Driver taking son to daycare shoots himself during road rage incident

Not a single poster in this thread has argued against safe gun handling. But some of those "safety rules" that were listed upthread have no bearing on safety.

I suppose talking gun safety makes me a troll. Sad ya'll turn everything into an arguement. My choices are either stay out of threads I may have good input or put those who always want a fight on ignore.

It says " when not in use" if you are carrying a gun for self defense it is in use. If you leave that gun loaded when not at home you may find a stranger pointing it at you when you return. A gun loaded when you are at home is in use, it is in ready condition. No offense but if you don't understand the rules you should have people explain how they came about. It's for your safety too, there is no reason you should be accidently killed by a fool with a gun. Your life is just as important as anyone elses.

So you're suggesting, that a thief would not be capable of loading a firearm? This is our point. You're making up rules that are not applicable to making anyone safer. Unloading a gun and locking it in a safe does not prevent a thief from opening your safe, loading it an shooting you when you get home.

Thank you kalash for the negative feed back and calling me a troll for talking gun safety on a gun board. You would be a bigger man if you did your deed in the open and tell people. I will return the negative feedback to you.

really, that's relevant to a firearms forum ?

hey I won the pot at Sanford this morning . now that's relevant !

It's a reminder for people who own Glocks. If you own one and haven't shot yourself in a lower extremity, its just a matter of time. I assume MikeyP linked the article as a PSA and that is relevant.

Honestly? Yes, neg feedback happens, that's why the feedback system is there. We don't need people to announce when they do it. Sometimes people just don't agree with you. It's OK. This is a discussion forum, not an echo chamber.

Thank you kalash for the negative feed back and calling me a troll for talking gun safety on a gun board. You would be a bigger man if you did your deed in the open and tell people. I will return the negative feedback to you.
You can't even read the comment I left you, can you? Also, unlike you I don't give two shits about rep so cry me a river.

I suppose talking gun safety makes me a troll. Sad ya'll turn everything into an arguement. My choices are either stay out of threads I may have good input or put those who always want a fight on ignore.

Don't they have an Oregon web group you can talk safety on and you can lecture people local to you.

It's a reminder for people who own Glocks. If you own one and haven't shot yourself in a lower extremity, its just a matter of time. I assume MikeyP linked the article as a PSA and that is relevant.
Wait, what?

So you're suggesting, that a thief would not be capable of loading a firearm? This is our point. You're making up rules that are not applicable to making anyone safer. Unloading a gun and locking it in a safe does not prevent a thief from opening your safe, loading it an shooting you when you get home.

I will answer your questions and leave, I have never seen people who argue safety so much. If a thief finds a loaded gun then it's a tool ready to use. Not everyone with a gun has a safe so gun storage should never have gun and ammo together when you are not home. Take the magazine with you in the car or put the ammo in the trunk but don't leave a loaded gun laying around for a thief or small child to pick up ever.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't even read the comment I left you, can you? Also, unlike you I don't give two shits about rep so cry me a river.

And obviously you don't care about safety...

Should I unload my home-defense gun every single morning when I leave for work? Actually, should I keep it unloaded all the time until someone actually tries to break in? Because that's what #2 is telling me.

No it's not. You simply have tunnel vision and can't understand that the term 'in use' might not be as narrow as you think.

I will answer your questions and leave, I have never seen people who argue safety so much. If a thief finds a loaded gun then it's a tool ready to use. Not everyone with a gun has a safe so gun storage should never have gun and ammo together when you are not home. Take the magazine with you in the car or put the ammo in the trunk but don't leave a loaded gun laying around for a thief or small child to pick up ever.

Clearly you're unaware of how many firearms, magazines and how much ammo a lot of people here own. I'm into triple digits on magazines alone.

I 100% care about safety. I just don't clutter "safety" with "preference of what makes me feel warm and fuzzy".

People get shot by having a gun pointed at them, either by their own fault or someone else's. The "golden" firearm rule is muzzle awareness at all times. Every other rule simply helps avoid a negligent discharge, they don't prevent people from being shot.

Is sitting in a safe considered "in use"? Because that's ridiculous.

If it's a gun for home defense and you keep it loaded in your safe for that purpose then yes. It is in use as a home defense weapon. Just as the gun in your holster is in use or the shotgun with the electrolock on the dash of LE's patrol car.
If I wanted to borrow that gun from you you might say 'no sorry, I'm using that for home defense'.

Firearms Safety -- 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

I would say that 3 (maybe 4 if you stretch it) of those rules were violated. A good refresher for what you shouldn't do. Relevant in my opinion.

There are only FOUR firearm safety rules:

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target.

There are only FOUR firearm safety rules:

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target.
Exactly (except I'd also add "and what's behind it" to #4). I guess if people want to argue the semantics of what "in use" means then carry on, but I just thought the "Keep it unloaded unless it's in use" rule kinda sounded stupid. My shotgun and lever rifle have never been "used" (yet) but they're still loaded and locked in a safe. I wouldn't necessarily classify that as being "in use" [laugh]. I don't know how that would be unsafe unless we think it's going to grow arms and pull its own trigger.

I'm still waiting for my shotgun to cook off the Winchester PDX rounds I keep in it. Any day now...

Has anyone actually seen this happen?

Did you actually read the list you're defending?

If it's a gun for home defense and you keep it loaded in your safe for that purpose then yes. It is in use as a home defense weapon. Just as the gun in your holster is in use or the shotgun with the electrolock on the dash of LE's patrol car.
If I wanted to borrow that gun from you you might say 'no sorry, I'm using that for home defense'.
I keep several guns loaded in the safe. Some are on rotation as carry guns and some are... just sitting there. No one knows the safe combination; no kids in the house; my room gets locked if I leave the house so roommates can't even walk in there. Guess I'm being unsafe, huh? [rolleyes]

How about #6, which doesn't actually say anything?
What about #7? I've shot quiet 22 without ear pro before - no issues.
#8 - do I need to check the barrel for obstructions every time I take out my carry gun before leaving the house? Why in the world would the barrel randomly have an obstruction?
Or #9 - why is modifying a gun unsafe? Installing night sights results in a self-inflicted bullet wound, huh?

And what is the service interval on a G19? What am I asking the gunsmith to do when I take it in for "regular service"?

I keep several guns loaded in the safe. Some are on rotation as carry guns and some are... just sitting there. No one knows the safe combination; no kids in the house; my room gets locked if I leave the house so roommates can't even walk in there. Guess I'm being unsafe, huh? [rolleyes]

How about #6, which doesn't actually say anything?
What about #7? I've shot quiet 22 without ear pro before - no issues.
#8 - do I need to check the barrel for obstructions every time I take out my carry gun before leaving the house? Why in the world would the barrel randomly have an obstruction?
Or #9 - why is modifying a gun unsafe? Installing night sights results in a self-inflicted bullet wound, huh?

I never declared that you were safe or unsafe. That's not for me to judge. I was just trying to point out that 'in use' means a lot of things. The fact that you have a rotation indicates that those guns are being used for something. If you take issue with some of the other rules that's your prerogative. I can read them and see the point that is being made. You seem to be taking them a little bit more literally. You can check the barrel for obstructions whenever you want and surely you know what works for you. To suggest that the rule to check for obstructions is a bad rule is a stretch in my opinion. 'the first thing you should do is buckle your seat belt when you get in your car' But if your car is in the driveway and you forgot your phone in the glove box and you have to get in to retrieve it I think that you probably don't have to buckle your seat belt. Still doesn't make it a bad rule.

I'm sitting here STILL waiting for you to have good input on anything. Even a single thread. To this point I have see you do nothing more than troll and argue in pointless circles with literally no cogent reasoning behind your words. I am flabbergasted that you have positive rep points and haven't been neg repped into oblivion. I have held back numerous times and only neg rep in extreme cases but you have most assuredly deserved more.

Are you people seriously arguing in favor of locking up home defense guns? Or have you convinced yourselves that a home defense gun on a night stand is "in use" while one on a coffee table is not?

I never declared that you were safe or unsafe. That's not for me to judge. I was just trying to point out that 'in use' means a lot of things. The fact that you have a rotation indicates that those guns are being used for something. If you take issue with some of the other rules that's your prerogative. I can read them and see the point that is being made. You seem to be taking them a little bit more literally. You can check the barrel for obstructions whenever you want and surely you know what works for you. To suggest that the rule to check for obstructions is a bad rule is a stretch in my opinion. 'the first thing you should do is buckle your seat belt when you get in your car' But if your car is in the driveway and you forgot your phone in the glove box and you have to get in to retrieve it I think that you probably don't have to buckle your seat belt. Still doesn't make it a bad rule.
Yes but at that point...is the car in use? [shocked][shocked]

Fair enough.

I haven't had my "gun" serviced on a regular basis for years![rofl]

Back
Top Bottom