Dog Shot in Norton

Sounds good, doesn't work in most places. The media will never report that you were defending yourself. It would be reported as a crazed gunman, likely a Hunter, animal abuser as a child, Republican and an NRA member butchered a harmless family pet and drank its blood. The 3 S's is the only way.
Attorney Langer has a 100% win record (2/2) in dog shooting cases. I don't know what his record is of preserving the LTCs of the defendants, but he did get not guilty (not CWOF, gen-u-whine not guilty verdicts). BUT, his dog shooting cases were protecting persons or livestock (the only protectees prescribed in MGL).
One of the 2 charged me snapping his teeth.
Which meets the definition of "worrying" in the MGL dog shooting statute. I did once meet a cop who thought "worrying" in the statute meant causing the shooter to worry (in the anxiety, fear of something bad happening) sense of the word.

Last edited:
Attorney Langer has a 100% win record (2/2) in dog shooting cases. I don't know what his record is of preserving the LTCs of the defendants, but he did get not guilty (not CWOF, gen-u-whine not guilty verdicts). BUT, his dog shooting cases were protecting persons or livestock (the only protectees prescribed in MGL).

Which meets the definition of "worrying" in the MGL dog shooting statute. I did once meet a cop who thought "worrying" in the statute meant causing the shooter to worry (in the anxiety, fear of something bad happening) sense of the word.
[/QUOTE]
In this state I think I keep walking and get the heck out of there.

I'm tellin ya there are idiots who allow their aggressive dogs to run loose. I live next to one. His dog has pit bull in it and is fine, so far with neighbors, but goes after other dogs and attacks them. One neighbor hires a dog walker to walk their dog. The young women walks this dog on a leash but has to go by this guy's house every day. When his dog is out it charges and attacks the dog the walker is walking. The poor women is screaming help. I broke it up one time but jesues effin christ. The third time the guy comes out of his house and yells at the dog walker to stop walking by his house.

If ya ask me the guy and his dog need a "nice piece of hickory" taken to the both of them.

I'm still saying the stick in the mouth is "Michael Corleone sends his regards" message.

If you are accosted by a criminal in a hostile situation, and you are armed, that ain't gonna end well for the attacker. If the dog was running deer, or attacked a hunter and his dog, the dog crossed the line and it ended badly for him. The stick in the mouth, to me, is a message that this ain't the first time the shooter has dealt with the dog.

So if the conviction was that strong, then why did the shooter not fess up to it, if it was a case of a dog running deer or attacking a hunter...instead he chose to be a coward and cover it up....Just saying! [popcorn] Says scum bag in my book.

We own 2 Akitas. They are very big and super protective.

IF we let them run loose, they would wreak havoc in the neighborhood.

Other dogs and cats would be in grave danger.

If you came on my property, and the dogs were loose, it would be a problem.

So, our dogs NEVER EVER run loose, unless they are in our fenced in yard.

BTW, my neighbors GSD was shot in the hip by someone with a .22, and effectively made the dog have only 3 good legs.

Never found out who did it.

Sounds like you are a good responsible dog owner Paul, but in the event one of your dogs got loose, I wouldn't expect someone to execute and torture it and then leave it and not report it. But if they needed to defend themselves or their animals then they should take the necessary action. I'd feel horrible if I had to hurt someone's dog, but I'd feel like a complete coward and dbag if I had to do that and then either tried to cover it up or just left the dog and didn't let anyone know what I had to do.

Sounds like you are a good responsible dog owner Paul, but in the event one of your dogs got loose, I wouldn't expect someone to execute and torture it and then leave it and not report it. But if they needed to defend themselves or their animals then they should take the necessary action. I'd feel horrible if I had to hurt someone's dog, but I'd feel like a complete coward and dbag if I had to do that and then either tried to cover it up or just left the dog and didn't let anyone know what I had to do.
How do you know the dog was tortured? Is it possible the shooter shot the dog and put the stick in his mouth after the fact as a message? Not saying anything is right or anything is wrong here. My guess if the shooter is found it will be someone with a previous history with the dog.

Well stated and right on - 100% agree with you.

How do you know the dog was tortured? Is it possible the shooter shot the dog and put the stick in his mouth after the fact as a message? Not saying anything is right or anything is wrong here. My guess if the shooter is found it will be someone with a previous history with the dog.

My assumption based on the info available. I thought it was mentioned that there were multiple sticks around the dead animal covered in blood and one stuck down its throat. Even if it was dead first, desecration of the body is just as bad as torture to me. And I'd argue that it could just as much been trying to do a cover up than a message. Either one is despicable by the way.

If the shooter had previous history, they should have reported it then. Might not have escalated to this, or if it did there would be a paper trail for the shooter to use.

My assumption based on the info available. I thought it was mentioned that there were multiple sticks around the dead animal covered in blood and one stuck down its throat. Even if it was dead first, desecration of the body is just as bad as torture to me. And I'd argue that it could just as much been trying to do a cover up than a message. Either one is despicable by the way.

If the shooter had previous history, they should have reported it then. Might not have escalated to this, or if it did there would be a paper trail for the shooter to use.
Well....I used to not believe half of what the media said and seriously doubted the other half. I have spent the last 2 years learning not to believe anything the media says.

They are going to paint the "shooter" in the worst possible way.

What do we know with any certainty. There is a dead dog. That's it.

Is it possible for the owners to have made up the stick story? Put the stick there themselves? I have also learned over the last 2 years people will lie thru thier teeth if need be.

These folks also have 1 other dog. A Shepard, was the Shepard running with the coon hound as well?

We have a dog, or dogs running loose. Ran into someone who was armed. The dog is now dead. The rest of the story is conjecture.

And it doesn't matter what the dog did, if you had to defend yourself or your animal from the dog, you do it. Then you report it and own up to what you had to do. Not try and cover it up, or even just leave the dog and take off like a coward.

Tell that to the poor slob on Cape Cod who got jacked up for shooting his dog in his own house and got his guns confiscated by the po-po. There was a thread here about it a week ago. I don't feel like searching for it for you.

So if the conviction was that strong, then why did the shooter not fess up to it

Not defending the guy whatsoever, but how many people on here have said that they aren't going to the police over similar issues, and they'll deal with the problem themselves? If it was a legit shoot and the guy went to the police and had his LTC revoked or even faced criminal charges, everyone on here would be calling the guy a f***ing idiot for calling the cops.

My Condolences to the owner & Family, looks like a good 'ol hound dog. Regular folks are not allowed to shoot a dog, only LE, I hope they can figure out who
and if able to prosecute do it to the fullest........I'd probably go to jail for dolling out some retribution if someone did that to my dog.....

If you let them out Coonhounds are going to run. It is in their nature and you can't change that. They are also 50 to 70 pounds not 100 as some one mentioned. That said, Coonhounds bark a lot but they are usually fairly friendly slobs.

If you are going to shoot the dog then just do it, dispose of the body after removing the slug and be done with it.

There is not enough information to know what really happened and the circumstances behind it other than the owner was irresponsible to let the dog run.

If you let them out Coonhounds are going to run. It is in their nature and you can't change that. They are also 50 to 70 pounds not 100 as some one mentioned. That said, Coonhounds bark a lot but they are usually fairly friendly slobs.

If you are going to shoot the dog then just do it, dispose of the body after removing the slug and be done with it.

There is not enough information to know what really happened and the circumstances behind it other than the owner was irresponsible to let the dog run.
This. be done with it..

Not defending the guy whatsoever, but how many people on here have said that they aren't going to the police over similar issues, and they'll deal with the problem themselves? If it was a legit shoot and the guy went to the police and had his LTC revoked or even faced criminal charges, everyone on here would be calling the guy a f***ing idiot for calling the cops.

Dirt bag is a dirt bag....maybe he should not have shoot the dog to begin with. Opinions may vary.

My Condolences to the owner & Family, looks like a good 'ol hound dog. Regular folks are not allowed to shoot a dog, only LE, I hope they can figure out who and if able to prosecute do it to the fullest........I'd probably go to jail for dolling out some retribution if someone did that to my dog.....

Maybe only LE should have guns ?

If I have a loose dog ripping up my livestock, I am going to be looking for the owner so I can get damages.

My local animal control officer understands what worrying livestock means.

I have been bitten by a 130 pound bulldog, before I carried. I walked away from it, washed down the cuts, and 10 minutes latter shook like hell when the adrenaline wore off.

Keep your dog on your own property !

Bottom line is that the owners suck as dog owners.
That's pretty much the only verifiable fact at this point.
We can make up stories on what we think might have happened all day.
Maybe we have a future serial killer running around or maybe the dog was an aggressive mutt who picked the wrong person to go after.
We all just read what happed to the guy who shot a dog in his own home that was in the process of ripping his arm off.
You want to run down and report it ? Be my guest.
What's village vault charging per day now while you sort it out in a year or two ?i
Moral of the story Is, be a good pet owner and shit like this won' t happen.

What's village vault charging per day now while you sort it out in a year or two ?
You should have your dealer at the PD before the VV theftmobile gets there. I have arrangements with a very ethical dealer, and a signed letter of authorization in my safe. That reminds me, I need a second letter for the NFA weapon (SBR) that goes to a different dealer.

That holler point was an awful large projectile it seems in the pictures. That thing looks like it’s about an inch wide. Pointless observation I suppose. Just looking at that thing seeeing what I presume is an adult hand holding it, looking at my hand (xl gloves) thinking, dang that is one hell of a hole.

View attachment 257995 12 ga. Deer slug.? Dog may have cruzed by a hunters stand.

It’s that time .

Yeah, I was thinking black powder sabot projectile. I'd put money on it, especially if I could see the base of that expanded bullet.

Dealing with feral and/or vicious dogs is one thing- a loose pet is another. I imagine others will disagree, but even if a dog runs off a deer that's no reason to drop it. Most of the guys I see in tree stands aren't exactly depending upon harvesting deer for survival.

Yeah, I was thinking black powder sabot projectile. I'd put money on it, especially if I could see the base of that expanded bullet.

Dealing with feral and/or vicious dogs is one thing- a loose pet is another. I imagine others will disagree, but even if a dog runs off a deer that's no reason to drop it. Most of the guys I see in tree stands aren't exactly depending upon harvesting deer for survival.
Good observation,the slug on the right in the pic is a b.p.

Looks to me like a perfectly expanded fotay.
I just looked it up, copper fotay expands to the same as a copper sabot 12 ga. Slug.

30.25 mm or a little over 1 inch.
And the copper .40 is too expensive to shoot a dog with.

Last edited:
I’d guess it’s a copper slug, fired from a shotgun or muzzleloader. They should be able to solve the caliber question in 5 seconds with set of calipers.

If it’s a handgun it’s not a hunter (or at least unlikely to be one) given the prohibition on carrying a handgun while hunting. I mean if it’s illegal it’s impossible, right?

Moving on. If it’s a slug I’m gonna guess that dog was shot for running deer as others have guessed. Hard to believe someone would confuse a coonhound with a deer.

The stick part is weird, assuming it’s true.

Not really sure how to read that.

Cause its perfectly acceptable to kill a loose dog for being loose...Owners may suck in that sense, but that's no excuse if the only reason the dog was shot was cause it was loose.

For all you miserable f***s who are cool with that... whatever, glad I don't have to associate with you.

I've had my leashed dog bit by a "friendly" dog. I've also had my dogs get loose because I'm not an infallible human. I've also been charged by an aggressive dog while I had an M4 and could have killed it with zero repercussions and didn't do it cause I'm not some miserable trigger happy f***.

Just because you are "within your rights" to do something doesn't mean you aren't a piece of shit for doing it if other circumstances don't justify it. Given the lack of reporting by the shooter, I'm guessing that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom