Early Finn Capture Mosin-Nagant??

Feral

NES Member
Picked up with along with the German Mauser - in tough shape.
Based on quick seach of 7.62x54r.net, this is an early Izhevsk Finn Capture??

It has copper rivet on handguard(damaged and need to be glued)and a pinned front barrel band.
Bolt and mag plate do not match receiver ser#.
Bolt lever is curved, not sure if this is a bubba job.

Any additional info or corrections welcomed.

View attachment 26557

Last edited:
Izhevsk, yes. Not a Cossack, but an M91. And not a Finn "capture", but likely a Finn purchase from France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, etc. after the Great War.

Bolt is a US Bubbafied bend.

Izhevsk, yes. Not a Cossack, but an M91. And not a Finn "capture", but likely a Finn purchase from France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, etc. after the Great War.

Bolt is a US Bubbafied bend.

What marking from other countries I should look for?

I got my information from here, maybe I am missing something or it is wrong?
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

The missing mark is the KA3 which would make it a Cossack IMO.

Also in the new Mosin Collectors book the bent bolt may not be a bubba after all. Some Finn bolts were bent , tough call however.
Either way the markings are really nice. You have a rifle made in the 1800 which in itself is a great find.

If you find it pleasing and interesting that's all that counts!!! Enjoy.

Last edited:
What marking from other countries I should look for?

I don't see any marks that would indicate what country it came from before Finland, but here is a link that shows known stamps. A good percentage of stamps found on Mosins are of unknown origins.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm

Most rifles that are considered as Finn Capture would be the late 1920's through mid 1940's guns that would have been taken during the Winter and Continuation Wars of 1939 and 1941-1944.

This rifle is in infantry length configuration, which is the M91 designation. A Cossack or Dragoon would be a few inches shorter, and is also considered an M91, but was issued for cavalry purposes.

Back
Top Bottom