• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doodads on your carry pistol

Whatcha typically got on your carry pistol to aim with?

• Basic irons only

Votes: 73 31.2%
  • Night sight irons only

Votes: 77 32.9%
  • Electronic optic

Votes: 33 14.1%
  • Irons of any type with light and/or laser

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Optic with light and/or laser

Votes: 31 13.2%

• Total voters
Do you really need a red dot?

If I need to shoot I'd likely be with 3 yards.

I'm looking for combat accuracy to survive an attack.

I'm not likely to be saving hostages with a precision shot to the head from 20 feet.
I have gotten very proficient without much reference to sights inside of 15 ft. It started by me taking the Reflexive Shooting class at sig.

This class was a game changer for me. If I'm inside of 15 ft, I can put a group the size of an8" paper plate in a target as fast as I can press the trigger with only a vague reference to the sights. I'm 50+ and can no longer bring the front sight of a handgun into sharp focus. But it doesn't matter at defensivive distances.

If I'm competing I wear 0.5 diopter reading glasses. These are strong enough for me to get the front sight into focus, but weak enough so I can still focus at distance. But for longer shots it lets me get a hard focus on the front sights.

Google it up, but there is agreat article written by or about Eric Graufel where he describes how he gradually increases the focus on his front sight as the target gets farther away. At 20 ft he just points. At 60 ft, its a hard focus on the front sight.

My current carry gun has neither a light nor a red dot.

The other factor is that many people fail to grasp how much work it is getting a truly INSTINCTIVE feel for shooting a red dot before they are better with it at defensive distances.

I've got about 10,000 rounds through a Glock with a red dot. This includes 3 days at Sig. I am still faster with acceptable accuracy inside of 30 ft with irons. Yes, I'm more accurate with the red dot. But I'm also much slower. So for me. Its irons until I can PROVE that I'm better at defensive distances with a dot than with irons. By prove, I mean 30 ft or less with a shot timer and either a plate rack or something like an el Presidente drill.

I do feel like I should add a light to the gun. Its coming. I'm just slow. Ha.

Oh. And I do have one "newfangled doodad" on my carry gun. Its a very low profile carry compensator. With it i can shoot my P365 as fast with accuracy as I can shoot my G17. Since defensive shooting is all about balancing speed and accuracy, this is a big big deal.

1698869556254.jpeg

Last edited:
The other factor is that many people fail to grasp how much work it is getting a truly INSTINCTIVE feel for shooting a red dot before they are better with it at defensive distances.

I've got about 10,000 rounds through a Glock with a red dot. This includes 3 days at Sig. I am still faster with acceptable accuracy inside of 30 ft with irons. Yes, I'm more accurate with the red dot. But I'm also much slower. So for me. Its irons until I can PROVE that I'm better at defensive distances with a dot than with irons. By prove, I mean 30 ft or less with a shot timer and either a plate rack or something like an el Presidente drill.
Agreed, it takes a lot of work to get there. I've heard from some instructors that new shooters take to red dots faster than us troglodytes who have decades of experience with iron sights, but I've got no direct experience with that.

Last edited:
Agreed, it takes a lot of work to get there. I've heard from some instructors that new shooters take to red dots faster than us troglodytes who have decades of experience with red dots, but I've got no direct experience with that.
I don't think they take to them any faster.

They just aren't any good with irons either. So being better with dots than irons doesn't really take that much proficiency. In other words, they suck with both. Ha.

Again for the millionth time if your forced into a deadly defensive situation you will guaranteed to be in an adrenalin filled duress situation . Keep your defensive weapon as simple as possible for your situation.
Ayoob interviewed police officers who prevailed in hundreds of shootings. Some of them reported never seeing their sights. But others distinctly remembered clearly focusing on their front sight. If you can focus on a front sight during a gun fight than you see your dot too (with enough training).

Red dots have the advantage that you focus on the target, not the sight, so under stress are in some ways easier to use than iron sights.

For folks like me, who have trouble focusing on iron sights, red dots provide an advantage. YMMV.

I have gotten very proficient without much reference to sights inside of 15 ft. It started by me taking the Reflexive Shooting class at sig.

This class was a game changer for me. If I'm inside of 15 ft, I can put a group the size of an8" paper plate in a target as fast as I can press the trigger with only a vague reference to the sights. I'm 50+ and can no longer bring the front sight of a handgun into sharp focus. But it doesn't matter at defensivive distances.

If I'm competing I wear 0.5 diopter reading glasses. These are strong enough for me to get the front sight into focus, but weak enough so I can still focus at distance. But for longer shots it lets me get a hard focus on the front sights.

Google it up, but there is agreat article written by or about Eric Graufel where he describes how he gradually increases the focus on his front sight as the target gets farther away. At 20 ft he just points. At 60 ft, its a hard focus on the front sight.

My current carry gun has neither a light nor a red dot.

I do feel like I should add a light to the gun. Its coming. I'm just slow. Ha.

Oh. And I do have one "newfangled doodad" on my carry gun. Its a very low profile carry compensator. With it i can shoot my P365 as fast with accuracy as I can shoot my G17. Since defensive shooting is all about balancing speed and accuracy, this is a big big deal.

View attachment 812380
Looks sick. Too bad that thing's an assault weapon in Connecticut lol.

How many of those do you carry?
34b8a32e-72b7-4a68-b099-59bd5c97aea3_text.gif

Looks like more and more cops and gangsters run lights, lasers, as well as reflex optics now. Is NES keeping up? So whatcha got on your EDC pistol? Irons - two world warzzzz? Nyte Sytes? Red dot, green dot, yellow dot? Lasers? Lights and lasers?
When @Reptile Sold me this lightly used Fleshlight, I thought he meant Flashlight. But I bought it anyway. Most tactical gun I own.

e16AXLDFhqXZdmplmsjOu8d-jxg9bQGHde38AppDBMM.jpg

JJ does that too. However, it seems like the majority of top shooters use target focus only.

I’m over 60. Like most people my age, I can’t focus on iron sights without putting on reading glasses. So I use red dots instead.

I always carry a flashlight. I also have a light mounted on my usual carry gun. I don’t consider a weapon mounted light as a need to have. But I do need either a red dot or a laser on my carry gun, due to my inability to focus on iron sights. YMMV.

For the “learn how to use iron sights“ brigade, I was using iron sights while you were still in diapers. Once you get to my age, you too may find it hard or impossible to use iron sights.

What about with contrasting color fiber/night sights? I've got an orange front dot and 2 rear green dots on my carry G19. I'm just getting to the point of needing reading glasses (49), but I can focus pretty well on the front orange dot and my target while lining up the green dots. Even blurry, the colors are easy to align.

What about with contrasting color fiber/night sights? I've got an orange front dot and 2 rear green dots on my carry G19. I'm just getting to the point of needing reading glasses (49), but I can focus pretty well on the front orange dot and my target while lining up the green dots. Even blurry, the colors are easy to align.
Nope. Doesn’t work for me. I used fiber optic sights on my USPSA guns for decades, so I have a lot of experience with the. YMMV.

Nope. Doesn’t work for me. I used fiber optic sights on my USPSA guns for decades, so I have a lot of experience with the. YMMV.
Well, my eyes are shit and I'm fast approaching 50+ so I'll be where you are eventually. I've got a Trijicon on my G17, but I only carry my G19 or HK45C and neither are optic ready.

I may just have to trick out my S&W TRR8 to future proof it against my eyes, and yes I feel like Blade Runner with this thing:
1698877752072.png

Back
Top Bottom