• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ed Markey’s primary challenger calls for the repeal of the Second Amendment

mikeyp

NES Member
FFS I can't wait to get out of this state

Following the El Paso and Dayton shootings, Markey and other Democrats have called for the Republican-controlled Senate to take up gun control legislation passed earlier this year in the House of Representatives. However, despite recent mass shootings, Congress has not passed any significant bills aimed at addressing gun violence, due to opposition from Republicans, who have attributed the country’s high rates of gun violence to mental health and violent video games.

International comparisons suggest the number of mass shootings in the United States is due to the availability of firearms and the country’s loose gun laws.

Markey, for his part, has repeatedly introduced a bill to incentivize other states to adopt gun laws more like the stricter licensing standards in Massachusetts. And as a congressman in 1994, the Malden native also successfully urged President Bill Clinton to place an emergency ban on the importation of cheap, semi-automatic assault weapons from China, according to his website.

Liss-Riordan isn’t the only Democrat running against Markey. Framingham businessman Steve Pemberton announced last month that he is also running for Markey’s seat. Pemberton, whose dad was killed by gun violence, told the State House News Service that there should be “a serious discussion about abolishing” the Second Amendment, but that lawmakers should be focused on more attainable reforms, like universal background checks and assault-weapon bans.

“Abolishing the second amendment will take years at best to accomplish,” he told the wire service Tuesday. “We can’t wait for that.”

Shannon Liss-Riordan calls for repeal of the Second Amendment | Boston.com

In the wake of the two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, over the weekend, Sen. Ed Markey reiterated his calls for the Senate to pass “common-sense” legislation to address gun violence, such as universal background checks and bans on military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

One of his Democratic primary challengers, Shannon Liss-Riordan, thinks Congress should go further — and repeal the Second Amendment.

“I am tired of half steps, old ideas and fake urgency around the problem we face: the presence of guns in our communities,” Liss-Riordan said in a statement Tuesday morning. “Enough is enough. It is time we take real action and repeal the Second Amendment.”

The Brookline labor attorney, who launched a 2020 bid to unseat the 73-year-old Massachusetts senator in May, said she agreed with the late Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, who argued in a New York Times op-ed in 2018 that the Second Amendment should be repealed. According to Stevens, the concern about the potential threat posed by a national army that led to the adoption of the amendment, which states that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed,” was “a relic of the 18th century.”

“We need leaders in Washington who understand that, and have the courage and the will to fight to repeal the Second Amendment,” Liss-Riordan said.

Markey’s campaign did not (nor did his Senate office) immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

His website says he supports “universal background checks for all firearms sales, reinstituting the ban on assault weapons, making gun trafficking a federal crime, a prohibition against high capacity ammunition magazines, and closure of the loopholes surrounding the creation of undetectable, plastic guns.” It doesn’t list a position on the Second Amendment itself.

Repealing an amendment requires an even higher bar than a normal bill: two-thirds majority approval in the House and Senate, and ratification by 38 of the 50 states.

Last edited:
I wonder how a repeal of 2A polls in the people's republic of MA. In the 1976 a ballot question to ban handguns was defeated by over 70% of the voters. There weren't as many Rich liberals back then.

AK Eddie is getting nervous, that's why he's kissing AOC's ass. He's a white male and the New Progressives(Repressives) have no use for us even if we're leftists. He see's how Pressley took out his buddy Knuckles Capuano and he sees the writing on the wall.

Hmmm. What other Amendments should be repealed? 16th anyone?

I know, why don’t we go back and repeal the 19th. Women don’t NEED to vote, do they? Just like I don’t NEED a gun, right?

What about the civil war amendments? What makes slavery so bad, anyway? [/sarcasm]

All kidding aside, this guy is an idiot. The US Constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written along with the BOR.

It's become a Donk talking point. From here in the "Constitution State" [rofl] we have:
HARTFORD — A top Democratic lawmaker is exploring the possibility of bypassing Congress to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban military-style assault weapons.

House Majority Leader Matt Ritter, D-Hartford, on Tuesday announced he is investigating the process involved after the latest mass shootings in Ohio, Texas and California.

He said a state-led push may be the only means of breaking the impasse on the national level over reinstituting a countrywide prohibition on assault weapons.

A federal ban enacted in 1994 expired 10 years later.

Under the Constitution, two-thirds of the state legislatures can call a constitutional convention for the purpose of proposing amendments. It would take 34 states at this time.

“Mass shootings are not going away,” Ritter said. “I believe we have a better chance of getting 34 states to vote for this than we do passing a bill in Congress.”

Three-quarters of the states would have to ratify any amendment that a constitutional convention approved. State ratification is by either the legislature or a state convention; Congress determines the ratification method.

“We have seen an increasing number of Connecticut residents become frustrated with… federal inaction on this issue. Even advocates start to lose hope,” Ritter said. “It may be a tall order to get two-thirds of the states to call for a constitutional convention, but this may be just the rallying point we need to re-energize the debate and break the gridlock.”

I wonder how a repeal of 2A polls in the people's republic of MA. In the 1976 a ballot question to ban handguns was defeated by over 70% of the voters. There weren't as many Rich liberals back then.
My guess is at least 70% MS residents would support a repeal of 2A today.

I wish the whole country would come to their senses and vote out every incumbent on every election.
I've been doing it since Clinton term 2.
Granted, I've only ever been registered in MA and CA, so with my political leanings, my vote has had little chance of electing anybody.
I did have an R for my OC rep that I did vote for... Issa.
Voting for prez is tough, since I hated Bush, and Kerry, and Obama, and Romney, and that POW...

How was Pemberton's dad killed by "Gun Violence"?
His mother was a raging alcoholic and his father an amateur boxer and criminal.....armed robbery.......mugging.....got shot outside a bar in fall river in 1972. During the funeral someone broke in (rival criminal) the funeral parlor and poured lighter fluid on the body and lit it on fire.

the Malden native also successfully urged President Bill Clinton to place an emergency ban on the importation of cheap, semi-automatic assault weapons from China,

WHAT??? Did he fight hard to stop them pesky space-guns from Mars as well??? Without Markey and Clinton, our neighborhoods would be awash with cheap easy-to-acquire phase plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.

His mother was a raging alcoholic and his father an amateur boxer and criminal.....armed robbery.......mugging.....got shot outside a bar in fall river in 1972. During the funeral someone broke in (rival criminal) the funeral parlor and poured lighter fluid on the body and lit it on fire.
WOW! Talk about twisting the facts to suit your agenda.

Say when folks - confiscations or mandatory turn ins will yield violent resistance. I’m not sure if a reauthorization of 1994 wouldn’t get some kind violent resistance either.

They didn’t come knocking on doors. I’m thinking if you tried to Massify Texas or Arizona, there might be some problems and funny thing about little fires, they tend to get bigger quick.

that's not 'gun violence', that's street justice

that's not 'gun violence', that's street justice
In actuality it was violence.....that happened to be committed with a gun. Gun laws or not.....in 1972 that guy was gonna end up dead. Crims gonna crim

liss-riordan-loans-campaign-1-million-for-markey-challenge__800121_.jpg

In actuality it was violence.....that happened to be committed with a gun. Gun laws or not.....in 1972 that guy was gonna end up dead. Crims gonna crim

The way it is phrased, you half expect the father to have been a bystander or a store clerk during an armed robbery, a wrong place wrong time scenario, not a person who inflicted violence on others and met a violent end himself.

Back
Top Bottom