Duty to notify officer that you're carrying when stopped by an officer of the law.

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
I tried the search and was unsuccesful in finding the answer. It was my understanding that there was no duty to notify in MA. but I've seen some other things elsewhere that has me questioning whether or not there is a duty to notify. So what is the correct answer and what is the MGL etc. Thank you.

In mass if you are asked you must inform them. I believe it’s always good to keep hands on the wheel, inform the officer you are license d to carry and have a firearm on you , in the glove compartment etc. it drops the tension and if for some reason if you’re asked to get out of the car they won’t be surprised if it is noticed. My opinion only on that part.

In mass if you are asked you must inform them. I believe it’s always good to keep hands on the wheel, inform the officer you are license d to carry and have a firearm on you , in the glove compartment etc. it drops the tension and if for some reason if you’re asked to get out of the car they won’t be surprised if it is noticed. My opinion only on that part.

I wouldn't mention it until they asked about it or until they ask me to get out of the car. My opinion.

So no duty to notify unless asked. Thank you.

I do not believe there is a duty to notify, you only have to disclose your carrying if you are asked. The paranoid side of me says that volunteering that information only gives them an excuse to tell you to step out of the vehicle so they can attempt to go on a search/fishing expedition in your car. I knew a cop that once said to me that if he ever found out the driver of a car was concealing a handgun they were probably up to no good, their LTC was irrelevant.

So no duty to notify unless asked. Thank you.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the city of Springfield “required” their LTC holders to disclose as a condition of licensing. I can’t remember where I read/heard that.

I’m going totally from memory here so maybe someone else know.

I don’t disclose unless asked and I’m never asked as I haven’t been stopped in decades.

Bob

I do not believe there is a duty to notify, you only have to disclose your carrying if you are asked. The paranoid side of me says that volunteering that information only gives them an excuse to tell you to step out of the vehicle so they can attempt to go on a search/fishing expedition in your car. I knew a cop that once said to me that if he ever found out the driver of a car was concealing a handgun they were probably up to no good, their LTC was irrelevant.

lmao, well that guy is a total moron, and indeed. They can see by running the plate if there's a LTC or not. been stopped few times, never got a ticket and never been asked

lmao, well that guy is a total moron, and indeed. They can see by running the plate if there's a LTC or not. been stopped few times, never got a ticket and never been asked
Agreed, we no longer communicate. He was not a good example of a police officer, I think he actually ended up getting fired for sleeping in his cruiser.

The only thing that sucks for me is that I carry appendix and I slip the seat belt behind the gun and then drape my shirt over it. If a cop ever tells me that I need to exit the vehicle it's probably a good idea that I tell him I'm carrying before I undo my seatbelt, or things could get real awkward real fast.

I tried the search and was unsuccesful in finding the answer. It was my understanding that there was no duty to notify in MA. but I've seen some other things elsewhere that has me questioning whether or not there is a duty to notify. So what is the correct answer and what is the MGL etc. Thank you.

There isn't one, although the last time I got stopped the rookie trooper that had pulled me over for a headlight out was kinda pissy about the fact that I didn't declare it to him immediately... so there's that.... but it's not in the law. In the past decade I had been stopped a whole bunch of times and it was never an issue except for that ONE guy, so I am going to continue to just keep my mouth shut. [laugh]

The only thing that sucks for me is that I carry appendix and I slip the seat belt behind the gun and then drape my shirt over it. If a cop ever tells me that I need to exit the vehicle it's probably a good idea that I tell him I'm carrying before I undo my seatbelt, or things could get real awkward real fast.

I'd say, "I have an LTC, and I am carrying...how do you want me to proceed?" as opposed to saying, "Yo, Pig, I'm strapped." Style points count, you know.

It's simple.

You don't have to inform them.

If they ask, you have to tell them.

Anyone that disagrees with that is an idiot. Anyone that argues with that is an American.

Anytime with law enforcement it always comes down to common sense. People doing the wrong thing will always struggle. People doing the right thing will never struggle, when they do, there's paths to take for that.

So the official answer has been given- no need to notify. And yes- once your plates are run your identity and possession of a LTC are known.

If stopped, my MO is to have my license in my left hand and both hands on the wheel. Driver's window down and right passenger's as well- especially if dark tinted. Dome light on at night.

For those who want to continue arguing the point to notify in Mass- just yell "I HAVE A GUN!" in your most excited voice and make some sudden movements. (sarcasm- don't do this)

Back
Top Bottom