E FA10 Question

DavidC77

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm wondering about finding a printed E FA10...

What my thinking is if I go and buy a gun from John/Jane Doe, I don't want to be filling out a E FA10 on a open Wi-Fi Network...

Can I just use a copy of the old paper FA10 (to get the info) than when I get home get on my home computer, that is safe, and than fill out the E FA10???

Or am I thinking wrong???

Can I just write down the info (like on a copy of an old FA10) and than when I get home I can do the E FA10...

I'm not sure on the law... Do I have to fill out the E FA10 where I buy the gun, or is that something I do after??? Than using the info I wrote down load it into the State E FA10...

I haven't bought a gun privately in many years that's why I'm asking, usually I just meet at a Gun Shop and do the transfer through the Gun Shop, or buy at a Gun Shop...

If I don't want to do a transfer at a Gun Shop is what I'm wondering about doing...

I think there's more than then just me wondering about this...

Thanks for the help...

David

I suppose you could do that. But how does the seller know you actually will do it? What information are you worried about someone seeing? You can fill out the form on your iPhone over cell service.

I suppose you could do that. But how does the seller know you actually will do it? What information are you worried about someone seeing? You can fill out the form on your iPhone over cell service.

I don't mind the Buyer/Seller seeing my info, that's a given...

I don't like transmitting that kind of info over a Open Wi-Fi Signal...

Do you have to do the E FA10 Face To Face or is it OK to do when you get home??? That's my biggest question...

I'll have to check with my Cell Company to see if the Wi-Fi Signal over them is safe... My phone is set to turn Wi-Fi on each time, I can change that for the time I need to do a E FA10 if I need to do it Face To Face...

Do you have to do the E FA10 Face To Face or is it OK to do when you get home??? That's my biggest question...

The statute mandates completion "prior to or at the point of sale"...

MGL 140-128A said:
...Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall, prior to or at the point of sale, be conducted over a real time web portal developed by the department of criminal justice information services. The department of criminal justice information services shall require each person selling or transferring a firearm, shotgun or rifle pursuant to this section to electronically provide, though the portal, such information as is determined to be necessary to verify the identification of the seller and purchaser and ensure that the sale or transfer complies with this section. Upon submission of the required information, the portal shall automatically review such information and display a message indicating whether the seller may proceed with the sale or transfer and shall provide any further instructions for the seller as determined to be necessary by the department of criminal justice information services. The department of criminal justice information services shall keep a record of any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section and shall provide the seller and purchaser with verification of such sale or transfer.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128A

ETA:

BTW, in a FTF transaction as you describe, you as the transferee are not required to report anything, it is the transferor's responsibility.

Last edited:
The system uses HTTPS which is encrypted, and yeah, it's not infalliable, but it's far from being "open". With serious buyers in play I've done plenty of them ahead of time (and printed out copies, etc) before going to the meet.

-Mike

The efa10 site is a secure site. Dont see the problem here...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The system uses HTTPS which is encrypted, and yeah, it's not infalliable, but it's far from being "open". With serious buyers in play I've done plenty of them ahead of time (and printed out copies, etc) before going to the meet.

-Mike

The statute mandates completion "prior to or at the point of sale"...

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128A

ETA:

BTW, in a FTF transaction as you describe, you as the transferee are not required to report anything, it is the transferor's responsibility.

Thanks, I keep forgetting to look at the State Website, it's so much easier to get questions answered here, and who knows it may help someone else out also...

The efa10 site is a secure site. Dont see the problem here...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

-Mike

Thanks guys, I thought even though you are on a secure sight if you are doing it over a open Wi-Fi connection that your info could still be gotten...

Like I said it's been years since I did a Face To Face so maybe I'll just do it at home or stay doing it through a Gun Shop if I'm out on the road... That way I don't have to worry about the 4 transactions, or has that been changed with the new E FA10 also??? I didn't see it listed anywhere in the state long winded wording...

And if your info is "gotten", who gives a f**k? You have to have ltc in hand.

Ya true, I'm thinking more like CC info, or bank info, but non of that type of info is given on the E FA10, I think seeing that I haven't done one... Or is it the same one that I would fill out at a Gun Shop if I was buying a Gun???

I tried looking at it online but it won't let you move through it unless you fill out the info...

Thanks

Thanks guys, I thought even though you are on a secure sight if you are doing it over a open Wi-Fi connection that your info could still be gotten...

It's not a trivial operation, the crypto probably isnt easily breakable, either. If someone had the resources to pull of an MITM type attack while using the EFA-10 site on me, then I have far bigger problems... faaaar bigger problems.

-Mike

-Mike

I did this too on the last one, did it online and emailed it to the buyer before the meet. I suppose it might be awkward if the deal falls through though.

Just do it after you get home, nobody reads this stuff anyway.

How's it going everyone? So i just want to be clear on something. Is a situation where i buy a rifle in a ftf transaction then the seller does the efa10 when he gets home then emails me the form after fine? I just want to make sure i'm not doing wrong here...

How's it going everyone? So i just want to be clear on something. Is a situation where i buy a rifle in a ftf transaction then the seller does the efa10 when he gets home then emails me the form after fine? I just want to make sure i'm not doing wrong here...
I believe Kevlars post above explains it.

Back
Top Bottom