Electronic ears

I know there is a sticky on it, some newish info, but any recommendations would be great. Never used electronic, so not sure how they would compare, etc. Any info would be really appreciated, thanks

I have a set of the Howard Leight, but I still prefer my original Peltors.

Half the complaints about e-muffs are subjective, so YMMV.

I have the Howard Leight that Mr. Brownstone suggested. I've had them for three or so years and haven't replaced the batteries once. They still work great - I was at MFS over the weekend and someone was shooting a short barreled AK. Did a good job keeping the noise down from "deafening" to "extremely intrusive." :)

I have the Howard Leights too and they are good. I wanted more protection because my hearing is already bad so I worked a few extra hours and got some Pro Ear Gold electronic muffs with an NR33 rating.

Last edited:
In general, I'm a BIG fan of electronic muffs. They're a must have if you do any organized training, classes or competitions.

My first set I bought off the shelf at Four Seasons - I forget the brand, may have been Caldwell. They sucked, I returned them an bought the Radian Pro Amp.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F7R448...TF8&colid=3M30EADKW21HB&coliid=I3K5OEW26LM33D

They work well for the price, but only have 23dB of protection, and sometimes I need to double up with plugs. I still have both (I ended up buying 2 pair) 7+ years later, and they're regularly used by friends and students.

I upgraded to the Pro Ears Tac Slim Gold a few years ago, which have noticeably better protection (28dB) and include headphone jacks, but at 3x-4x the price, I'm not sure they were worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Lith...506509&sr=1-1&keywords=pro+ears+tac+slim+gold

Only other word of advice is to be sure to turn off the battery when you're done, otherwise they will drain really quickly.

I have the Howard Leights too and they are good. I wanted more protection because my hearing is already bad so I worked a few extra hours and got some Pro Ear Gold electronic muffs with an NR33 rating.

+1. I love mine. Too bad I got them too late; I am partially deaf from using inferior (less than 30 NRR) protection. I used to love my lightweight folding Peltor muffs, but the low NRR did my hearing in. Now I can't hear a hit on a steel plate without the aid of electronic muffs.

Back
Top Bottom