Do's and Dont's to buliding my own M4

rprice180

Banned
I need some help with starting and building M4 rifle and was wondering the does and dont's are before i get this going?

Research the setup you like/ want first. I had a lot of regrets after doing mine and buying parts twice got too expensive.

How do you make sure that the upper and lower fit together well?
When you buy it complete, it is perfect.
How do you get them to fit right?

Use proper tools, don't improvise. Don't cheap out on components. You will get a cheap gun. The advantage of building it yourself is using all the parts that you prefer. Learn first what parts you like so you don't have to change them out later

Use proper tools, don't improvise. Don't cheap out on components. You will get a cheap gun. The advantage of building it yourself is using all the parts that you prefer. Learn first what parts you like so you don't have to change them out later

+1.

I need some help with starting and building M4 rifle and was wondering the does and dont's are before i get this going?

First put in your tax stamp paperwork for the "machine gun" lower and short barrel.

Definitely get what you want once, and avoid regrets. Also, tend towards lighter weight components, pencil barrel, and something like a dd lite rail or just a tube. Sights like rainierarms and dsgarms have great prices and customer support.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I liked going to the thread on AR15.com where everyone shows off thier AR's. Its cool to see what others are doing and you also get to see what style you like the best.

Jasons as cool as that would be I'm good with that no machine gun lower or short barrel. Although being in L/E i can buy a 11.5 barrel but i'm gonna go with a 16 for now.

Jasons as cool as that would be I'm good with that no machine gun lower or short barrel. Although being in L/E i can buy a 11.5 barrel but i'm gonna go with a 16 for now.

Then your not building an M4. [grin]

By the way, you'd still need a tax stamp even with your badge.

Last edited:
Like i said i'm good with a machine gun, and no tax stamps for me. Whats a good lower receiver to start with?

Like i said i'm good with a machine gun, and no tax stamps for me. Whats a good lower receiver to start with?

They're all pretty much the same unless you want to go crazy and get a billet one. I go with whatever I happen to have on hand or can procure quickly at the time.

Just a heads up rainier arms and dsg have great mil and le discounts. Get the discounts applied, you'll save a healthy amount on some stuff. I went with the axts a-dac-f lower from rainier. The only real benefit is you have a incredible finish machining, a tensioning screw in the lower, and the the ability to lock the bolt back from the right hand side. You will pay about 30-50 more for it. Dsg has spikes lowers, uppers, and bcgs for cheap as well.

I went with the spikes battle trigger. It could use a little polishing but its a worthwhile improvement over a milspec fcg in my opinion, even right out of the box. Worth the 30 or so dollar premium in my opinion.

Also look in to a mid length gas system. Daniel defense makes a nice lightweight rail system, and if you are going the free float tube route check out rainiers version of the samson tubes, wicked lightweight. Id also recommend the faniel defense chf barrels. Keep in mind since you are going to be pinning the break anyway starting with a 14.5 inch barrel will be ok with some comps.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Welcome and building your own is a lot of fun.

Though a note of caution. If and when you do want to build a 11.5 (or <16") SBR and since this will be owned privately by you, NFA rules still apply. Being LEO does NOT exempt you from the tax stamp process for private ownership. The SBR would have to be owned by your department and issued to you to avoid NFA rules.

LenS offers a great law class and keeps up to date on a lot of open debates. One of those being LEO exemption of MA EOPS and AG "List" guns. You'd also be surprised on the feeling that there is no exemption for private ownership of post ban hicap mags.

All fun debates and only really matter if and when something bad should ever happen.

Have fun!

Call me with any build question you might have or stop in. I will be more then happy to help you assemble your rifle correctly the first time.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

Call me with any build question you might have or stop in. I will be more then happy to help you assemble your rifle correctly the first time.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

This. I watched John assemble a lower that I bought from him. I totally forgot all the little details, but I did learn that it's not that scary with the right tools and some patience. I'm going to attempt by own build with the NES lower on my own with directions from the interwebs and YooTubez. Of course, I'll probably end up back at Remsport when I muck it up!

-JR

If they're made to spec then they will fit. Buy quality parts.

I have a Colt upper (20" H barrel) and it rattles like crazy on a Bushmaster lower. I have a BCM upper (16" .gov profile) Tight as a virgin on the Bushie. The Colt upper shoots better. The BCM is easier to carry and shoots well but not as good as the Colt. Close though.

Back
Top Bottom