• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doodads on your carry pistol

Whatcha typically got on your carry pistol to aim with?

• Basic irons only

Votes: 73 31.2%
  • Night sight irons only

Votes: 77 32.9%
  • Electronic optic

Votes: 33 14.1%
  • Irons of any type with light and/or laser

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Optic with light and/or laser

Votes: 31 13.2%

• Total voters
I think most non industry people like myself refer to it as a lazer don't they. There are however, industry companies like Crimson Trace who cleary refer to there products as lazer grips. I'll bet that's where we got the term from

They might have done that for some sort of trademark. That would sorta make sense.

On topic, I have shot a few guns with lasers, in general I was not sold... But to each their own... That is unless its an IR laser and I have nods... $$$$$ #Poorpeopleproblems

I see. I thought it came on automatically when you gripped the gun. Which would be bad, for obvious reasons for a defensive gun.
There are different types. On my Crimson Trace Lasergrips the gripping action is what activates the laser. There is a manual overide switch to shut the laser off in the bottom of the grip.

View: https://youtu.be/graU192OsR8

Count me in. Maybe start static to let folks warm up, then move on to a simple little stage (if you have props I can come up with some stage plans).

Oh great, now they will think a rail on a pistol is a bayonet lug... Pistol grip plus Bayonet rail (lug) Assault Weapon...
In Connecticuck, a pistol with a threaded barrel is already an assault weapon. CT lets you have suppressors but no threaded barrels on pistols with removable mags. MA lets you have threaded barrels but no suppressors. The house always wins lol

Does anyone ever wonder if certain footprints will become obsolete over time? E.g. there's a cool new optic out, you get your slide milled for it, ten years later the optic finally breaks and you realize that no one even makes optics for that same footprint anymore and now you can't mount anything new on your gun.

I refuse to use optics and all that garbage mainly because I carry older guys. All though someone did mount an optic on a 5906.

I carry in vintage holsters (think NYPD blue and Southland era TV). Not going down that holster road again.

However if I was on the street as a police officer I’d want the latest and greatest,

The Sig P226R in .40 my dad gave me has a WML on it. I’m not a big 40 fan but in a full size frame it’s pretty manageable and surprisingly accurate. My Sig P365 has replaced the role of my j frame. Mostly used for the gym.

Does anyone ever wonder if certain footprints will become obsolete over time? E.g. there's a cool new optic out, you get your slide milled for it, ten years later the optic finally breaks and you realize that no one even makes optics for that same footprint anymore and now you can't mount anything new on your gun.
I think the RMR and RMS shield footprints are here to stay. Beyond that is anyone’s guess.

Looking forward to abusing this new combo.
View attachment 856593
View attachment 856594

I am quite upset the corners of the slide don’t match all that well with the frame though.

Like, at the muzzle? You want the frame to follow that wide slide chamfer?

Take a file to the frame. If you're careful and use the right file, it should take about five minutes tops to match the frame to the slide.

Like, at the muzzle? You want the frame to follow that wide slide chamfer?

Take a file to the frame. If you're careful and use the right file, it should take about five minutes tops to match the frame to the slide.
Yeah, I'm not ocd enough to do that but if you advertise a slide as being for a given gen of glock you would think they could line up the chamfers better.

Vendors like holosun are making optics for glock MOS etc. Those adapter plates suck, hopefully the industry moves to 2 or 3 patterns and is done with it, because those adapter plates are dog shit.

All of this discussion seems like the perfect setup for an NES range day. We can put some of these theories to the test.

It'll never happen. People will come up with a thousand excuses. Even if it did happen, 90% of us wouldn't hit the target at ten yards.

I can host if we do SNH/ N MA 👉👉
I will host anyone willing to drive to The Berkshires. Southern Berkshire specifically. I don't do North Adams.

JB Weld

Vendors like holosun are making optics for glock MOS etc. Those adapter plates suck, hopefully the industry moves to 2 or 3 patterns and is done with it, because those adapter plates are dog shit.
Holosun now makes a model that screws directly to a MOS drilled Glock slide. No plate necessary.

That's the future. There needs to be a standardized mount. Though a bunch of guns are milled for direct RMR attachment also. Largely because so many brands offer optics with an RMR footprint. Not just Trijicon.

Holosun now makes a model that screws directly to a MOS drilled Glock slide. No plate necessary.

That's the future. There needs to be a standardized mount. Though a bunch of guns are milled for direct RMR attachment also. Largely because so many brands offer optics with an RMR footprint. Not just Trijicon.

I have an SCS, and I think it is eventually the direction the market will go. Standardization, or lack of, will hold it back but the market will figure out direct mounting eventually. The SCS solar-only is also really cool. Holosun emitters are insanely efficient.

That said, I just replaced my SCS with a 407c I had lying around and I don't think the SCS will be going back on. The SCS window is really small (its intended for concealed carry), and I find the slightly higher mount with a plate more natural to pick up.

My main EDC is red dot + TLR-1HL, the other is night sights only. I think stock-glock sights are pretty good, and might add a glock 48 someday :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom