• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

**EDIT: CLOSURE!** Renewed LTC in Boston 5 months ago, still haven't heard anything, coming up on expiry

Him

License expired a Sept 15 but have a 90 day extension due to covid. I submitted all of my renewal paperwork in early July, paid the fee and everything. I still haven't heard anything. I have the receipt for payment, as well as scans of the originals. I've been trying to call and get in touch but nobody ever answers from Boston, it just rings and then rings to the Mass criminal justice, and they say I need to get in touch with Boston. I'm very very stressed about this. What can happen as a result of this? Is it possible for me to be without a valid LTC because the city hasn't renewed it?

Again, I have the receipt of payment for the application fee. I'm hanging all of my hopes on that currently.

Mine has been expired for 3 months.....welcome to the club. EDIT: not Boston but a green town....god only knows what happens in Boston.

Digital receipt I got in email from paying it online. Very clearly states it was for firearms licensing renewal, and has the same date as my application.

Is it the MIRCS filing receipt,
or just some canary sheet out of a desk clerk's multi-part money handling forms?
Digital receipt I got in email from paying it online. Very clearly states it was for firearms licensing renewal, and has the same date as my application.
Olde NES Wisdom is that MIRCS Receipts
include your prospective new LTC number.
Q1: Does your "receipt" have your new license number on it?

Q2: What is the outcome when you Generate Firearms License Validation for your old license/PIN at the MIRCS portal?

1607728840195.png

Here is the receipt I got from them, pertinent information redacted...

When I got Mass CJS and had them look it up they said it was expired and nothing was coming up as an application being in process. How do I generate the license validation?

FWIW when I was at BPD HQ getting fingerprints done a couple weeks ago they had LTC renewal applications available in the entrance breezeway. I believe there was also a lockbox to place the renewal applications in. I believe they are only open certain days during the week now. I was first in line to get in at 8:15am for the 8:30am official open and had to have my temp scanned by an EMT to get in who didn’t show up until 9:30..

Q1: Does your "receipt" have your new license number on it?
Well, we've addressed that question. [angry]
Which leaves us with:
Q2: What is the outcome when you Generate Firearms License Validation for your old license/PIN at the MIRCS portal?
(I'd intended to link to the portal in my reply,
but evidently I hadn't; I just added the hyperlink).

Last edited:
Those a**h***s didn't give you the DCJIS receipt.... you got to start pressing on them or applying pressure to get that f***ing thing once you get that receipt it doesn't matter how long the card takes....
BUT this puts me in the grace period, right? I’m worried about not having an active license while I have my firearms. I believe I only can’t carry and transport?
I would call the BPD LTC licensing officer Lieutenant detective Jack McDonough at 617.343.5234 or email at [email protected] and he should get you squared away
Thanks so much, I’ll get in touch with him ASAP.

ONLY the MIRCS receipt gives you the infinite grace period. There is no special grace period due to COVID. That receipt gives you nothing, sad to say.

Contact GOAL and Comm2A, and you should be a member of both, and let them know. You might get added to the current lawsuit.

Good luck.

ONLY the MIRCS receipt gives you the infinite grace period. There is no special grace period due to COVID. That receipt gives you nothing, sad to say.

Contact GOAL and Comm2A, and you should be a member of both, and let them know. You might get added to the current lawsuit.

Good luck.

Are you sure? I looked up the law and it said that as long as I applied prior to expiration of my license I’d have the grace period. I can prove that I apples 2 months before it expired.

Are you sure? I looked up the law and it said that as long as I applied prior to expiration of my license I’d have the grace period. I can prove that I apples 2 months before it expired.

A MIRCS receipt in your possession would be the proof of your application for renewal, thereby providing you with a grace period. Without it you have nothing to show.

I think it's arguable that his receipt hr has now would be enough to protect him... but..... BUT...

-I really wouldn't want to be in that position
Eannnnnd!: (insert steve ballmer hand flip accent gesticulation here)
-You're completely crippled in terms of buying shit without it. All or nearly all MA dealers (and most remotes) will treat you like you have ebola/covid AND aids without that CJIS receipt.....

I think it's arguable that his receipt hr has now would be enough to protect him... but..... BUT...

-I really wouldn't want to be in that position
Imagine a universe where Boston is willing to accept renewal forms any time,
but only type in the form data to the portal once every month or two.
And maybe they went on hiatus for Thanksgiving or something.

And imagine if OP's old license expired
before BPD lifted a cuticle to do the data entry.

All you have to do to find out whether you're screwed
versus just have to wait for the renewal to process,
is to enter your old license number and old PIN in that portal site.

I ask because I renewed in the middle of shutdown. At the time they were only accepting applications via mail or email. They had me pay the permit fee online and made a deal about saving the receipt, which I brilliantly did.

im not afraid of not being able to purchase anything at the moment, I’m just not trying to run afoul of the law.

I also don’t have a PIN, I have a fingerprint on file. Says it on my license.

Imagine a universe where Boston is willing to accept renewal forms any time,
but only type in the form data to the portal once every month or two.
And maybe they went on hiatus for Thanksgiving or something.

And imagine if OP's old license expired
before BPD lifted a cuticle to do the data entry.

All you have to do to find out whether you're screwed
versus just have to wait for the renewal to process,
is to enter your old license number and old PIN in that portal site.
Not always useful, i had my DCJIS receipt in hand and there was a window of time where my old # created an error. I think when your new LTC "goes hot" there is a window of time where the validation attempt will produce an error.

Doesn't really apply to OPs case but it is useful for renewers to know- if you have a DCJIS receipt don't panic if validation throws an error. I think it says "contact your issuing authority" or something like that. The reality is probably something like you are very close to getting your new license because the new one exists, somewhere....

Not always useful, i had my DCJIS receipt in hand and there was a window of time where my old # created an error. I think when your new LTC "goes hot" there is a window of time where the validation attempt will produce an error.

Doesn't really apply to OPs case but it is useful for renewers to know- if you have a DCJIS receipt don't panic if validation throws an error. I think it says "contact your issuing authority" or something like that. The reality is probably something like you are very close to getting your new license because the new one exists, somewhere....

Man do I hope this is there case. I am stress drinking here like woah.

Man do I hope this is there case. I am stress drinking here like woah.

Does it give that generic error saying contact issuing authority? Of course for all I know it could do that for every failure.

There's a SMALL possibility that they have your f***ing license and they're just camping on it. But you gotta find out one way or another. Although I would think that
if CJIS had issued a new one, they would have told you "your PD has the new license, talk to them". etc.

I can’t check because I don’t have a pin (that I’m aware of, I’ve never had to use one) the cjis lady said it came up expired and I needed to talk to BPD.

Absolutely; but only because I tripped over that fun factoid in another
thread doing research for this one. It's something like the window
between when the upvote leaves DCJIS,
and when the local PD prints the new license (or when they hand it over).

Once the new one is activated, your old LTC and PIN won't work if you are in the expired/grace period mode. FRB prints LTC and Mails it by Pony Express to the PD, PD sits on it for x time before sending it to you. PD has to activate it in MIRCS before it becomes valid for you.

UPDATE:

I, mere moments ago, received a very apologetic phone call from the licensing department. She explained they were inundated and it fell through the cracks. She immediately forwarded me my application and acknowledgement and is expediting my license. She did recommend that I hold off on carrying until my license arrives unless I absolutely have to (for work, as example). It wouldn't be illegal, just could potentially get a bit difficult. I don't disagree with her. She was very nice, and covid put a wrench in the works for everything ever. I don't have to worry about any legal mumbo jumbo, she assured me that everything is well in order. That's all I cared about, I'm not trying to get arrested.

Anyway, closure! Happy that I won't have to deal with this stress for another 6 years :). Thanks everyone for your help!

She did recommend that I hold off on carrying until my license arrives unless I absolutely have to (for work, as example). It wouldn't be illegal, just could potentially get a bit difficult.
Now this thread won't be complete until/unless
@Rob Boudrie writes a post containing the phrase "entrapment by estoppel".

With a MIRCS receipt (and only with that particular receipt), there is no risk. It clearly states at the bottom that it extends the LTC as if it hadn't expired until a new one is issued. The lady didn't know what she was talking about.

With a MIRCS receipt (and only with that particular receipt), there is no risk. It clearly states at the bottom that it extends the LTC as if it hadn't expired until a new one is issued. The lady didn't know what she was talking about.
Doesn't that require that the date on the MIRCS receipt is early enough? The OP's original license expired 9/15. A 90 day extension would get him to 12/14. If the clerk ran the MIRCS transaction on Friday, it would be dated 12/18, unless there's a way to backdate it in MIRCS.

Or am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom