• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dracut Procedures/Wait For Appointment

I was wondering if there was in anyone in Dracut that could share their experience/assure me that my experience is normal.

I visited the police department on December 31st to drop of my application for an LTC-A. I was told by the person at the records department that they do not take the application first but I have to fill out an appointment form. I would then submit the application when I went in for my interview. I filled out the interview appointment form, asked the usual wait for an appointment and was not given an answer. I figured it might take several weeks.

After waiting 2 months I called the licensing officer to ask ask whether or not this is a normal wait time. I was unable to get to him but left him a voicemail. I have not received a call back. I really am not overly concerned about waiting but wanted to make sure the wait time was normal and that my appointment application wasn't lost.

We are at 2 and a half months now, rapidly approaching three months and I have heard nothing.

Is this normal? Is the wait time for an appointment really this long?

The officer doing the licenses is pretty backed up since he has his other duties as well so several weeks is not unusual. A few months seems to be long especially given when you meet and turn in your application it will be another several weeks for it to be processed. Note also they normally don't provide an unrestricted license at first. There was an earlier post about this process but I'm not sure where you'll have to search. Also when requesting an appointment in some towns it helps a bit to send a letter to the chief telling that your applying and reason why. I'll likely get some push back from other posters on this but I'm just giving you feedback based on my experience. Good luck!

Sorry for responding more than 2 months later. It was funny, the day after I posted this I got the call for my appointment. I figured maybe someone on the PD reads this forum...

Anyway, my appointment was on March 21 and my license was issued on May 21...just picked it up today.

Thank you so much for the feedback on my original post.

I had a student go down to the Dracut PD about a week ago to schedule his appointment and he was told it would be at least a three month wait for the interview for a first LTC. Renewals get priority, he was told.

I was wondering if there was in anyone in Dracut that could share their experience/assure me that my experience is normal.

I visited the police department on December 31st to drop of my application for an LTC-A. I was told by the person at the records department that they do not take the application first but I have to fill out an appointment form. I would then submit the application when I went in for my interview. I filled out the interview appointment form, asked the usual wait for an appointment and was not given an answer. I figured it might take several weeks.

After waiting 2 months I called the licensing officer to ask ask whether or not this is a normal wait time. I was unable to get to him but left him a voicemail. I have not received a call back. I really am not overly concerned about waiting but wanted to make sure the wait time was normal and that my appointment application wasn't lost.

We are at 2 and a half months now, rapidly approaching three months and I have heard nothing.

Is this normal? Is the wait time for an appointment really this long?
Renewed my FID in Dracut back in late October, 2011. Lt. Fleury is a real gentleman and a genuinely nice guy. He is definitely 2A friendly! Got the FID exactly two months later. Spent the 2011 MA deer season on my 90 day grace period. Downloaded and printed out the grace period law in case I ran into a Barney Fife-type cop!

My buddy that works under me lives in dracut (the shop is in dracut to) .
Took him 4 months for the pd to just give him a date . then another 3 months wait for the appointment . They told him he was too young for a alp ltc. Then made him write a report why they should give him the ltc restricted . Also have 3 people write a thing about how he can be trusted with a restricted ltc .

The kicker they made him turn the "essays" in before they handed the ltc to him . They called him up to tell him it was ready for pickup then when he went in they told him he couldn't have it till he did xyz .

Last edited:
Lt. Fleury is a real gentleman and a genuinely nice guy.

Agree, very professional and personable. Did everything by the book and made sure I understood everything and answered any questions I had.

- - - Updated - - -

My buddy that works under me loves in dracut (the shop is in dracut to)
Took him 4 months for the pd to just give him a date then another 3 month wait for the appointment . They told him he was too young for a alp ltc. And made him write a report why they should give him the ltc restricted . Then have 3 people wrote a thing about how he can be trusted with a restricted ltc .

The kicker they made him turn the "essays" in before they handed the ltc to him . They called him up to tell him it was ready for pickup then when he went in they told him he couldn't have it till he did xyz .

Definitely not my experience although it did take a total of 5 months to get everything done, which I think is a little excessive. They did require a letter from me to the chief and then a letter from 3 references. But they were not essays by any stretch of the imagination. I think the reference letters were a paragraph (short paragraphs) and my letter to the chief was a couple paragraphs. The process wasn't made OVERLY difficult for me.

He was pretty pissed off about the whole thing had his fod since he was young and hunts every year . Thought it be easy to get his ltc ...
He went down when he turned 21 to make a appointment and told him to keep calling back .
He I explained to him what I had todo in Tewksbury and got my alp ltc he was so pissed off.

My buddy that works under me loves in dracut (the shop is in dracut to)
Took him 4 months for the pd to just give him a date then another 3 month wait for the appointment . They told him he was too young for a alp ltc. And made him write a report why they should give him the ltc restricted . Then have 3 people wrote a thing about how he can be trusted with a restricted ltc .

Abs eh is he not taking them to task??? That if anything is a COMPLETE shutting on of his rights (not like te rest isn't)

Thought I'd keep this thread going...

Im on week 6 on waiting for my appointment phone call in Dracut for my first renewal. On the same day I put my wifes appointment request in for her first LTC.

I'll keep this updated as we go along. Im not too worried as I assume they are backed up due to the Holidays.

UPDATE:

My wife got her call on january 20th, and her appointment for the interview was january 30th. 3 letters of recommendation and one from herself. Now shes just waiting for the license. She said that Lt. Fleury was a really nice guy.

I have still not received my call... Its been 15 weeks since I submitted my appointment form. (I expire in June). I called and left a voicemail with the firearms department. Im wondering if they file renewals based on how close they are to expiration and not based on when they receive the appointment form....I just hope they call soon. I dont want to be in possession of firearms without a license.

Last edited:
Kind of an old post, but this has been my experience so far. Applied for appointment sometime in mid july, got a call this sunday night (10/19). Got an appointment for this wednesday (today 10/22) at 6pm. I was a little disappointed about the short notice, I am in college on the cape, so I had to change some classes so I would be able to make it. I was about to leave to drive home when I got a call at 11:30 saying there was scheduling issues and they cancelled the appointment for today, and rescheduled it for monday, which I can't make because of a class I can't miss. So now i'm back to waiting for a call for another appointment. At least they called me before I went to drive home. Anyways I was livid after that call.

I'm not in any huge rush to get my FID so it's not a big deal, but a little notice in advance would be great. I'll probably be visiting them this weekend to try to work out an appointment date.

My understanding is they just hired a new guy for this. Fleury is a great cop and person but had to do regular police work on top of the licencing.

My understanding is the waiting period should be shortened.

My understanding is also that whether or not your restriction is ever lifted still depends on your last name/who you know in town.

Everyone tells me that he's a great person, and I know licensing is on top of what he already does, so it's no surprise that the process takes a long time. The time it takes does seem a little ridiculous but it's not really his fault. I haven't heard anything about hem hiring a new guy for this. The website still says it's Lt Fleury still, but who knows how often that gets updated. That's great if they got another person to do it, hopefully with more time to dedicate.

Everyone tells me that he's a great person, and I know licensing is on top of what he already does, so it's no surprise that the process takes a long time. The time it takes does seem a little ridiculous but it's not really his fault. I haven't heard anything about hem hiring a new guy for this. The website still says it's Lt Fleury still, but who knows how often that gets updated. That's great if they got another person to do it, hopefully with more time to dedicate.

The new guy might not be coming on until they hire the cadets out of academy... I was at the Seletcman meeting last week, and I don't think the new officers are coming for a few weeks first.

The new K9 guy seems like a good dude, and I hear really good things about him. I wasn't the biggest fan of him wearing a vest, and the "tactical" mid thigh holster to the town meeting, but whatever, seems like a good enough kid, just a bit enthusiastic.

(Full disclosure, I have no idea if what he was wearing was required or not or what's its all call, but he looked a lot more "operator" than the other cops there, and it was a little off putting.)

The new guy might not be coming on until they hire the cadets out of academy... I was at the Seletcman meeting last week, and I don't think the new officers are coming for a few weeks first.

The new K9 guy seems like a good dude, and I hear really good things about him. I wasn't the biggest fan of him wearing a vest, and the "tactical" mid thigh holster to the town meeting, but whatever, seems like a good enough kid, just a bit enthusiastic.

(Full disclosure, I have no idea if what he was wearing was required or not or what's its all call, but he looked a lot more "operator" than the other cops there, and it was a little off putting.)

It's definitely not necessary to have tactical gear on at a town meeting. Maybe he was trying to make a good first impression that he takes his job seriously. It is a little unsettling whenever I see an officer wearing more "aggressive" gear than normal. But who knows, I'm sure he'll do just fine.

On another note, I have still not got a call back to re-schedule my appointment. Like I said I'm in no rush, but would like my FID by the summer.

.... Like I said I'm in no rush, but would like my FID by the summer.
Summer of what year????

If you don't have an appointment by January click here: Report a Problem.

You might see this logic coming to a courthouse near you soon (From SILVESTER v. HARRIS )....

With respect to administrative and fiscal costs, the Court agrees with Defendant that hiring and training additional personnel, as well as hiring outside contractors, would represent an additional expenditure of funds that Defendant would likely not be able to recover. However, Defendant (through Chief Lindley‟s declaration) acknowledges that she has computer personnel who could modify the system. The problem is that Defendant believes that other projects are deserving of greater priority. See id. There is no description of what these critical projects are or when the deadlines might be, nor is there an explanation of why outside contractors cannot be utilized for some of those projects, nor is there an explanation of why computer personnel from different departments or agencies cannot be utilized. A bench trial has concluded, and a law that is actively being enforced has been found to be unconstitutional. The Court does not know how Defendant or the BOF prioritizes projects, but dealing with an unconstitutional law should be towards the top of the list It is true that redirecting personnel may cause difficulties, but there is not enough before the Court for it to conclude that Defendant probably would suffer irreparable harm from such redirection. The Court is not satisfied that Defendant has demonstrated irreparable fiscal or administrative harm.

BTW, CalGuns Foundation was awarded $194K (!) in fees and expenses for this case.

Back
Top Bottom