Doodads on your carry pistol

Whatcha typically got on your carry pistol to aim with?

• Basic irons only

Votes: 67 30.2%
  • Night sight irons only

Votes: 76 34.2%
  • Electronic optic

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • Irons of any type with light and/or laser

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Optic with light and/or laser

Votes: 29 13.1%

• Total voters
Doodads. LOL . Next you'll want us to comment down in teh doobly-doo. Is this the ARFCOM YouTube channel?

It depends on the pistol. I'm not married to night sights. They are nice. But if not, irons.

Night sights and done for me. I wear +1.5 readers for the computer etc. and I can see the front sight post just fine for pistol work. No red/green dots necessary and I'd rather not have the battery dependent clutter on my gun. I respect that others' needs will vary.

One of the things I need to experiment with is turning off my red dot and point shooting at closer distances. Not that I would do that in practice, but rather to better learn my natural point of aim with the gun.
Some really good work can be done so long as the pistol is within your peripheral vision, the proximity of the threat is appropriate, and a good body index is used.

Well worth the three minutes from someone who explains the technique much better than I do:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmpHNTWXTE

Last edited:
I always thought the Crimson Trace lasers that were part of the grip. or in the case of the older Glocks wrapped around the grip and activated when pressure was applied by the webbed area between your thumb and finger were nice, so long as you could still shoot off the sights accurately if for some reason the laser failed to power on

I am NOT a fan of the ones for the 43X and similar guns that mount under the frame and make holsters hard to find

Does anyone have a Holosun EPS (but NOT the Carry version) on a double-stack Glock (e.g. 19)? How's the overhang? Really considering it for my main carry gun.

Right now a P365 with a Green Dot. After talking to a few retired LEOs we're getting to the point that in this state if you shoot anyone who isn't a couple feet away from you and directly threatening your life then you might be going to jail. Busting a cap on someone 10 yards away who's trying to kill someone else is not going to fly in this state. May go back to a snubnose.
I hate to be aggressive, but you are absolutely, positively wrong.

I have an interest in finding these kinds of stories and honestly can't recall a single instance of a person involved in a "good shoot" especially defending a third party, who was arrested and prosecuted in recent memory. Let's say going back 13 years since I moved to MA.

In fact, defense of a 3rd party is legally CLEANER since there is no duty to retreat.

And finally, if you have been paying attention to these kinds of threads for any length of time, you should know that cops generally know nothing about the law.

Educate yourself also by reading this. It is the criminal jury instructions around these laws. It also has footnote links to case law, which can help to refine how a statute is interpreted.

Right now a P365 with a Green Dot. After talking to a few retired LEOs we're getting to the point that in this state if you shoot anyone who isn't a couple feet away from you and directly threatening your life then you might be going to jail. Busting a cap on someone 10 yards away who's trying to kill someone else is not going to fly in this state. May go back to a snubnose.
If you are serious about knowing any of this, you should also purchase Chief Ron Glidden's Law Enforcement guide to Firearms law.

It is the Bible in MA that most police command staff reference when they are trying to make a legal determination regarding firearms. It is also in most cases factually correct.

It's available in hard copy or PDF. I purchased the PDF because it's easy to search and I also printed out a copy. It does not get into questions of self defense because these aren't directly related to firearms laws. (Self defense laws don't reference firearms, but rather "deadly physical force") But it does cover everything else.

There is a lot to learn. For example, MA law requires you to be 500 ft from a dwelling to discharge a firearm. But the law also EXEMPTS target ranges. So if you set up a target range where the shooting station is 100 ft from a neighbors home, and are shooting in the opposite direction, you are in compliance with MA law.

Don't believe me? From the book:
C. 269 § 12E Discharge of Firearm Within 500 Feet of Dwelling

Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established;

In his comments he notes:
§ 12E NOTES
  1. Firing Ranges Need Not Be Certified As Such: Clause (d) exempts target ranges but does not require any special certification for a range to qualify. At least one Massachusetts District Court case throughout a criminal complaint against a homeowner who had built a do-it-yourself range in his back year near other houses.

2. Neighbors: It appears that if you are on a firing range on your own property it is irrelevant how close your neighbor’s home is from that range or from the gunshots. While a local noise ordinance may come into play, officers often find themselves unable to satisfy neighbor's concerns over noise or safety because of the exemptions listed in this section.

I hate to be aggressive, but you are absolutely, positively wrong.

I have an interest in finding these kinds of stories and honestly can't recall a single instance of a person involved in a "good shoot" especially defending a third party, who was arrested and prosecuted in recent memory. Let's say going back 13 years since I moved to MA.
There are many myths and legends on NES (just like anywhere else) and one of them is that anyone who defends themselves with firearms are automatically going to jail and losing their license. Typically no examples are provided when requested.

I always thought the Crimson Trace lasers that were part of the grip. or in the case of the older Glocks wrapped around the grip and activated when pressure was applied by the webbed area between your thumb and finger were nice, so long as you could still shoot off the sights accurately if for some reason the laser failed to power on

I am NOT a fan of the ones for the 43X and similar guns that mount under the frame and make holsters hard to find
Lasers have advantages and disadvantages. In bright sun they are hard to see at distance. They have the advantage that if you are in a compromised position, you can aim on the target even if you can't get your eye behind the gun. Another disadvantage of the lasers on the grip is that your hand can block the laser.

I'm not saying that you should or should not use a laser. What I'm saying is that, like anything, they have advantages and disadvantages. I have a laser on my Kahr PM9 pocket gun -- it's just too small for a red dot.

lg-437_ghosted_web_4.jpg

I am quite familiar with the rules on a target range having set mine up in my town. Which has nothing to do with dodads on guns.
I never said you didn't. If you read my post, you will see that I merely used it as an example of the knowledge that exists in Chief Glidden's book.

And frankly even if everything in his book was wrong. The fact that nearly every police chief in the state has either read it or references it, makes it required reading.

Lasers have advantages and disadvantages. In bright sun they are hard to see at distance. They have the advantage that if you are in a compromised position, you can aim on the target even if you can't get your eye behind the gun. Another disadvantage of the lasers on the grip is that your hand can block the laser.

I'm not saying that you should or should not use a laser. What I'm saying is that, like anything, they have advantages and disadvantages. I have a laser on my Kahr PM9 pocket gun -- it's just too small for a red dot.

View attachment 837148
I have owned that specific laser on that specific gun (Kahr P380)

It kind of sucks because it makes it more difficult to get a high grip on the gun. The grip is already so short that it really does make a difference.
I also had an sig light on a P365 that worked that way and didn't like it for the same reason.

I have owned that specific laser on that specific gun (Kahr P380)

It kind of sucks because it makes it more difficult to get a high grip on the gun. The grip is already so short that it really does make a difference.
I also had an sig light on a P365 that worked that way and didn't like it for the same reason.
I haven't found that to be a problem for me, but YMMV.

Ayoob interviewed police officers who prevailed in hundreds of shootings. Some of them reported never seeing their sights. But others distinctly remembered clearly focusing on their front sight. If you can focus on a front sight during a gun fight than you see your dot too (with enough training).

Red dots have the advantage that you focus on the target, not the sight, so under stress are in some ways easier to use than iron sights.

For folks like me, who have trouble focusing on iron sights, red dots provide an advantage. YMMV.
I’ve done a ton of pistol competitions. I could not tell you if I saw my front sight more than 20-30% of the time. And I did pretty well.IMG_7670.jpeg

Mine are on my g19. Trigicon RMR and blacked out co witnessed suppressor sights.
All my guns runs an optic mostly holosuns

1 dragon fly... no Bueno

1 crimson trace
2 sig romeos

I wouldn't carry the sigs or ct but they are fine for the range/hd

Holosuns are my jam...i pick them up really well

The dragon fly doesn't shake awake or stay on

I've had dpp's too the dot gets all squirrely on me

Haven't got my hand on any trijis yet but i want one

I handled a P365 XL yesterday that had a Romeo (I believe) dot on it. Did not care for it much although I love dots on rifles. I’m sure it’s an acquired taste and I do see benefit to it for some, just not for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom