Ear protection: A Question for the Northeastshooter Cogoscenti.

Plugs and muffs over them when firing our 12 gauge shotguns and center fire rifles. Plugs only when firing our .22 rimfire rifles. Nothing when firing our air rifles. Safety glasses at all times, regardless of weapon. When we introduced our little girls to firearms and firearm safety, the use of PPE was part of the lesson plan. Got everything at Lowes. Save 5% if you use a Lowes card.

I like my MSA Sordins with gel cups, or Pro Ears Gold.

I actually like the electronics of the pro ears gold better, but the build quality on the Sordins is better.

I just bought the Peltor 30nrr to replace the last ones that lasted 25 years. Can’t go wrong. Good piece of equip not to skimp on. Rock on...

Don't bleep around and get molded ear plugs that fit you and only you. They run $70-$100. When I'm not wearing them I'm a plugs and muff guy, plugs at the car and muffs at the range. Too many times people just blast one off without asking, with at least plugs in you wont get too hurt.

This is the kind of safety protocol you only appreciate when you hit your mid 50's. How many of you wear hearing protection while mowing and snow blowing?

I had a pair custom made by an audiologist that is a big shooter with her family. The plugs I have cancel out any discharge, but you can hear someone near you speaking perfectly fine. They also have an adjustable volume feature that I will use if I’m listening to someone several bays over (5-stand, clays), which I can then turn off and get back to shooting.

Not cheap, but my wife’s side of the family has a lot of auditory issues and everything is uber loud all the time. I’ve always had sensitive (albeit selective 😝) hearing that I’d like to keep as long as possible.

Last edited:
I run banded earplugs on the pistol range or a pair of peltor muffs alone most of the time. If I'm shooting a lot of loud or high pressure shit like hot .357/.44 mag or Rifle/shotgun I do disposable plugs under my peltor muffs, Unless I'm shooting or standing next to someone shooting my M107, then I will use disposable plugs under plain super dorky non-electronic 32nrr muffs. I go for max decibel reduction with that rifle because the concussion from the .50 bmg with the brake is literally felt in my chest, it can't be good for my ears. Running power equipment I use a set of the work tunes style muffs with bluetooth.

Do Bose noise cancelling QC35 headphones provide adequate protection?

Can't tell if this is a joke or not, but you'd most likely want to skip the Bose QC35's for range day unless you had no other choice and absolutely had to shoot for some reason. They just aren't designed with ear protection in mind. They will provide some level of direct and reflective sound reduction just by the sheer fact that they are muff/cup design. But because they are not designed with shooting guns in mind, the material composition and fit are not appropriate for true noise reduction. And the active noise cancellation will not handle something as dynamic and high SPL as gunshot. Active noise cancellation typically works best with lower, monotonous sounds like plane engine hum. It will do nothing for gunshot.

The range on that spec sheet appears to be 23-30dB NRR, depending on tip. Is there another model with 40dB?
If you look at the range with Skull Screws they are over 40db reduction in the 2-5k gunfire range. Check out this article on Sordins db reduction in gun fire frequencies. I also love my Sordins.

Last edited:
How much and what are you shooting?

For instance if I'm hunting and taking a few shots like deer or ducks, I'm using an AR or 12ga with no ear pro and its fine.

If I'm shooting out back with my family its usually just generic 3M plugs for 9mm and .223.

If I was going to be around .308 or larger, or around something stupid (-ly fun) like a cookie cutter on a 8.5 AR for a shooting session in close proximity I'd wear plugs and muffs.

If you're supper concerned about hearing or yoy shoot a LOT, just wear both of any type and call it a day.

Worrying about 3db is IMO absurd. Its the duration/frequency of exposure more than the db for shooting that will take a toll on your hearing. How many people fire up a two stroke motor on a yard implement and have zero concern about ear pro? You'll do more harm to yourself pushing a lawnmower or carrying a backpack leaf blower without earpro than wearing the shittiest pair of plugs or muffs to a range session.

This would be true if dB was a linear scale, but because it‘s log scale, that means 3dB has the potential to be seriously damaging as 41dB is twice is loud as 40dB.

I know how the db scale works. OSHA guidelines are:
permissible-noise-exposures.png

Gunshot volumes by caliber:
Screenshot_20200728-142032_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200728-142013_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200728-142001_Chrome.jpg

3db extra is not going to get you below 115db for even single instance exposure.

I.e. for 9mm you need at least 44db reduction for a single exposure. And 54db reduction for 1hr. You're not getting that from a single muff solution.

I.e. for 9mm you need at least 44db reduction for a single exposure. And 54db reduction for 1hr. You're not getting that from a single muff solution.
No but if your earmuffs are 30dB reduction and your earplugs are either 21 or 24dB reduction, that’s the difference between 30-60 minutes of exposure. I’m of the opinion that you should always try to squeeze out as much protection as you can, be it an extra 1dB or 10dB of reduction. No one has ever gone “oh shit, I wish I hadn’t had that extra protection.”

No but if your earmuffs are 30dB reduction and your earplugs are either 21 or 24dB reduction, that’s the difference between 30-60 minutes of exposure. I’m of the opinion that you should always try to squeeze out as much protection as you can, be it an extra 1dB or 10dB of reduction. No one has ever gone “oh shit, I wish I hadn’t had that extra protection.”

Ah I think we're crossing paths. I'm talking directly to the OP's question about 30NRR muffs only. If I were him I wouldn't hunt for 30 over 27. I'd just use whatever muffs were most comfortable and cheap and then add plugs. There are some muffs that simply aren't worth the extra money for 1-5db extra protection, especially when those options tend to be gigantic and uncomfortable (high tension).

Ah I think we're crossing paths. I'm talking directly to the OP's question about 30NRR muffs only. If I were him I wouldn't hunt for 30 over 27. I'd just use whatever muffs were most comfortable and cheap and then add plugs. There are some muffs that simply aren't worth the extra money for 1-5db extra protection, especially when those options tend to be gigantic and uncomfortable (high tension).
Oh in that sense I absolutely agree. It makes zero sense spending an extra $100 to get a few extra dB reduction when you can get much more with a $0.99 pair of foam ear plugs. But those few extra dB in protection are absolutely important, especially if you're spending the day at the range.

Back
Top Bottom