Dog Shot in Norton

I've read through a lot of posts here and it seems that a lot of hunters are of the opinion that if a dog chases a deer in the woods, it deserves to be shot. Why? Is it such a big deal if some poor sap is hiking with is dog and the dog sees a deer and takes off after it? How dare the dog ruin your hunt right? It deserves death for doing what it's naturally apt to do. You guys are pricks. I used to live near conservation land that abutted state land in CT where I would hike with my dog all the time. During deer hunting season, it wasn't unheard of for moron hunters to wander from the state land where it was legal to hunt into the conservation land where it was prohibited. I'd avoid the woods entirely during that time just because I didn't want to end up charged with murder after some dickhead hunter shot my dog and I returned the favor.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPGq-N_6GM8

A few guys on the first page mentioned that they "know guys" who would shoot dogs who chase deer while they are hunting. I didn't mean to single out anybody who posted here, just those "hypothetical guys". If these hypothetical guys exist, I stand by my statement that they are pricks if they would shoot a dog on public land because it ruined their hunt. If they don't exist, good.

As far as livestock is concerned, I wouldn't argue with you. If a dog is coming on your land and killing your property you have to do what you have to do and the dog owner should be responsible to compensate you for your losses.

Here's one

Enfield Man Charged in Beagle-Shooting Incident in Suffield

Suffield police arrest John Lake of Enfield for son's alleged role in shooting death of hunting beagles

Notice a similar attempt to cover up the wrongdoing.

Spend your winter scouting tracks and searching for antler sheds, spring and summer scouting trails, bedding areas, prevailing wind directions, food sources, shooting lanes, set up game cameras, recheck them weekly, move them as needed, pick a perfect tree at the correct distance with the right back cover for concealment. Set up your stand 25 feet up, ensure its level, safe, concealed...scout and mark the right path to approach and exit the stand in the dark. Spend $$$$ on the right equipment, clothes, right soaps, keep everything scent free, use a vacation day, wake up at 3AM and sneak to your spot in the dark, somehow get safely up the tree in the dark, keeping absolutely still and quiet while your sweat starts to freeze to your skin....sun comes up and you hear footsteps approaching...some A$$Hat's dog is now at the base of your tree barking up a storm alerting every deer for a mile that they should stay away.... I can empathize with the frustration, takes a lot of will power to not act on what may be running through your mind at moment.

I've read through a lot of posts here and it seems that a lot of hunters are of the opinion that if a dog chases a deer in the woods, it deserves to be shot. Why? Is it such a big deal if some poor sap is hiking with is dog and the dog sees a deer and takes off after it? How dare the dog ruin your hunt right? It deserves death for doing what it's naturally apt to do. You guys are pricks.

It has nothing to do with the hunt. Dogs will run a deer to death. Literally. The dogs force deer to burn off thousands of calories they can’t spare and during a hard winter that can cause the deer to die of starvation months later.

I used to live near conservation land that abutted state land in CT where I would hike with my dog all the time. During deer hunting season, it wasn't unheard of for moron hunters to wander from the state land where it was legal to hunt into the conservation land where it was prohibited. I'd avoid the woods entirely during that time just because I didn't want to end up charged with murder after some dickhead hunter shot my dog and I returned the favor.

One of the things like about hunting in Connecticut is that the DEEP Officers take private land trespassing seriously.

Public land boundaries in Connecticut are generally very clearly marked with yellow paint. Hunters are responsible to know where they are and with today’s technology there is no reason for them not to know where they are.

Bob

So lets be generous and say a young laying hen is worth 30 bucks and the dog kills a handful of them. You've gotta be a complete moron to think it's worth while to shoot the dog, Especially in this state in 2019.

So lets be generous and say a young laying hen is worth 30 bucks and the dog kills a handful of them. You've gotta be a complete moron to think it's worth while to shoot the dog, Especially in this state in 2019.
The problem is that the shooter is weighing the value of his handful of $30 chickens against someone else's dog that has no value to him. In economic terms, the party of the first part has no problem depriving the party of the second part of $1000 if it nets the party of the first part $20.

The problem is that the shooter is weighing the value of his handful of $30 chickens against someone else's dog that has no value to him. In economic terms, the party of the first part has no problem depriving the party of the second part of $1000 if it nets the party of the first part $20.

....and in that circumstance, nor should he. Not only should he not feel bad about doing what had to be done, but the dog's owner should be responsible for reimbursing him for the replacement cost of the livestock as well. Plus the lost income said livestock would have made over their life expectancy. Add on legal fees if they get stupid about it. Lost wages/earnings as well if it ends up in court. Hell, I would even add on the cost of the cartridge used just to make a god damned point... Keep your animals under control.

You'd actually have legal immunity per MGL - even in 2019.

The value of the dog is not relevant, nor is the value of the chicken. If you're going down that road, fine, why doesn't the owner of the $1000 dog take caution with his property?

The issue with dogs running deer isn't just queering the hunt it's that the deer aren't harvested cleanly; they're usually not even eaten. Dogs are not coyotes or wolves; they tear up the deer and leave them to die, they don't hunt to eat. It borders on torture; like a cat playing with a mouse but worse.

I'm not advocating for shooting stray dogs willy nilly but it's a different case if they're running deer, killing livestock, threatening children or injuring adults. Where the hell are the owners? "He a good boy, he ain't hurt nobody" mentality honestly...

So now some want to lay almost no blame on the individual behind the trigger who chose to shoot and then mutilate a family pet with no history of aggression or complaints from the neighbors and instead blame the family for not following leash laws? What a shit show this place can be sometimes. Dangerous game, taking the responsibility of a deliberate shooting away from the person who chooses to pull the trigger. This garbage about running deer loses any validation since the hunter becomes a criminal when they deliberately kill the dog for it. They also took the collar in what can easily be seen as an effort to hinder any investigation, mutilated the dog postmortem, and left the scene. Please, tell us all once again how the dog owners are the real problem and not a bag of shit who pulled the trigger and makes lawful gun owners look bad.

How about deer are pretty much long legged rats carrying lyme disease, doing property damaging and the potential of coming through your windshield. Shoot em up... I would never condone any animal suffering but to shoot a dog over a deer??? Not happening...

I've read through a lot of posts here and it seems that a lot of hunters are of the opinion that if a dog chases a deer in the woods, it deserves to be shot. Why? Is it such a big deal if some poor sap is hiking with is dog and the dog sees a deer and takes off after it? How dare the dog ruin your hunt right? It deserves death for doing what it's naturally apt to do. You guys are pricks. I used to live near conservation land that abutted state land in CT where I would hike with my dog all the time. During deer hunting season, it wasn't unheard of for moron hunters to wander from the state land where it was legal to hunt into the conservation land where it was prohibited. I'd avoid the woods entirely during that time just because I didn't want to end up charged with murder after some dickhead hunter shot my dog and I returned the favor.

Yet you seem to be fine with your dog maiming wild animals for thrills
House dogs rarely ever eat the deer they catch ,they just tear them up and leave them to die maybe over a few days.
Who's a prick ?

Last edited:
I've literally seen someone take a shot at a buck and at the time I was 100% certain it was a buck. Somehow a doe that was right in front of it fell over and the buck ran away. Shit happens, and lighting and optics play tricks on you.

Also unreasonable restrictions from the PA Game Commission end up with lots of ridiculously large 6 points being mistaken for 8 points, and then you end up with a deer you weren't supposed to shoot. This fascination the PAGC has with everyone taking only trophy bucks when there's a huge overpopulation of deer in PA really makes no sense to me. Then again, they're still blocking hunters from using semi-automatic rifles for deer season, too. [rolleyes]

I thought the PA restriction was 3 points on one side. So if you see a large 6 point you are good to go?

I was there a week after TG and passed on a buck as I had open sights and couldnt get the binos on him. Plenty of horn but I couldnt count points.
He ran right to another hunter in our group and the young man killed him. Of course he had a scope and could see the nice smaller sized 8 pt...

I've read through a lot of posts here and it seems that a lot of hunters are of the opinion that if a dog chases a deer in the woods, it deserves to be shot. Why? Is it such a big deal if some poor sap is hiking with is dog and the dog sees a deer and takes off after it?

Trail-Cam: Rogue Dogs Attack, Kill Deer!
dog%20deer%20attack%20cam%203.jpg

Dogs in Alaska doe attack get loose

Pssttt....just between you and me. You are on the Internet and the Internet is forever. You can do want you want but if it were me I wouldn't post things that can be deposed in a possible criminal case.
"I'd avoid the woods entirely during that time just because I didn't want to end up charged with murder after some dickhead hunter shot my dog and I returned the favor."
Any Jury in the US would indeed call this a premeditated threat.
Aren't you worried that memorializing his premeditation
in your Permanent Intarweb Records
makes you an Accessory Before the Fact?

So now some want to lay almost no blame on the individual behind the trigger who chose to shoot and then mutilate a family pet with no history of aggression or complaints from the neighbors and instead blame the family for not following leash laws? What a shit show this place can be sometimes. Dangerous game, taking the responsibility of a deliberate shooting away from the person who chooses to pull the trigger. This garbage about running deer loses any validation since the hunter becomes a criminal when they deliberately kill the dog for it. They also took the collar in what can easily be seen as an effort to hinder any investigation, mutilated the dog postmortem, and left the scene. Please, tell us all once again how the dog owners are the real problem and not a bag of shit who pulled the trigger and makes lawful gun owners look bad.

You're making a lot of assumptions their bud...

"no history of aggression or complaints from the neighbors"
You don't know that... You have no idea what the disposition of the animal was.

"shoot and then mutilate a family pet "
You don't know that's what happened. No one does.

"taking the responsibility of a deliberate shooting away from the person who chooses to pull the trigger."
You don't know that it was deliberate. Could have easily been an accident. It's coyote too season ya know... Could have been self-defense as well.

"This garbage about running deer loses any validation since the hunter becomes a criminal when they deliberately kill the dog for it."
No one knows what happened. That was one of many possibilities discussed. But it's all conjecture. But dogs can and do harass wildlife - deer included.

"They also took the collar in what can easily be seen as an effort to hinder any investigation, mutilated the dog postmortem, and left the scene."
So much derpa derpa... You don't know the dog even had a collar on. How do you know that getting out of his collar wasn't how he got lose? You don't. You don't know if the dog was mutilated, postmortem. The only thing that is factual here is whoever it was left the scene. The dog could have attacked the shooter who first attempted to beat it back with a stick. When that failed he shot it... He left the scene because - well this is MA and he would have had his LTC yanked and his guns confiscated.... for defending himself...

Point being - you don't know diddle squat dude.

"This garbage about running deer loses any validation since the hunter becomes a criminal when they deliberately kill the dog for it."
No one knows what happened. That was one of many possibilities discussed. But it's all conjecture.
Indeed; what if the shooter was an off-duty cop?
ETA: That is; someone legally allowed to shoot dogs running deer.

Last edited:
But really the narrative seems about negligent dog owners whose pet finally crossed paths with someone who was not just ignorant, but a downright sociopath.

The outcome is maddening, but like a plane crash, the tragedy required a chain of faults in order to occur.

Different folks' values lead them to stress different links in the chain.

Sigh.

But really the narrative seems about negligent dog owners whose pet finally crossed paths with someone who was not just ignorant, but a downright sociopath.

The outcome is maddening, but like a plane crash, the tragedy required a chain of faults in order to occur.

Sigh.

Yes, there is definitely a chain of faults here. Like any incident, it only takes the breaking of one link in the chain to stop it.

No one knows what happened, understood.
How about this, some one shot the dog, that person left.
A second person or persons who heard or did not hear the shot, came along and found said dog and did the stick thing, neighborhood kids, etc.
The kids in any area sometimes know more of what goes on in the woods than any hunter, reason being, the kids hang out in said woods all year round. When deer week comes along, these kids, say who the fruits are these guys with guns coming out into our woods.

Sigh.

No it's not. A hunter mistaking the dog for a coyote does not a sociopath make... A person defending himself from an attacking dog does not make him a sociopath either... Again - that's just more ill-informed assumptions. The only thing that is known is the dog was shot and the shooter didn't hang around. Knowing how this state treats even justified defensive shootings, that could be why he split... Even that's conjecture...

If the person who shot the dog was defending himself - does that put him at any fault? IMHO - No. So the only FACT we have on the issue is that the owners were negligent in controlling their animal, and have a history of doing so. They were too nieve to realize that sooner or later, you keep playing those odds, you will lose. The dog could get hit by a car, get attacked by a wild animal - such as a coyote, get himself trapped in an abandoned property or a dozen other possible dire outcomes for Fido. In this instance, he got himself shot.

I chalk this up to the adage: play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Last edited:
....and in that circumstance, nor should he. Not only should he not feel bad about doing what had to be done, but the dog's owner should be responsible for reimbursing him for the replacement cost of the livestock as well. Plus the lost income said livestock would have made over their life expectancy. Add on legal fees if they get stupid about it. Lost wages/earnings as well if it ends up in court. Hell, I would even add on the cost of the cartridge used just to make a god damned point... Keep your animals under control.
I would charge em
For the round(s) too. I carry expensive ammo, if some a**h***s negligence results in me having to dispense any of it, I should be made whole!

All these comments and nobody has stated the obvious - it was the ATF!

Wow, man. Just, wow.
I just finished reading the new posts in the Torque converter thread,
and I totally never made the connection!

A hunter mistaking the dog for a coyote does not a sociopath make...

I've seen a number of coyote hunting videos
(remote-controlled decoys, starlight scopes -
all the kewl tech).

But I don't remember any of them
including a part where they jam a
random stick they found
laying around the power line RoW
down the coyote's throat.

Back
Top Bottom