• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EMPTY/UNPRIMED/RIFLE BRASS

rewster

NES Member
How do the Mass laws treat non-residents bringing empty, unprimed rifle brass into the state ?

One thread is enough. The answer is the same.

Brass == ammunition components == ammunition. Unlicensed possession of ammunition is illegal.

There are tiny carveouts for hunters, competitors (and FFLs, I think) but they probably don't apply to you.

Sounds draconian, OP, but Mes is correct.

A few (or a few more) years back there was a story in the Metrowest Daily News, where a person was arrested for unlicensed possession of ammo, and it was a fired shotgun shell. Now, there were other people around (based on the article), and this seemed to be a "charge of opportunity" but it happened.

Real question is....why? If you're selling it to someone, can you ship it to them?

Sounds draconian, OP, but Mes is correct.

A few (or a few more) years back there was a story in the Metrowest Daily News, where a person was arrested for unlicensed possession of ammo, and it was a fired shotgun shell. Now, there were other people around (based on the article), and this seemed to be a "charge of opportunity" but it happened.

Real question is....why? If you're selling it to someone, can you ship it to them?
Shipping would have to be the option if the buyer was unwilling or unable to come to the border ! Of course, I could just have an illegal deliver it and, if caught, nothing would happen to them !! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help !!!!

Are there any storage rules for un-primed brass or empty shot shells just lying around my basement? Got buckets of em. Always wondered about that. None of that is secured as they say.

Are there any storage rules for un-primed brass or empty shot shells just lying around my basement? Got buckets of em. Always wondered about that. None of that is secured as they say.
There are not storage regs for those - the fire code regulation that requires ammunition to be locked up uses a different definition of ammunition than the MGL that makes possession without a license illegal.

MGL C140 S121

''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges."

vs.

527 CMR 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2)

"(2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black
powder stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet
or box when not in use as provided in Section 1.12.8.50. Small arms
ammunition, as used here, shall mean any shotgun, rifle, or pistol
cartridge and any cartridge or propellant actuated devices, excluding
military ammunition containing bursting charges or incendiary, tracer,
spotting, or pyrotechnic projectiles."

The MA fire code is based off the national NFPA 1 fire code, so it reads a bit saner than the definitions MA has come up with for law.

Hahahaha--reminds me of the time BEFORE I paid hundreds of dollars to get state approval to exercise my constitutional rights, I was at the town dump and saw an empty shotgun shell on the ground. Nearly reached down to pick it up in order to throw it into the compactor. Realized 1) Arrestable crime, and 2) US Constitution is a fukcing fairy tale.

Back
Top Bottom