Dog Shot in Norton

With a stick down its throat, this says a cranky neighbor that doenst like dogs.

Hope there is enough there to find the dirtbag.

I wonder what brand the bullet is... looks like it expanded perfectly.

Definitely not hunting-related ammunition so "mistaken for a deer" is out the window. I wonder what "went missing" means, especially with "running off frequently" and "always came back in a few hours" in there too... perhaps a neighbor got sick of some random unattended 100lb+ dog showing up on his property and menacing his toddler, and went vigilante.

Still a screwed up thing to do, but Norton isn't exactly the sticks - invest in a leash or some fencing, the owners could have just as easily found him on the road with skidmarks leading up to him.

With a stick down its throat, this says a cranky neighbor that doenst like dogs.

Hope there is enough there to find the dirtbag.

Or maybe the dog survived the gunshot and the jackass tried to dispatch him with a stick? Definitely doesn't look like hunting ammo, was wondering the same re bullet brand due to perfect expansion. If it's high end carry ammo that would probably preclude a yute with an illegally acquired gun.

As posted above.

Probably shot by a “hunter” for chasing deer or just because some people just like killing.

I hope that the dirt bag gets caught but I doubt it. If it is a saboted slug taste will be nothing on the slug to match to the shotgun as the rifling is on the sabot.

According to the article the dog frequently got loose. If the owners kept him contained it wouldn’t have happened. I am NOT saying it is their fault; just that it wouldn’t have happened. The responsibility for killing the dog rests solely on the trigger puller.

Bob

If the leash law had been respected the dog would still be alive. We will never know what kind of trouble the dog was causing. Running deer, going after another dog who was on a leash or a hunting dog, threatening a walker, a hunter.....

Could very well be a NEC'r. What a scum bag killing a dog then being a coward and try to cover it up....
If you are accosted by a criminal in a hostile situation, and you are armed, that ain't gonna end well for the attacker. If the dog was running deer, or attacked a hunter and his dog, the dog crossed the line and it ended badly for him. The stick in the mouth, to me, is a message that this ain't the first time the shooter has dealt with the dog.

If you are accosted by a criminal in a hostile situation, and you are armed, that ain't gonna end well for the attacker. If the dog was running deer, or attacked a hunter and his dog, the dog crossed the line and it ended badly for him. The stick in the mouth, to me, is a message that this ain't the first time the shooter has dealt with the dog.
I think the real message is that who did this is a waste of oxygen, opinions may vary.

The photo looks like a handgun round - too small to be a shotgun slug. Update: Ooops, saw the sabot photos and not so sure about this now.

I am not aware of any state law that allows one to shoot a dog for running deer. Only one's person or livestock legally justifies a shooting.

Last edited:
And it doesn't matter what the dog did, if you had to defend yourself or your animal from the dog, you do it. Then you report it and own up to what you had to do. Not try and cover it up, or even just leave the dog and take off like a coward.

The photo looks like a handgun round - to small to be a shotgun slug.

I am not aware of any state law that allows one to shoot a dog for running deer. Only one's person or livestock legally justifies a shooting.

re: dogs vs. deer

General Law - Part I, Title XIX, Chapter 131, Section 82

"Section 82. A person owning, keeping or possessing a dog shall not allow, permit or consent to such dog chasing, hunting, molesting, attacking or killing a deer. The director is hereby authorized to issue an order to restrain all dogs from running at large in any city or town where, in his opinion, such a restraining order is necessary to prevent dogs from chasing, hunting, molesting, attacking or killing deer. Any such order shall be in effect forty-eight hours after publication in one or more newspapers circulated in such city or town. When, in his opinion, the director determines that such restraining order is no longer necessary, he shall, by like publication, rescind such order. A person owning, keeping or possessing a dog shall restrain it from running at large in any city or town in which such a restraining order is in effect. The director of law enforcement, his deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers and members of the state police in areas over which they have jurisdiction may destroy any such dog found chasing, hunting, molesting, attacking or killing a deer, without any liability on his part. During any period when no such order is in force, the director of law enforcement, his deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers and members of the state police in areas over which they have jurisdiction may destroy any dog found chasing or hunting a deer if the dog is so chasing or hunting with the knowledge or consent of the owner. Whenever a dog has been found chasing, hunting, molesting, attacking or killing a deer and the owner or keeper of the dog has been so notified by the director, and the same dog is thereafter found so chasing, hunting, molesting, attacking or killing, it shall be prima facie evidence that such chasing, hunting, molesting, attacking or killing was with the knowledge or consent of the owner or keeper."

The photo looks like a handgun round - to small to be a shotgun slug.

I just judged it from the pic and my hand.

My proximal phalange is over an inch, and a copper slug expands to 1 inch, so I guessed from that.

And it doesn't matter what the dog did, if you had to defend yourself or your animal from the dog, you do it. Then you report it and own up to what you had to do. Not try and cover it up, or even just leave the dog and take off like a coward.
Sounds good, doesn't work in most places. The media will never report that you were defending yourself. It would be reported as a crazed gunman, likely a Hunter, animal abuser as a child, Republican and an NRA member butchered a harmless family pet and drank its blood. The 3 S's is the only way.

Some years back I was fishing my favorite stretch along the Squanacook between Groton and Townsend. Minding my own business when out of nowhere came 2 dogs running at me. I have no freakinclue as to their intentions so I calmly just stand there. One of the 2 charged me snapping his teeth. Now I got a pocket knife and a walking stick but I hold my ground. There are walking trails there so at any moment I fully expected the owner to come along. They never did. The dogs moved on but if I had been carrying would I have been patient as I was? I don't know.

That's a felony charge in MA... hope they catch the dirt bag. No matter what that dog was doing, there's a proper way of handling things and that isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom