Dumb ass at Bass Pro

CaptDan3

NES Member
I buddy of mine was looking to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 cal. He found one at Bass Pro in Foxboro and he asked the clerk
" Will this also shoot 38 cal ammo?" The clerk responded with " No you shouldn't use 38 spl. in a 357 mag, the shells with rattle back and forth"

Where do they find these clerks?

Dan Long
Boston, MA.

go there one day and listen to what they tell all the people when they say it's there first gun it's pretty bad what they tell people it's al BS

Is there a chance, just a chance mind you, that he was ****ing with your buddy because he thought that was a dumbass question?

I'm not passing judgement here, I just think you caught Mr.Surly at the right moment.

Not in Mass! That's high capacity fish killer line! And that lure hasn't been approved by the sturgeon general, so can't use that either

Fixed it for you

I buddy of mine was looking to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 cal. He found one at Bass Pro in Foxboro and he asked the clerk
" Will this also shoot 38 cal ammo?" The clerk responded with " No you shouldn't use 38 spl. in a 357 mag, the shells with rattle back and forth"

Where do they find these clerks?

Dan Long
Boston, MA.

so, the clerk didnt know, but your friend didnt know either, yet the clerk is stupid but your friend isnt. WTF? I think they are both stupid.

but anyways, maybe its store policy or some crap like that to tell people that guns cannot shoot a different caliber. Or maybe the clerk didnt know, you shouldnt expect them to know it all, its Bass Pro. If you are going to buy a gun you should do your research before you walk in the store.

I work part time in retail and I know a ton about guns, kayaking, backpacking, camping gear and archery, but don't know crap about fishing tackle. When a customer asks me a question I don't know, I tell them: "I don't know, but let's find out." Marks rule for 'Retail 101' : Never bullshit the customer...Sadly, not many know this rule...To the OP - it sounds like your friend is an idiot as well. Two retards at a gun counter - perfect... [wink]

Its been a while since I bought my first gun but I looked in Bass pro shop in Foxboro for one because they were open sunday night. I didn't know much but I knew more than the sales person there. I'll give them, At least they tried to make buying a gun a pleasent experience. I would go there again though. How did the get that sport fishing boat in there??????

I stand around the gun case at Bass Pro, listen, and laugh about all the idiots. My favorite is the guy that goes with like 3 buddies to look at an SW 500 for a carry gun(saw that). Ill just window shop for 15minutes just so I can listen

so, the clerk didnt know, but your friend didnt know either, yet the clerk is stupid but your friend isnt. WTF? I think they are both stupid.

but anyways, maybe its store policy or some crap like that to tell people that guns cannot shoot a different caliber. Or maybe the clerk didnt know, you shouldnt expect them to know it all, its Bass Pro. If you are going to buy a gun you should do your research before you walk in the store.
If he is a new shooter it's something he may not know but could have heard about it second hand and asked the employee if it was true or not. Usually when you go to a store you would expect the employee to know about what they are selling, but you can't expect that at big box stores. The employee on the other hand should know the information on what they are selling and if they don't they should say they don't know or ask someone that does. Not give false information.

I work part time in retail and I know a ton about guns, kayaking, backpacking, camping gear and archery, but don't know crap about fishing tackle. When a customer asks me a question I don't know, I tell them: "I don't know, but let's find out." Marks rule for 'Retail 101' : Never bullshit the customer...Sadly, not many know this rule...To the OP - it sounds like your friend is an idiot as well. Two retards at a gun counter - perfect... [wink]

This.

And, I try to be as knowledgeable about everything I sell as possible. Except tampons. Those questions I just pretend to not hear [laugh]

This.

And, I try to be as knowledgeable about everything I sell as possible. Except tampons. Those questions I just pretend to not hear [laugh]

Yes, I used to work at Bass Pro because I loved the discount that you get. I was there before it opened, and for a few years after until my job got in the way. There are still a few gun people that work there...

It used to be that all the people behind the gun counter were there because they wanted to be there...they all were well knowledged in firearms and many competed. If someone asked me about a shotgun, I would ask the person that was a champion skeet shooter. When it came to ballistics, we had a Marine Sniper that still taught and still competes. He was also a very good hunter and was always bringing in some stew or sausage that he made from something that he got in the woods.

It used to be that actually gun and people that hunted a lot worked there. Sadly, from talking to the few people that still work there from when it opened...the quality of people that they hire has changed. Then, a lot of the management that was there when we opened has left as well.

It's a shame, because when I go to Cabela's or Bass Pro's on the road, the people in the Gun/Hunting areas seems to know a lot of information. I was in the Cabela's in Minnesota and the Fish and Game Police were shopping in there. I was talking to them and the people in the camping department and they were very well knowledged. It was nice to see them all discussing hunting and such in the local area.

I just think that a lot of it also has to do with the attitude of people here in MA against Hunting and Firearms. People here didn't grow up with it, so they don't understand it.

The .38 in .357 is a confusing situation - I was asked about it in the last BP class I helped in. So, it's not unreasonable for a new shooter to ask.

Now....the poor bastid that got "caught" at our Club shooting Gun Club ammo he'd bought at Dick's.....they told him that it was steel (which we require), but it was actually lead.

Our sport is a complex and detailed endeavor; not everyone knows it all - hell, I've been doing it a while, and I'm always learning more - so a new shooter confused is not a big deal....and as stated above, the well of retail employees in the PRM that are gun folks is a shallow one.

Back
Top Bottom