• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Emergency Generator sizing

My distrust meter goes way up when there is one of the those checklist style comparison charts that omits key data to tilt the scale. I notice "fule injection or carburated" is mjissing from the chart. Unless the Predator has fuel injection, is it deception by omission.

Repair/parts would be an issue, but if the MTBF is a decade or more, replacement is a viable option. You just need to make sure that replacement carbs are available. It is doubtful it would be cost effective to replace the inverter or engine in a generator at this price point.

My distrust meter goes way up when there is one of the those checklist style comparison charts that omits key data to tilt the scale. I notice "fule injection or carburated" is mjissing from the chart. Unless the Predator has fuel injection, is it deception by omission.
In our business we called them “shit lists” and they are always biased.

Much to my annoyance (as we own three Honda EU2000i, which are a grand each) Chsmpion and these Predator generators seem to hold up pretty well.

Looked at 240V inverters for our needs: there were not a lot of them. At the time, the Honda model (EU6500?) was carbureted and EFI is fairly new. It remains the only EFI model in that class. Running wattage is 5,500.

The second competing machine we looked at was the Yamaha EF6300, which is carbureted with electric start. Running wattage is 5500.

The other model we found was the then-new Briggs & Stratton Q6500. It was much less expensive, much lighter, but is pull start only, doesn’t have an easy way to lock it, and is only 5,000 running watts.

Power outages are extremely rare in Boston: one two hour outage since 1998 in my personal experience. So we opted for the least expensive option - it’s still less than $1,400. Only run it for break in and exercise thus far.

But this new model would have been an interesting choice for our occasional use. Have an HF pressure washer that has worked well and was half the price of our DeWalt/Simpson.

Last edited:
Quite a value here: 9500W inverter for $2,200.

Can't really see the value here vs the Champion 8750 open frame inverter that's $1000 less. I get the open frame vs not but for $1000 could build the taj mahal of generator housing for it.

Or better yet you could buy the Champion and then buy an EU2200i to have as a backup.

Amazon product ASIN B083V8VNGLView: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100520-8750-Watt/dp/B083V8VNGL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2L9XI1IHWWRJF&keywords=champion%2Binverter%2Bgenerator%2B8750&qid=1644111102&sprefix=champion%2Binverte%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-3&th=1

Can't really see the value here vs the Champion 8750 open frame inverter that's $1000 less. I get the open frame vs not but for $1000 could build the taj mahal of generator housing for it.

Or better yet you could buy the Champion and then buy an EU2200i to have as a backup.

Amazon product ASIN B083V8VNGLView: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100520-8750-Watt/dp/B083V8VNGL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2L9XI1IHWWRJF&keywords=champion%2Binverter%2Bgenerator%2B8750&qid=1644111102&sprefix=champion%2Binverte%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-3&th=1
18.5 vs 10.5 runtimes
I mean I get it it’s $1000 more but I know I’m out of the house longer than 10 1/2 hours when I leave to work so knowing it’s still running saves me from leaving work two hours early.
I’m lucky I only need 2800 watts here and my 5600/8600 watt runs for 12-14 hours on a tank
Everyone has different needs is what comes down to

18.5 vs 10.5 runtimes
I mean I get it it’s $1000 more but I know I’m out of the house longer than 10 1/2 hours when I leave to work so knowing it’s still running saves me from leaving work two hours early.
I’m lucky I only need 2800 watts here and my 5600/8600 watt runs for 12-14 hours on a tank
Everyone has different needs is what comes down to

Of course to each their own.

Personally if my generators running I'm not leaving my house, but that's just my situation. Even if I do have to leave it wouldn't be for more than an hour or two.

Back
Top Bottom