EFA10, when did it become required?

Paper is still sufficient.

C.140 §128A now requires you to use the web portal for all sales and transfers:

"Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall, prior to or at the point of sale, be conducted over a real time web portal developed by the department of criminal justice information services."

C.140 §128A now requires you to use the web portal for all sales and transfers:

"Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall, prior to or at the point of sale, be conducted over a real time web portal developed by the department of criminal justice information services."

Unpossible, when issued LTC is paper.

WRT MGLs, there's also this: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

"(g) A license shall be in a standard form provided by the executive director of the criminal history systems board in a size and shape equivalent to that of a license to operate motor vehicles issued by the registry of motor vehicles ..."

I can assure you, that is not the case for those of us carrying a paper LTC. It's way larger than a driver's license. PITA to carry.

Two points:

(1) LTC's have been a plastic wallet-sized card for a good while.

(2) The OP's question was re the eFA-10, not an LTC.

My LTC has always been paper, and the current one was issued February of 2014.

My comment regarding the MGL, was in response to quoting of MGL gospel. Not specifically the E/FA10 or LTC, but the point that the MGL is not adhered to by the state.

(I just received some paper FA10s from the state, this week.)

Two points:

(1) LTC's have been a plastic wallet-sized card for a good while.

That's cute, but there are still some troglodyte towns where the PDs don't have modems and such and don't have MIRCS terminals, so they still do the licenses the old way. I think there are only about a handful of them left though. I'm going to make a WAG that CJIS probably issues those people a PIN at this point, there's nothing about a paper license that would prevent someone from issuing a PIN to it.

-Mike

Paper is still sufficient.

From mass.gov:

"The Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal replaces the E-FA-10 application. All firearms licensees and gun owners are required by law to report ALL private sales, transfers, and surrenders of firearms to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau via the Gun Portal. Paper FA-10 forms will no longer be accepted for these transaction types!"

From mass.gov:

"The Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal replaces the E-FA-10 application. All firearms licensees and gun owners are required by law to report ALL private sales, transfers, and surrenders of firearms to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau via the Gun Portal. Paper FA-10 forms will no longer be accepted for these transaction types!"
The state is non-compliant.

2a0261f44dc1f57db0a99a0eacd0110d.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if they still take paper (serialized, carboned FA-10s) in some circumstances.

I wonder if they allowed dealers to go back to paper temporarily when the system exploded on the day of the AGs verdict. (IIRC the MIRCS portal was down for a few hours).

-Mike

And I have no doubt they'll process them if you send them in. However, that doesn't mean you are protected by the letter of the law if you do.

That's why my communications with state agencies are conducted via .gov email. ;)

Best is when they send you the "locked" PDF file that you can only view once and never ever viewed by anyone else. Ever. I've done buys. I've done sells. I've used a multitude of machines and such. Never once have I had someone email me a EFA10 PDF that opened, nor could I re-open one of my own the next day or whatever.

?????

3/15/2015

Prior to this day, they were accepting only FA-10 paper forms that were serialized, rejecting any printed FA-10s from their website.
Prior to that, they were accepting a mixture of both FA-10 paper forms that were serialized and FA-10s that were printed from a PDF supplied on the mass.gov website without a serial number.
Prior to that they were accepting FA-10 paper forms that were printed from this PDF without a serial number printed on it, PDs were referring people to print them from the website.
Prior to that they might have only required what was then the law -- which then stated that the transfer had to be submitted in writing to the FLRB with certain things noted, such as make, model, serial, color, etc.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if they still take paper (serialized, carboned FA-10s) in some circumstances.

I wonder if they allowed dealers to go back to paper temporarily when the system exploded on the day of the AGs verdict. (IIRC the MIRCS portal was down for a few hours).

-Mike

Exactly! Serialized is the key though.

Back
Top Bottom