Driver taking son to daycare shoots himself during road rage incident

Kind of funny how the article states that the other officers took his kid to daycare for him!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Someone doing something stupid and shooting themselves? If you don't see the relevance of that...

really, that's relevant to a firearms forum ?

hey I won the pot at Sanford this morning . now that's relevant !

Firearms Safety -- 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

I would say that 3 (maybe 4 if you stretch it) of those rules were violated. A good refresher for what you shouldn't do. Relevant in my opinion.

I agree its relevant. Anytime I read articles like that it makes me extra cautious to be aware what I am doing at all times. I dont want to be another statistic or on the news for a negligent discharge.

That will show the other guy mess with him,and he will shoot himself again.

10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

I would say that 3 (maybe 4 if you stretch it) of those rules were violated. A good refresher for what you shouldn't do. Relevant in my opinion.
Some of those are total BS.

Agreed. There are four rules that need to be followed: (1) Gun is always loaded, (2) Don't put finger on trigger unless you are about to pull it, (3) Be sure of target and what is beyond it (4) Don't point muzzle at anything unless you intend to destroy it. Pretty basic but extremely important.

As for unloading my firearms when not in use. Well that's kind of like not putting batteries in your smoke detector while not in use. Also, I like to modify my guns.

You mean because rule 1 is the only rule you actually need to follow, and the rest are just expansions on not shooting people by being negligent? I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. There are four rules that need to be followed: (1) Gun is always loaded, (2) Don't put finger on trigger unless you are about to pull it, (3) Be sure of target and what is beyond it (4) Don't point muzzle at anything unless you intend to destroy it. Pretty basic but extremely important.

As for unloading my firearms when not in use. Well that's kind of like not putting batteries in your smoke detector while not in use. Also, I like to modify my guns.

Pointing the firearm in a safe direction is the only important rule. A safe direction includes at people you want dead, because making them dead makes you safe.

If I'm teaching a new person about firearms, I never give them a laundry list of rules to follow, because you read them a 10 rule list and by rule 4 they've forgotten rule 1. Don't point the gun at people, focus on that and only that. I'll remind them about trigger discipline as they shoot, but not as an explicit rule. One rule, don't point the gun at people. Everyone survives that way.

Last edited:
Yep that thinking is what causes accidents, you think the safety rules are BS.
No, thinking that negligence is an "accident" and trying to promote idiotic "safety" rules that have zero to do with safety, that's what the issue is.

No, thinking that negligence is an "accident" and trying to promote idiotic "safety" rules that have zero to do with safety, that's what the issue is.

Rules promote thinking and a person with a gun in their hand needs to be thinking. New people have no idea how to safely handle a gun until directed by a trainer what is safe. That I know best attitude doesn't matter if you get your self killed but those around you would prefer you follow the rules.[smile]

Who actually abides by rule #2?

Who actually abides by rule #2?

Rules come about for a reason. At our club we demand when a cease fire is called that shooters not going down range to change targets stand back from the firing line and you don't handle any gun. Left loaded on the bench after a lot of shooting a gun can cook off the round in the chamber. Do you want to be down range when an idiot leaves a loaded round in a hot chamber?

Accidents get your range shut down, we have one of the safest ranges in the United dtates.

Rules promote thinking and a person with a gun in their hand needs to be thinking. New people have no idea how to safely handle a gun until directed by a trainer what is safe. That I know best attitude doesn't matter if you get your self killed but those around you would prefer you follow the rules.[smile]
Then the rules should also include making sure your shoelaces are tied and your tire pressures are to factory spec, because those are as relevant to gun safety as some from the list upthread. Also, most gun owners are never "directed by a trainer" because they don't get training - does that automatically make them unsafe?

I go by one rule; If I don't want to shoot something I don't point a loaded gun (and no, mine are not always loaded...I've checked) at it and squeeze the trigger.

I often point the muzzle at things I don't want to shoot. For instance, my eye as I'm looking down the barrel to observe the condition of the bore, my floor...most often I don't want to shoot my floor or my TV as I practice dry firing. Sometimes I'd really like to shoot my TV but just haven't gone that far yet.

Rules come about for a reason. At our club we demand when a cease fire is called that shooters not going down range to change targets stand back from the firing line and you don't handle any gun. Left loaded on the bench after a lot of shooting a gun can cook off the round in the chamber. Do you want to be down range when an idiot leaves a loaded round in a hot chamber?

Accidents get your range shut down, we have one of the safest ranges in the United dtates.
Should I unload my home-defense gun every single morning when I leave for work? Actually, should I keep it unloaded all the time until someone actually tries to break in? Because that's what #2 is telling me.

This is pretty common in the ranges I've been to. When the range is cold, actions are open, ejection ports up, hands off. Nobody wants to be shot when downrange, least of all by their own gun! It habit for me now unless I'm holstering.

Then the rules should also include making sure your shoelaces are tied and your tire pressures are to factory spec, because those are as relevant to gun safety as some from the list upthread. Also, most gun owners are never "directed by a trainer" because they don't get training - does that automatically make them unsafe?

People are taught how to tie their shoes or check air pressure if they ask. Guns are made in a manner that they can take human life by the way they are handled. The bad guys are the ones that guns are supposed to be used against and you are not supposed to kill your friends,neighbors and fellow shooters on the gun range. We have the right to carry guns but without learning what is safe and what isnt you are an accident waiting to happen. Accidents come from not learning how to be safe.

People are taught how to tie their shoes or check air pressure if they ask. Guns are made in a manner that they can take human life by the way they are handled. The bad guys are the ones that guns are supposed to be used against and you are not supposed to kill your friends,neighbors and fellow shooters on the gun range. We have the right to carry guns but without learning what is safe and what isnt you are an accident waiting to happen. Accidents come from not learning how to be safe.
Not a single poster in this thread has argued against safe gun handling. But some of those "safety rules" that were listed upthread have no bearing on safety.

Should I unload my home-defense gun every single morning when I leave for work? Actually, should I keep it unloaded all the time until someone actually tries to break in? Because that's what #2 is telling me.

It says " when not in use" if you are carrying a gun for self defense it is in use. If you leave that gun loaded when not at home you may find a stranger pointing it at you when you return. A gun loaded when you are at home is in use, it is in ready condition. No offense but if you don't understand the rules you should have people explain how they came about. It's for your safety too, there is no reason you should be accidently killed by a fool with a gun. Your life is just as important as anyone elses.

Back
Top Bottom