• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dry fire practice

shakti

NES Member
Hello gun enthusiasts,

Is it worth getting a dry fire system like "G-Sight ELMS Plus PROPACK Dry Fire Cartridge Laser Training System" to train at home with a 9mm? There seem to be many such systems on Amazon. What are the advantages of getting such a system? Recoil would be there or non-existent?

Are there other recommendations you have?

Thank you

R.ab0684114fb9dc6d7f55f99f57fb7f95

Couldn’t resist. Never tried any system. My dry fire practices lacks discipline though. Need to spend more time on it.

I’ve never used one of the systems with fancy targets. This is the one that I bought probably 8 years ago. Haven’t used it in a while but I really liked it when I was using it. For me it really illustrated how I was moving the pistol as I was pulling the trigger. the laser would make a little 1/2” dash on the target. took a lot of practice for me to get it to stop doing that. It was also useful for me to practice my point shooting. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NKY23E/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Hello gun enthusiasts,

Is it worth getting a dry fire system like "G-Sight ELMS Plus PROPACK Dry Fire Cartridge Laser Training System" to train at home with a 9mm? There seem to be many such systems on Amazon. What are the advantages of getting such a system? Recoil would be there or non-existent?

Thank you
laser`s rubber pad gets beaten up quite fast usually.
a good combination is this target:
Amazon product ASIN B00OMCTX96View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMCTX96

and laser
Amazon product ASIN B07K34W265View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K34W265

I've never used one of those fancy systems but it sounds like they could be useful. I've bought half a dozen .45 Colt lasers for use in a revolver and like them for dry fire practice. Even without lasers, I can't imagine any dry fire practice being a waste of time.

I have an iTarget Pro that I have used to evaluate my shooting technique.

The fact that it gives you an immediate feedback on where you hit, can help to fix bad shooting habits and improve muscle memory.
This can still be accomplished with plain dry firing (the bullet is a glorified snap cap), but who doesn't like more toys...for short money.

I haven't seen any issues with the o'ring retainer being torn and have used it enough that the batteries needed to be changed.

I have a 9mm and .45 laser bullet that I use from 21 to 30 feet.

It has been worthwhile for me, but your mileage may vary and shouldn't be your only training method.
There are a bunch of these out there, so I am not hawking itarget.

If you are using striker fired pistols, you have to cycle every time to reset the trigger and there is no felt recoil, just trigger pull.

Hello gun enthusiasts,

Thank you
Check this out from this year’s shot show

The utility of dry fire practice for a comparative newbie trying to build his initial skill set is debatable. Yes, it can help develop a good sense of trigger break in a non-recoil environment -- but, in my opinion (as a long time instructor), so also can .22s. Ultimately, however, the shooter has to develop a good trigger break when shooting a pistol that does have recoil -- i.e., he has to learn how to ignore the prospect-of-recoil-induced "flinch" -- something dry fire isn't going to help with.

And, for my money, dry fire introduces a potential safety issue: one engaged in extensive dry fire knows the gun is unloaded (supposedly) and therefore lowers his adherence to basic firearms safety with regard to when the gun is pointed when one breaks the trigger. Learning on the range with a loaded .22 avoids this issue.

The utility of dry fire practice for a comparative newbie trying to build his initial skill set is debatable.
there is nothing debatable about it. it is the one and only simple way to train and develop your draw muscle memory.
once you`ve got it and upon your draw your sights and eye aligned to the mark - you may call it debatable.

I've used the mantis system. It gives you good analysis of each pull of the trigger. Definitely helps to tell you what you are doing wrong. Tells you what you did with the trigger and how you may have moved the gun during the shot. Connects to iphone by bluetooth. Saves a report for each shot. Can be used with dry fire or live fire.

And, for my money, dry fire introduces a potential safety issue: one engaged in extensive dry fire knows the gun is unloaded (supposedly) and therefore lowers his adherence to basic firearms safety with regard to when the gun is pointed when one breaks the trigger. Learning on the range with a loaded .22 avoids this issue.
That sounds like some FUDD shit IMO. Never heard this argument before

That sounds like some FUDD shit IMO. Never heard this argument before
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, which presumably is based on your level of training and experience.

On the other hand, every time somebody gets injured and the guy holding the now smoking gun utters "but I thought it was unloaded," you have a dry-fire cum injury incident.

Yes, it can help develop a good sense of trigger break in a non-recoil environment -- but, in my opinion (as a long time instructor), so also can .22s. Ultimately, however, the shooter has to develop a good trigger break when shooting a pistol that does have recoil -- i.e., he has to learn how to ignore the prospect-of-recoil-induced "flinch" -- something dry fire isn't going to help with.
You can't say that without knowing what OP is training for. A "good trigger break" is great for bullseye type shooting with no time limits; it's pretty useless for action shooting (IDPA, USPSA, etc).

I use a Mantis and a DryFireMag. The Dry Fire Mag adds a mechanical "CLICK" every time you pull the trigger so you don't have to work the slide every shot on a striker fired pistol. The mantis will pick up on the vibration of the click and tell you how you were moving during the instant you pulled the trigger.
I am not sure how much it has helped me to be honest. I am still nowhere near as good as I would like to be.

I have not seriously looked into the accuracy laser devices. Every one I have seen requires that you work the slide each shot (the firing pin needs to hit them) and I don't want to create the training scar of doing that every shot. Also I am too lazy.

There are "blue guns" which fire the laser every trigger pull, designed look/feel similar to real guns. Most of them cost darn near as much too.

My DS was a former Army Marksmanship Unit shooter.

When I was “Duty Corporal” he taped a piece of paper on the wall, made a dot, put a pencil in the barrel, and had me dry fire at the dot. The pencil would strike underneath and show how you were moving around.

Just dry fire at home with a 9mm shell case on the front of the firearm, gentle trigger press so you don't knock the shell case off. At the range relax and wear plugs with your muffs for better hearing protection. This can also help with any flinching you may have. Put a snap cap in your mag at the range.

I use a Mantis and a DryFireMag. The Dry Fire Mag adds a mechanical "CLICK" every time you pull the trigger so you don't have to work the slide every shot on a striker fired pistol. The mantis will pick up on the vibration of the click and tell you how you were moving during the instant you pulled the trigger.
I am not sure how much it has helped me to be honest. I am still nowhere near as good as I would like to be.

I have not seriously looked into the accuracy laser devices. Every one I have seen requires that you work the slide each shot (the firing pin needs to hit them) and I don't want to create the training scar of doing that every shot. Also I am too lazy.

There are "blue guns" which fire the laser every trigger pull, designed look/feel similar to real guns. Most of them cost darn near as much too.
Did you have to adjust any settings for the mantis to work with the dryfire mag? I let a friend borrow my Mantis and a dry fire mag. The Mantis doesnt seem to pick up every "shot" for her. I bought the dryfire mag a while back because I have a p320, but never actually used it.

MantisX systems are the fanciest ones with all the sensors for giving you instructor level feedback on dry and live fire (on the better models that can tolerate recoil).
iTargetPro systems are a good budget laser dryfire system.

Back
Top Bottom