Ease of doing a trigger job yourself on a 1911 style handgun.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Some weeks ago I picked up an old Llama MK VIII 1911 in 9mm in very good condition. I like these old all steel pistols. After a range day on Friday the gun is accurate but has a terrible trigger. I’d like to try and do a trigger job myself. For those that have done this kind of work, how hard was it? I can google the process, but it doesn’t usually say how hard it is or that you will need special tools.

Overall Llama followed the traditional 1911 pattern so I’m thinking I should be able to follow any 1911 video to get a description on what to do.

As a friend of mine says, what could possibly go wrong.

Lots of quality drop-in ignition sets are available from C&S, Harrison, and others.

To do it correctly you must do a lot more work then just the sear. If you are asking this question I would suggest you do a lot more research of what is involved before you cause yourself some real problems. Kitchen table gunsmithing has made many a unsafe gun.

To do it correctly you must do a lot more work then just the sear. If you are asking this question I would suggest you do a lot more research of what is involved before you cause yourself some real problems. Kitchen table gunsmithing has made many a unsafe gun.
Don't be a pussy watch one youtube vid drink 6 beers and try it

on a 1911...above my pay grade. but on a llama...no loss, if you f***ed it up, you could just toss it in the trash. and i can talk, owed one on the late 70's then i smartened up and bought real 1911's after that and not the copies made on worn out colt tooling.

on a 1911...above my pay grade. but on a llama...no loss, if you f***ed it up, you could just toss it in the trash. and i can talk, owed one on the late 70's then i smartened up and bought real 1911's after that and not the copies made on worn out colt tooling.
Llama frames are desirable though aren't they? Lot of custom 1911s start as llamas

Definitely going to take it slow and do it right.

That is another one that's big for customization according to the interwebs
i have seen wilson's was doing work on them but shit, $3k+ for a norinco? no thanks. i bought mine from my boss for under 100 bucks 25 years ago. nice shooter, still own it but i spent 250 on cerakote.

i have seen wilson's was doing work on them but shit, $3k+ for a norinco? no thanks. i bought mine from my boss for under 100 bucks 25 years ago. nice shooter, still own it but i spent 250 on cerakote.
Lol its not like Caspian frame worthy... but you swap every part it can be expensive

I have done a bunch. It is pretty easy with a jig and an understanding of how the parts interact. It is usually best to start with a new sear and hammer to make sure you are using decent parts that will last. I like the EGW stuff. Do some polishing work on the sear spring, disco and trigger. Change the hammer spring and top it off with a new long firing pin and you should be good.

Last edited:
That is another one that's big for customization according to the interwebs
It was a thing because tou could get a cheap base to work with and if it was fubar or you actually wear it out your still on the cheap side , much like all the sporters made through out the 40s-70s from surplus rifles.

that said . Detail strip it , check it out close. Sometimes all you need is a good cleaning and a little polishing to make decent changes .

im not up on the proper terms but there always seems to be crud and burrs in the trigger channel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom