Electronic Safe Lock

I heard something interesting today. If there was an EMP/CMP event the electronic lock on a Safe would fried and could not be opened? It’s better to have a mechanical lock installed on your Safe.

Some have an access hole that allows someone in the know to run a fiber optic snake to some sort of mechanical release button on the inside of the keypad. Anyway this is what I was told my someone at a large volume safe retailer in MA.

Having said that, I prefer the mechanical locks.

I heard something interesting today. If there was an EMP/CMP event the electronic lock on a Safe would fried and could not be opened? It’s better to have a mechanical lock installed on your Safe.

There are several manufacturers which claim their electronic locks are EMP resistant. But non-nuclear EMP devices are tactical devices, and residential neighborhoods aren't likely targets. And if the nuclear balloon is about to go up, the stuff you need should be in hand rather than in a safe.

In a moderately low security solution such as the typical gun safe, a key bypass is okay. But if you are paying for a RSC Level 2 or higher rated box, then either pony up the extra money for an EMP resistant lock without a bypass or stick with a combination lock.

Mine recently failed on my Winchester from Tractor Supply after about 12 years. Talk about a panic, mother of god. Not being able to get into your safe has to be up there on the list of the most tense things to have to deal with. Replaced thanks to a thread here, still electronic though.

Depends on safe, grinder and metal cutting saw. if it was an emp event who cares. battery operated or off course. and or you have a generator for corded tools that you protect and have stored for EMP right, Right.
it would not take to long with a chisel and hammer if you really need in. unless you had a real safe

Back
Top Bottom