• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dual Residency NH + MA

So. After living in Boston for over 20 years I moved to Michigan and discovered whats its like to live as a FREE American citizen.

A year ago I moved back to New England and moved to New Hampshire. I swore up and down I would NEVER move back to MA.
My family has a summer house on Cape Cod.

Getting a NH drivers license made my awesome multi-state Michigan Concealed Carry null and void.

Went to MassFirearms, took the MultiLicense course and did two things: Applied and Received my UTAH CCW and went to Cape Cod for a Resident CCW.(still in process since January)

I work all over New England but mainly inside 128/95/Boston. The 4-plus hour commute is shortening my life by the day.
I'm considering moving to Cape Cod (3-4 days a week) with an apartment in the Boston (3-4 days a week) .

If I become a full time MA resident with a resident CCW in place what does that do to my Smith, Wesson and Mossburg collection?

What actually establishes a 'state residency'? Do I rent an apartment in NH and MA? Do I deal with the MA thing for a while and save my pennies for piece of land in the mountains as my bug out shack? Do I fortify the family compound on the Cape and prepare to defend from enemies both foreign and domestic?

What say you?

If your primary is in NH nothing happens. You move guns as you see fit (if you get licensed and the guns are legal here, frankly id leave 99% in NH if i were you) etc. Good luck getting an MA res ltc without an MA DL, it's not impossible but likely annoying.

ETA: reading fail on my part, you're completely insane if you want to seek 100% ma residency... good luck, your gun rights are about to go to shit like the rest of us peons.

Last edited:
Get a MA non-res. Yes there are more hoops to jump through and it costs $100 a year but you'll (probably) be able to carry while you're in MA. Leave anything important in NH.

Get a MA non-res. Yes there are more hoops to jump through and it costs $100 a year but you'll (probably) be able to carry while you're in MA. Leave anything important in NH.

Especially all post 1994 manufactured magazines of over 10 round capacity.

How does a 30 mile commute take 4 hours? I moved to Grafton N.H. in 2002. Boston is 100 miles and my commute was less than 4 hours total per day.

How does a 30 mile commute take 4 hours? I moved to Grafton N.H. in 2002. Boston is 100 miles and my commute was less than 4 hours total per day.

The financial district is 33 miles from my house in Metrowest. Depending on the time of day, the commute can easily exceed 2 hours in each direction. It has taken me 30 minutes just to get ONTO the pike. Hit a school bus stopping every 16" to pick up the little snowflakes, and that can add 15. Over 10 minutes to get through the 'ez-pass' and onramp, to a 20+ mile commute rarely exceeding 20 miles per hour, 20+ minutes to get through the engineering nightmare of the Weston tool, the fvcktards at newton thinking it's a good idea to drive 2 wide into an over-congested 3 lane highway, 30+ minutes going into the Pru tunnel construction, etc. 4 hours is very realistic. Add rain, and it's worse. Add snow and 2 hours can double.

In the opposite direction on the way out, the douchebags who decide that they can park in a lane of travel and just leave their flashers on makes it "OK" can double the time from Federal Street to the pike onramp.

Last edited:
Keep NH as your permanent residence. Get a MA non-resident LTC. Problem solved.

If he can get a MA Resident as well it's all good. Glidden advocated to Cape chiefs to issue part-time residents since there are so many of them. It's worth a try.

But moving 100% to MA VOLUNTARILY is insane and justifiable reason to question one's mental health! [wink]

Couldn't OP also become MA resident for DL purposes, get MA resident LTC and maintain second home in NH, having dual residency for BATFE purposes? He'd get NH non-res carry permit. I would still vote for doing it all the other way around since there is no benefit of having MA be primary residence.

So. After living in Boston for over 20 years I moved to Michigan and discovered whats its like to live as a FREE American citizen.

A year ago I moved back to New England and moved to New Hampshire. I swore up and down I would NEVER move back to MA.
My family has a summer house on Cape Cod.

Getting a NH drivers license made my awesome multi-state Michigan Concealed Carry null and void.

Went to MassFirearms, took the MultiLicense course and did two things: Applied and Received my UTAH CCW and went to Cape Cod for a Resident CCW.(still in process since January)

I work all over New England but mainly inside 128/95/Boston. The 4-plus hour commute is shortening my life by the day.
I'm considering moving to Cape Cod (3-4 days a week) with an apartment in the Boston (3-4 days a week) .

If I become a full time MA resident with a resident CCW in place what does that do to my Smith, Wesson and Mossburg collection?

What actually establishes a 'state residency'? Do I rent an apartment in NH and MA? Do I deal with the MA thing for a while and save my pennies for piece of land in the mountains as my bug out shack? Do I fortify the family compound on the Cape and prepare to defend from enemies both foreign and domestic?

What say you?

Ok a few things:

1: "Cape Cod" is not a town and there are no unincorporated parts of Mass, especially in Barnstable County, therefore I'm not sure why you went to "Cape Cod" for a carry permit. Or you're just trying to avoid saying the name of the town.

2: Living in both Boston (depending on the area - Beacon Hill isn't Allston) and on Cape Cod isn't going to be cheap. God bless you and your finances.

3: If you mostly own S&W revolvers or older pistols and Mossberg shotguns or lever action rifles, nothing would happen I would imagine, provided you comply with getting a LTC in the required amount of time from move-in to Mass.

4: I'm not positive what exactly is required to be a resident of a Massachusetts town, however in NH, you need at least two of the following (see link):

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/identification-residency.pdf

5: Personally, I'd just live in northeast or eastern Rhode Island, like Woonsocket, Cumberland, North Smithfield, Providence, EP, Tiverton, or Bristol County, RI. That way you'd be near 95, 495, 146, 295, 24, 195, 6 and Mass 9. Splitting the difference between Boston and Cape Cod seems insane to me considering Mass gun laws and you told yourself you didn't want to move to Mass again. However, since you've lived in Michigan and New Hampshire but not RI, you might go nanners in RI.

Last edited:
Take the Commuter Rail. It ain't perfect, but it beats the living S*** out of driving.

This. I used to take the train in from Franklin....~1 hour...rain/shine/snow... driving was always a "what can go wrong today proposition"...

Ok a few things:

1: "Cape Cod" is not a town and there are no unincorporated parts of Mass, especially in Barnstable County, therefore I'm not sure why you went to "Cape Cod" for a carry permit. Or you're just trying to avoid saying the name of the town.

2: Living in both Boston (depending on the area - Beacon Hill isn't Allston) and on Cape Cod isn't going to be cheap. God bless you and your finances.

3: If you mostly own S&W revolvers or older pistols and Mossberg shotguns or lever action rifles, nothing would happen I would imagine, provided you comply with getting a LTC in the required amount of time from move-in to Mass.

4: I'm not positive what exactly is required to be a resident of a Massachusetts town, however in NH, you need at least two of the following (see link):

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/identification-residency.pdf

5: Personally, I'd just live in northeast or eastern Rhode Island, like Woonsocket, Cumberland, North Smithfield, Providence, EP, Tiverton, or Bristol County, RI. That way you'd be near 95, 495, 146, 295, 24, 195, 6 and Mass 9. Splitting the difference between Boston and Cape Cod seems insane to me considering Mass gun laws and you told yourself you didn't want to move to Mass again. However, since you've lived in Michigan and New Hampshire but not RI, you might go nanners in RI.

Plans have changed. Moving out of NH entirely to become a M******* again.

1. Yes. Avoiding saying the town. Suffice to say outer Cape. Applied for LTC to outer Cape Town in January for a resident permit. Still 'in-process'.

2. I lived in the Boston area for over 20 years. 14 of which in Somerville. I know I can't afford anything bigger than a 'safe' 1BR inside 128. Looking at South Shore.

3. Own a MP-15 and various semiauto handguns and shotguns. Should I sell the AR and buy a Mass Compliant one?

4. Already classified as a MA 'seasonal resident'.

5. The RI commute will be like the NH commute. I usually put 40K miles on my vehicles per year. I'm used to driving. Just trying to spend less time in the car on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom