my livestock, I am going to be looking for the owner so I can get damages.

My local animal control officer understands what worrying livestock means.

I have been bitten by a 130 pound bulldog, before I carried. I walked away from it, washed down the cuts, and 10 minutes latter shook like hell when the adrenaline wore off.

Keep your dog on your own property !

this dog was not harassing livestock, that's an entirely another issue. it was shot on a power line........
This was a hunting dog in the woods shot by a d-bag thinking the dog was ruining his hunt.
it looks like a black powder sabot, so most likely he is a d-bag and lost his FID so all he can have is a smoke pole during shotgun season so the "hunter" is in question right off the bat.
probably has a restraining order because he cant control him self and/or a DUI, and lost his permit. ( id put money on either or both)
i raised beagles for years, they chase things, they get loose, they run deer, coyotes, foxes, whatever there is to chase. It's there job and genetically how they are built.
i see a dog in the woods Im ok with it, dog may push a deer by my stand on a day deer are not moving, a dog in the woods doesn't change a thing.
it was Just an uneducated d-bag with a gun.

of course my opinion is different then all the higher than thous on here.......

house cats do more damage to the amount of game in the woods than any domestic dog, every time you let tabby outside you let loose one hell of a predator..

it looks like a black powder sabot, so most likely he is a d-bag and lost his FID so all he can have is a smoke pole during shotgun season so the "hunter" is in question right off the bat.
probably has a restraining order because he cant control him self and/or a DUI, and lost his permit. ( id put money on either or both

There are a lot of guys that have their FID but also hunt black powder and bow to extend their hunting season. I do not assume that a guy has a DUI just because he owns a black powder rifle

house cats do more damage to the amount of game in the woods than any domestic dog, every time you let tabby outside you let loose one hell of a predator..

Only an issue if you are hunting chipmunks or squirrel. I don't know about your area, but around here if you let tabby out, chances are they will become coyote kibble and you will find it's collar in a pile of dogshit

There are a lot of guys that have their FID but also hunt black powder and bow to extend their hunting season. I do not assume that a guy has a DUI just because he owns a black powder rifle

Only an issue if you are hunting chipmunks or squirrel. I don't know about your area, but around here if you let tabby out, chances are they will become coyote kibble and you will find it's collar in a pile of dogshit
Yup, all the neighborhood cats here are long gone. Several dogs as well. Neighbors Yorkie was let out in the yard. Neighbor is standing right there. Coyote runs into yard, grabs Yorkie and runs off. She is still traumatized some 3 months later.

There are really only a few valid reasons to shoot have to shoot a dog.
Attacking people and livestock is a justifiable reason under MGL, but you must either get medical care for the dog or fire an anchoring shot.

Running deer is not a valid reason under MGL.

I understand extending your season's with black powder and bow but the current season which ended yesterday is shotgun the only reason you're out with a black powder during shotgun is you cannot possess a shotgun, unless you're in love with your rifle, which i doubt this d- bag is, i still stand by my assertion.

I understand extending your season's with black powder and bow but the current season which ended yesterday is shotgun the only reason you're out with a black powder during shotgun is you cannot possess a shotgun...

I know a lot of people who use their ML during the shotgun season and have their LTC. Modern muzzleloaders are almost as fast as shotguns and have better range.

Wow. Normally you guys are all. “Shoot - shovel - shut up”

Because this guy didn’t do the second S. The bloody sticks make me think this was a whack job. Probably kids smoking marijuanas and listening to heavy metal trying to conjure demons.

I understand extending your season's with black powder and bow but the current season which ended yesterday is shotgun the only reason you're out with a black powder during shotgun is you cannot possess a shotgun, unless you're in love with your rifle, which i doubt this d- bag is, i still stand by my assertion.

This Sir is a Stupid statement

Back
Top Bottom