• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DRONES ?

here is the upper level wind observation link

if there is a drone at 3000 feet ( the lowest they report) there is a problem , and its name is usually Casey Neistat

I believe Trappy from Team Black Sheep got himself in a bit of trouble too. He wasn’t so much going too high, but some of his vids weren’t exactly “safe” for lack of better terms. He does make some great equipment though.

FYI got the DJI Care program with the Mavic Mini. It “ran away” (a known early problem) hit a tree and broke the camera gimbal. Opened a case, they sent me a UPS label to TX, they evaluated and fixed it and it’s on the way back. $39 so well worth .

Wish I’d purchased the Fly More package but did buy a second battery
Thanks!
Just received my mini with the fly more package. My dog is going Nuts!!
My first drone but man its awesome! I have a lot to learn. The thing does not like thermals (wind) .
Well worth the money!!!!

Attachments

• thehouse.jpg
    thehouse.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 13
Have any of you DJI folks tried the low-noise propellers? Do they make a noticeable difference? I have a Mavic if that makes a difference.

I have not tried them. on the Mavic forums I frequent they have been widely praised. I've only gone through a couple of sets of propellers in 3 years if I ever need to restock I will do it with those

I have not tried them. on the Mavic forums I frequent they have been widely praised. I've only gone through a couple of sets of propellers in 3 years if I ever need to restock I will do it with those
I think I went through one set in the first week I had it, and have gone through zero in the couple of years since.

I think I went through one set in the first week I had it, and have gone through zero in the couple of years since.
after you've had your first couple of mistakes of bumping into trees and things you usually don't go to a lot of propellers after that

And some IDIOT puts another nail in our collective coffin by doing something STUPID with a sUAV

I love my drones, planes etc.. FPV on about everything, and these idiots will eventually take my hobby from me. Like most things, there is a right way and a wrong way, we have been flying FPV for years under the radar, then, DJI.

I have the Mavic Pro Version 1, it can fly pretty far out, but the game changer for me was the DJI Goggles Racing Edition, I got them on sale and wouldn't fly without them now.

If you ever see them on sale grab them, they don't work with the mini, so make sure you verify they work with your dji model.

Technically speaking you're supposed to keep line of sight on your drone, my wife will often stand next to me if there are on lookers.

19AC3ABE-46FC-4A01-B723-68EC4BAB1072-L.jpg
Mavic Mini shot of Mt Sunapee from about 1.5 miles away and 200’ up. Always blown away by how different things look.

Last edited:
Next up drone races!!!
I'll e-wire it.
I highly recommend beginning with drone racing league, or liftoff. Both simulators are on steam. What’s really slick is if you buy a FrSky taranis (90% of fpv racers use this) or a team black sheep transmitter, it connects by usb to your computer to fly the sim. I used to use spectrum radios, but the range and upgrades weren’t there. You can also buy a usb wireless dongle for running sims.
But get a sim, and run it until you are confident. It’s much cheaper than scattering multi rotor parts all around the neighborhood.

Get yourself a cheap Syma drone to beat on. I let my dog chase it around and grab it, it has tooth marks in it and still flys. For about $30 bucks you can’t go wrong.

Get yourself a cheap Syma drone to beat on. I let my dog chase it around and grab it, it has tooth marks in it and still flys. For about $30 bucks you can’t go wrong.
Well I was worried about my dog trying to grab it but on the second day while buzzing the dog I pushed down instead of up! Needles to say the dog will not get near the thing.

I got the DJI Mavic Air for my first drone in 2018. Same time the AIR came out, and I was getting into drones. Still have it, and love it. Extremely easy to take on the go, like vacations or hikes or whatever. Considering on getting the Mavic Air 2 which just came out. No complaints on the Air, except for wish the batteries lasted longer. You will definitely need a few.

Any recommendations for drones for beginners ??? been thinking of the DJI mavic 2 pro

Do you have a ham radio license? Some of the more powerful models require an amateur radio license to fly. I'm dying to get my drone up in the air soon. I want to do some shoreline flying in RI assuming the concerned Karens don't freak out.

Do you have a ham radio license? Some of the more powerful models require an amateur radio license to fly. I'm dying to get my drone up in the air soon. I want to do some shoreline flying in RI assuming the concerned Karens don't freak out.
If your drone is transmitting at all you have to do the HAM thing. Good news Boy Scouts usually pull off the general license in a weekend. It’s not tough.

Are you sure about that? I doubt these DJI drones are broadcasting on HAM frequencies. I guess some drones might, but I am not sure the point. These small drones won't go far enough away before battery fails.

Are you sure about that? I doubt these DJI drones are broadcasting on HAM frequencies. I guess some drones might, but I am not sure the point. These small drones won't go far enough away before battery fails.

It's not the frequencies it's the power output of the transmitter. I play it safe and put my call sign on the transmitter per the FCC rules. This way if I ever get questioned I will have my license on the transmitter and the tail number of the drone is also on the drone itself.

That’s the first I’ve heard of any drone operator needing a ham license. I’ve been following and studying drones with the intent of getting one. I’ve followed several of the drone channels on YouTube and they have never mentioned a ham license. Most of the newer drones are running blutoooth/WiFi. Maybe the size of the drone?

That’s the first I’ve heard of any drone operator needing a ham license. I’ve been following and studying drones with the intent of getting one. I’ve followed several of the drone channels on YouTube and they have never mentioned a ham license. Most of the newer drones are running blutoooth/WiFi. Maybe the size of the drone?
check out the FPV regulatory note when you scroll down on this link.

Back
Top Bottom