• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duxbury Police seize guns from old man

DPR

NES Member

DUXBURY — Police responding to a medical call ended up seizing 25 guns from a Congress Street homeowner, who wasn’t licensed to have them.

Police were called to the home on Tuesday at about 3:20 p.m. for a report of an 81-year-old man who had fallen and needed help. Duxbury firefighters helped the homeowner who was taken to an area-hospital, according to a statement.

Want news like this sent straight to your inbox? Head over to PatriotLedger.com to sign up for alerts and make sure you never miss a thing. You pick the news you want, we deliver.
While on scene police discovered a number of unsecured firearms in the home and thousands of rounds of ammunition of various calibers in addition to gun powder. Officers determined the homeowner, not identified by police, had a license to carry at one point, but that it expired several years ago. Due to the large amount of ammunition, Duxbury police requested help from the State Police bomb squad to investigate the safety of the stored ammunition. Police determined that there was no danger to the public, and seized three handguns, three shotguns and 19 rifles.

Officers were able to locate at a nearby relative who was properly licensed to take the ammunition. The guns were taken to the Duxbury Police Station. The incident remains under investigation and no charges have been filed as of Wednesday.

I wonder if he had the good ol' "lifetime" license.
My immediate reaction was no, since that was an FID and not LTC, but then again, it's the news, and we're no stranger to seeing "assault revolvers" and "40mm ammunition clips."

"Duxbury police requested help from the State Police bomb squad to investigate the safety of the stored ammunition. Police determined that there was no danger to the public, and seized three handguns, three shotguns and 19 rifles."

How does a call like that go? Hey Sarg there's a lot of stored ammo here do you think it might start going off. I don't know I'm not smart either. Lets call the bomb squad those guys are really smart when it comes to ammo and primer thingy's. Maybe we should get a medal for saving the neighborhood this whole place could have blown up. We will lock this old bastard up for the rest of his life and the whole world will be safer.

Huh. Interesting they treated the ammo differently than the firearms.
Very odd, they usually blow it up for a photo op for the media.

I wonder if he had the good ol' "lifetime" license.
Possible if old enough as before 1998 you could possess handguns in the home (only) with an FID card.

In any case, if they actually read the law they might learn that possession with any expired FID/LTC is strictly a civil fine, not a criminal offense. Saying that I personally saw a man charged criminally and the defense told me that if it weren't for my testimony they would have convicted him for the non-crime.

Probably didn't want the hassle of loading, unloading and storing the weight...
Many hands can make light work of it and if not blown up it simply disappears.

The 50 000 rounds were carefully loaded on a truck. At the barracks, the 20 000 rounds were inventoried and sent to inspection, where the 5 000 rounds were analyzed. The 2 000 rounds were then sent back to the state police where it was decided that all 6 boxes of .32 and 4 boxes of 22 WMR would have to be destroyed.

The 50 000 rounds were carefully loaded on a truck. At the barracks, the 20 000 rounds were inventoried and sent to inspection, where the 5 000 rounds were analyzed. The 2 000 rounds were then sent back to the state police where it was decided that all 6 boxes of .32 and 4 boxes of 22 WMR would have to be destroyed.
That's about the size of it.

MA's unconstitutional prohibition of simple possession in the home needs to be rectified in federal court. This is ridiculous. It's probably a C&R collection with some bonded warehouse getting giddy at their windfall.

This.

Could be a perfect case for Comm 2A.

Bob

Officers were able to locate a nearby relative who was properly licensed to take the ammunition.
The guns were taken to the Duxbury Police Station, where they were picked over buy the Police Officers for their personal collections.
Sgt. O'Leary was quoted as saying "Hey! I saw that first and called 'DIBS'..."

Oddly none of the 9mm made it to the relative's...

How does a call like that go? Hey Sarg there's a lot of stored ammo here do you think it might start going off. I don't know I'm not smart either. Lets call the bomb squad those guys are really smart when it comes to ammo and primer thingy's. Maybe we should get a medal for saving the neighborhood this whole place could have blown up.
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom