• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Elderly man shot, killed by officer performing welfare check

That sucks. [sad2]

If someone broke down my back door that time of night, I'd be inclined to greet them with a firearm too.
It doesn't matter if they yell "Police" first, anybody can yell anything, it could be a ruse.
If I didn't call them, then I shouldn't be expecting them.

That sucks. [sad2]

If someone broke down my back door that time of night, I'd be inclined to greet them with a firearm too.
It doesn't matter if they yell "Police" first, anybody can yell anything, it could be a ruse.
agree %100

Well that's a hell of a "welfare check".
He was alive and breathing when they arrived and dead when they left.
Outstanding police work all the way around. Who's getting some paid time off and a promotion?

****ing idiots !! Breaking and entering. Keep ringing the bell and knocking on the door ! no right to go in.

The guys dead but that poor dumb ass cop. Regardless of all the things he did wrong he didn't go to the old man's house planning to shoot him. He was doing a welfare check and the cop did what I would want him to do if he was at my 85 yo mother's house. I really don't know what led to him popping the old goat but I'm pretty sure he is not at his new desk doing fist pumps. Yes the cop is a moron but I doubt he's proud of his kill. By the way.. do we know how many shots he needed to put him down?? Hopefully not two to the body and one to the head..

That sucks. [sad2]

I too agree. Anyone comes into my house have exactly 1/2 second to put their hands up - anything else gets them carried out.

****ing idiots !! Breaking and entering. Keep ringing the bell and knocking on the door ! no right to go in.
Unfortunately, youre both right and wrong. Ive seen this too many ****ing times (without the shooting part)
The PDs are forced to go to this extent ( not the shooting part of course) on these ****ing H&W calls, often from unvetted callers.
Absolutely a shitty scenario on all points tho.

Here's an idea... get the police out of this "health and welfare check" business. You worried about somebody? Go ****ing check on the person yourself, or pay for a nurse to do so.

Police say they conducted a welfare check around 10 p.m. Saturday at a home on Mary Avenue in Gastonia after Allen's family, in Anson County, were Unable to reach him. Fearing he was in need of medical assistance, relatives asked for officers to check on him.

There's your problem. NEVER call the police to check on your family or friends just because you are worried. Get off your ass and do it yourself. Hell, I have people I don't like that I wouldn't curse with a police visit. Doing that to a family member is just beyond stupid.

How do you think that call back to the family went... "Well, we have good news and bad news... It seems he was just fine when we got there, but a now, not so much".

The whole situation is just sad.

I expect they broke in because they thought he might be dead. Turns out they were right.

Last edited:
I'm a bit torn. If relatives are telling the cops "yes, go check on him; do whatever you have to do to make sure he doesn't need help", I don't know where the blame really lies.

To all you people yelling "go check on him yourself!", think for one minute that not everyone has your exact situation. If his closest relative is across the country and doesn't know his neighbors, what then? So easy to criticize when your judgment is clouded by only your own experiences.

There's your problem. NEVER call the police to check on your family or friends just because you are worried. Get off your ass and do it yourself. Hell, I have people I don't like that I wouldn't curse with a police visit. Doing that to a family member is just beyond stupid.

Sometimes hard to do if you are across the country.

My Great Aunt had a good system. She and her neighbor would call each other every morning just to make sure they were both still alive. If one of them missed the call it was expected that they would call the cops because the other was most likely dead. Seemed gruesome at the time, but it makes sense in hindsight. Family living far away didn't need to get involved or worry.

I'm a bit torn. If relatives are telling the cops "yes, go check on him; do whatever you have to do to make sure he doesn't need help", I don't know where the blame really lies.

To all you people yelling "go check on him yourself!", think for one minute that not everyone has your exact situation. If his closest relative is across the country and doesn't know his neighbors, what then? So easy to criticize when your judgment is clouded by only your own experiences.

Blam! Right on the money!
I obviously wasnt there, but I bet the LEO could have done things a bit differently, and shooting the poor guy wasnt neccessary.
I personally have gone on dozens of these types of calls during my career, sometimes they end with finding out the subject is in the Bahamas for 2 weeks and just didnt feel like telling anyone, and sometimes they end with finding someone who has been dead so long that their 6 Siamese cats have eaten as much of her as they could, or someone dead long enough to have melted thru his mattress, box spring,carpet, subfloor, and ending up as a stain on the second floor residents ceiling.

sometimes they end with finding out the subject is in the Bahamas for 2 weeks and just didnt feel like telling anyone, and sometimes they end with finding someone who has been dead so long that their 6 Siamese cats have eaten as much of her as they could, or someone dead long enough to have melted thru his mattress, box spring,carpet, subfloor, and ending up as a stain on the second floor residents ceiling.

That's what keeps these guys in business:

Trauma_Clean.jpg

It's never a good thing when you see one of these vans parked on your street.

Welfare check at 10PM, on an old guy that probably goes to bed around dusk, and forced entry through the back door.

What could go wrong - yeah that.

The old guy had a gun? The same kind of gun the kid had that was playing WII and got shot?
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/02...police-was-holding-wii-video-game-controller/

Or maybe it was a golf club?
http://jonathanturley.org/2011/01/2...home-and-shot-and-kill-man-holding-golf-club/

Was the 'gun' taken in evidence? How many shots were fired? How long from shots fired to ambulance call?

I was reading the article comments and have one more question: How is that a relative, who doesn't live there, can waive the owner/occupants 4th Amendment Rights?

I get it, 'Wellness Check', he might have been hurt or ill, I get it. So if someone, anyone, calls in a 'Wellness Check' on me - this can get my door busted down at 10PM? Maybe that 1/2 second rule of mine should be changed to zero.......

Last edited:
The poor old guy was shot only because he didn't have a dog.

Police, serving and protecting the LIFE out of people.

A Society that depends on Government Agents to subsist in their day to day requires this to be acceptable. Which it is, to some.

Except that now the left will decry police brutality and overreach for doing what the Sheeple asked the Government Tyranny Enforcers to do. The irony.

All the cop had to do was to back out of the house instead of drawing and shooting. The 74-year-old guy was not the enemy. They knew that. It was a welfare check not a domestic call or drug bust.

The cops play the way they practice. Shoot first, ask questions later. Very discouraging to all of our future survival rates. [sad2]

All the cop had to do was to back out of the house instead of drawing and shooting. The 74-year-old guy was not the enemy. They knew that. It was a welfare check not a domestic call or drug bust.

The cops play the way they practice. Shoot first, ask questions later. Very discouraging to all of our future survival rates. [sad2]

But "He was challenged to lay the gun down," or so they say..... Man had every right to protect himself and his home. At 74 years old the guy probably was in bed at 7:00pm and is awaked by several jack booted thugs caving in his door at 10:00pm...No time to put on his glasses or put in his hearing aids........When the **** will this silliness stop... I know they would be looking down the business end of a firearm at my house.

since when did B&E become part of a wellness check?? I've been a part of one of these, the LEO's waited until I showed up with a key.

Back
Top Bottom