• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Elderly man shot, killed by officer performing welfare check

Oh, but they are "TROOPERS"

They sure are something thats for sure.

I noticed Pastera didnt answer my question of whod be held accountable in the event his dad passed if the cops didnt make entry.
That is why we will always make entry in these situations.

I think in the weather we've been having maybe the police could be called to do a wellness check. It's probably something they shouldn't be expected to do unless the circumstances are extreme as in 3 to 4 feet of snow on the ground and we are in a state of emergency.

So the guy didn't answer his phone...so what. Maybe he was taking a crap. Maybe he was outside. Maybe he just didn't' want to be disturbed late at night. Isn't it his right to have privacy no matter how old he is without his meddling kids calling the cops on him?

I know the guy shouldn't be dead but I also have no idea what the cop was facing. Some on here mentioned bad training to a bad attitude. Maybe so. But I think the issue started because of a lazy family member.

The cops should get out of the business of doing these checks and families should be required to set up their own support system and leave the cops to doing what cops should be doing. They shouldn't be babysitting your elderly parent(s).

I do not consider not answering a phone a right for someone to request that you lose your right to privacy.

As such, if that is the route we continue to take then I believe the police should only be allowed to do a wellness check between the hours of 9am to 5pm. If the guy is dead at 10 he'll still be dead in the morning.

Now this cop has to live with this death on his hands. Thanks lazy family members.

I think in the weather we've been having maybe the police could be called to do a wellness check. It's probably something they shouldn't be expected to do unless the circumstances are extreme as in 3 to 4 feet of snow on the ground and we are in a state of emergency.

So the guy didn't answer his phone...so what. Maybe he was taking a crap. Maybe he was outside. Maybe he just didn't' want to be disturbed late at night. Isn't it his right to have privacy no matter how old he is without his meddling kids calling the cops on him?

I know the guy shouldn't be dead but I also have no idea what the cop was facing. Some on here mentioned bad training to a bad attitude. Maybe so. But I think the issue started because of a lazy family member.

The cops should get out of the business of doing these checks and families should be required to set up their own support system and leave the cops to doing what cops should be doing. They shouldn't be babysitting your elderly parent(s).

I do not consider not answering a phone a right for someone to request that you lose your right to privacy.

As such, if that is the route we continue to take then I believe the police should only be allowed to do a wellness check between the hours of 9am to 5pm. If the guy is dead at 10 he'll still be dead in the morning.

Now this cop has to live with this death on his hands. Thanks lazy family members.

There is a lot of truth, here. The police shouldn't be in the welfare check business. A phone call of concern shouldn't be granting permission to enter MY house.

Agreed on all points. The problem is, this practice already exists, and isn't going away anytime soon.

Pastera, Im curious, had the cops not gained entry to your parents home after your mom called , and your dad passed because of that fact, who would you and your family hold accountable for your dads death?

No one and the subject hits a lot closer to home than is apparent.

Responders are just that, responders. They aren't miracle workers

4721]No one and the subject hits a lot closer to home than is apparent.

Responders are just that, responders. They aren't miracle workers[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, i appreciate the honest answer, and im sorry it didnt end well.

Back
Top Bottom