Donna’s Smart Gun

MaverickNH

NES Member
Home | Donna's Law to allow people to place their names on the NICS system to prevent themselves from buying a gun if they go suicidal has some merit. In practice, the opportunity for abuse has to be managed - I can see someone pressured to "Red Flag" themselves or to amend the law to make the self-listing irrevocable.

But Smart Gun and Smart Safes that delay access or lock the owner out are a really bad idea. If you are capable of knowing you shouldn't have a gun, give it to somebody else.

"Gun owners, especially those who sometimes struggle with thoughts of suicide, should consider a gun safe with an optional time-delay function. Such a safe provides quick access during normal times, but can be programmed during crises to open only after a set time delay. On currently available time-delay safes, the delay can be anywhere from a minute to a week. The delay option could be turned off after the crisis passes. We call this a “Donna’s Safe.”

"An optional time-delay feature could similarly be added to so-called “smart guns,” which have just recently entered the market."

any law intended for a self-prevention is typically getting 'enhanced' to be a triggered by somebody else`s 'prevention' requests. nothing that only intends to prohibit, in the name of 'best intentions', will ever result in anything good.

what you need for better mental health is a working mental health healthcare. when crazies are left on their own - they only harm themselves and those around them.

The whole concept bewilders me. If someone truly desires to suicide, they will surely find a way...
it is not bewildering at all, as soon as you will start seeing it not as an attempt to improve anything, but a convenient excuse to make life worse than it was for somebody.
as it is always the singular reason for any legislature to be promoted, without any exceptions.

and if anybody can call out any single law that actually changed life for the better - i am all ears. laws only made to punish, by the people who get orgasmic from being punished.

it is not bewildering at all, as soon as you will start seeing it not as an attempt to improve anything, but a convenient excuse to make life worse than it was for somebody.
as it is always the singular reason for any legislature to be promoted, without any exceptions.

and if anybody can call out any single law that actually changed life for the better - i am all ears. laws only made to punish, by the people who get orgasmic from being punished.
Oh, I understand why they would want to pass it. It's the part where they think We would buy it hook, line and sinker that leaves me puzzled...

Listen, as gun owners we should all have friends that can legally hold our guns and would be willing to do so at any time.

I know I have a few people I could hand things off to if I ever needed to, and more than once I've held on to friends firearms for various reasons.

Hell, right now I'm holding on to a small collection because someone I know lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in crypto, is about to loose their house, and well, the fallout from crypto goes on.

I'm sure that ever having been on that list would make one unsuitable in the eyes of one's local overlord at the police station. In Mass if you ever go onto that list you're effectively on it forever.

and if anybody can call out any single law that actually changed life for the better - i am all ears...
I think there are many. Most of the child labor laws come to mind. I am also in favor of laws that prohibit rape and murder.
And let us not forget the law requiring that men bring their musket to church or that prohibits bringing a lion into a movie theater.
But I concede that there have not been many in the last 50 years.

Listen, as gun owners we should all have friends that can legally hold our guns and would be willing to do so at any time....
... and own a moving van..

The whole concept bewilders me. If someone truly desires to suicide, they will surely find a way...
Yes, but I think probably 99% of people who jumped off a bridge probably changed their mind halfway down.

I think if you cut your wrists or swallow pills, you can always chicken out and call 911. If you pull a trigger, it’s over.

Hypothetically, if I were going to kill myself (I’m not) I’d use a gun or probably wouldn’t do it. Despite the temporary desire to die, we are hard wired to want live and I can’t imagine not punking out if I took a slower route.

There's always a bridge abutment at 100 mph.
Seen it several times .
Let's see them stop that.
Bag of Kingsford charcoal in the barbie, works well in the garage...quieter and cheaper than a car.

Yes, but I think probably 99% of people who jumped off a bridge probably changed their mind halfway down.

I think if you cut your wrists or swallow pills, you can always chicken out and call 911. If you pull a trigger, it’s over.

Hypothetically, if I were going to kill myself (I’m not) I’d use a gun or probably wouldn’t do it. Despite the temporary desire to die, we are hard wired to want live and I can’t imagine not punking out if I took a slower route.
Ha! I remember a dentist one time, pulled his car over, shot his girlfriend and then "sort of" blew his brains out. Both survived.

Time delay on a safe… Now, all you have to do is get a home intruder to schedule an appointment, set a reminder on your phone to remind yourself to unlock the safe in time, and off you go.

Back
Top Bottom