• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DUI in another state a DQ?

Grew up in Mass. Moved out a decade ago, moved to Maryland. 7 years ago got arrested for DUI and got a probation before judgement. In total is was 0 days of probation and a small fine. I made a mistake and life goes on.

Currently in a position that I might be moving back to the area. I would ideally like to move to NH or RI. Worst case we end up back in MA. Would I be DQd from a LTC in MA? DUI in MD is a misdemeanor.

Grew up in Mass. Moved out a decade ago, moved to Maryland. 7 years ago got arrested for DUI and got a probation before judgement. In total is was 0 days of probation and a small fine. I made a mistake and life goes on.

Currently in a position that I might be moving back to the area. I would ideally like to move to NH or RI. Worst case we end up back in MA. Would I be DQd from a LTC in MA? DUI in MD is a misdemeanor.
Technically no. But maybe yes.
You wouldn't be immediately denied based on the DUI, as you stated it is a misdemeanor in MD. In comparison to someone that received the same DUI in MA, which is a felony, makes them a prohibited person for life.
But depending on the town you chose, the Chief of police in that town has the final say as to weather you are a suitable person to get a gun license. The chief may or may not use that DUI case against you.
Clear as mud.

DUI in MA, which is a felony, makes them a prohibited person for life.
it is a misdemeanor in MA but carries a potential penalty of 2.5 years of jail which makes it the same as a felony for gun rights. Commonly referred to as a “misdafelony”. Correct conclusion, slightly wrong facts.

If dui in your state has a potential penalty in excess of two years you are f&cked for certain. Otherwise it’s up to the totally arbitrary decision of the local licensing authority. As Nick says, clear as mud.

Possibly, possibly not. Like the poster above said, it depends on the state and the penalty that is attached.
I know 2 people with out of state DUI's that have their LTC-A's. One beat the rap, one was found guilty.
One actually got one while they were licensed, and subsequently have renewed maybe twice since then.

Not a lawyer, but the Law Offices of Google & Google Esq. say that MD first offenses, as long as you aren't transporting a minor, max out "not to exceed one year." DWI is less than that.

I'd guess you should be ok statutorily?

Back
Top Bottom