End of an era - the CH-46.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Ospreys Replace Last Marine Squadron of Sea Knight 'Phrogs'

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. -- MV-22 Ospreys replaced the Marines' last squadron of CH-46E helicopters Thursday, officially ending the Sea Knight's 50-year run as the troop and supply transport workhorse of the Corps.

Anyone remember the sound of the EAPS system kicking in just prior to landing? At night it let you know you were getting close to the ground!

Last edited:
Osprey is an ugly bird. Always thought it was a political handjob to line somebody's pockets in greenbacks.

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.

I remember walking into a Chinook at Fort Campbell and noticing the hydraulic fluid dripping from the ceiling of the aircraft. I asked the chief, "Hey - is that OK?" He replied, "Hell, yes - it usually drips a whole lot more than that!"

I also saw the first Osprey prototypes being tested in 1985 while making a BX stop at Quantico. I remember laughing at the time and saying "they've got to be kidding."

Folks, the CH-46 isn't a Chinook. CH-46:

ch-46_05_of_29.jpg

CH-47 Chinook:

CH-47F_at_NTC_2008.jpg

The CH-46 was only used by the Marines and is much smaller than the Chinook.

Some of them are getting a new life:
http://fireaviation.com/2015/04/13/sky-aviations-ch-46e/
Sky Aviation, based in Worland, Wyoming, posted this message June 24, 2014 on their Facebook page:

Sky Aviation purchased four CH-46 helicopters and this week, we are taking official possession of them in Tucson! Stay tuned for pictures. At least one will be transformed immediately into civilian paint. We are hoping to support both fire fighting and construction with our Phrogs.

In June 2014 they flew one of them to Sabreliner Aviation in Perryville, Missouri to begin the demilitarization of the aircraft.
1506718_944891452217367_7501965806479832839_n.jpg

I will be attending the final flight in Aug with some of my compadres. I logged over 2000 hours in the back of a Phrog and at least a few dozen in the front of one, none were younger than I. I also crewed 53D models in the reserves at Willow Grove. The State Department now owns a ton of Phrogs and is looking for crew and maint personnel to keep them flying. The last Phrog pilot STILL hasn't been born yet, I suspect.

http://airandspace.si.edu/events/detail.cfm?id=16176

PHROG 153369 Farewell:
The purpose of the 1 Aug ceremony is to remember and honor all those who served in, on and around the CH-46 during its 50+ years of service, from Vietnam to Grenada, Desert Shield/Storm, OIF/OEF, as well as countless other instances to include non-combatant evacuations, humanitarian assistance/disaster relief, and other operations. The ceremony will call out specific instances throughout the Phrog's history, and in doing so, honor all who were involved. Of particular significance, YK-19, Bureau Number 153369, was one of the aircraft that 1st Lieutenant J. Patrick Donovan, flew as a Purple Fox when he won his second Navy Cross for his actions of valor in Vietnam. Pat Donovan, now a Federal Judge, is the most decorated Marine Aviator of the Vietnam era and has been an inspiration for Marines and their families for many years.
153369 has served with a number of squadrons. Many of those squadrons will be represented on 1 Aug. It is currently with HMM-164, where it was transferred after 364's reflag to VMM. In April, before 164 reflags to VMM, the aircraft will be flown and transferred to HMM-774 in Norfolk, VA. HMM-774, as the last remaining CH-46 squadron, will conduct the last flight, so the aircraft will bear 774 markings. Once stricken from the inventory and in the hands of the museum curators, the aircraft will be returned to HMM-364 markings in preparation for its display on the museum floor.
National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico Reception:
The reception on Friday, 31 July will be held at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA from approximately 1800-2100 (exact time is TBD but will be close to this). In the next few weeks there will be much more information coming via email, the National Air and Space website and social media (Facebook, etc). HQMC's 'last flight' team is working hard to put together this event and is looking forward to getting the word out to all interested parties
Smithsonian Institution - National Air and Space Museum Fly-In 1 Aug:
Saturday, 1 August 12:00 pm Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA outside the Boeing Aviation Hangar.
The Smithsonian Institution - National Air and Space Museum Saturday greatly appreciates the widespread interest from all who were involved in and touched by the CH-46 over the years and look forward to hosting all who attend. Visitors coming to the museum specifically for the fly in ceremony will be given preferred access to the aircraft at the conclusion of the ceremony and before they are available to the general public for static display. Concurrent with the fly in and ceremony, The National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center will be hosting an annual family day event with additional programs and displays inside the museum. The current estimate is that over the course of the day between family day and the CH-46 event there will be between 10,000 - 13,000 visitors at the museum. http://airandspace.si.edu/events/detail.cfm?id=16176
The Marine Barracks 8th & I band and color guard will also be there in support of this event.
Your interest in this two day event is greatly appreciated. HQMC and the Smithsonian Institution - National Air and Space Museum will be rolling out the details and registration information at a later date.

The other day I was remembering all of the things I did in the back of a '46; fast rope, rappel, SPIE, helo cast, deploy/recover small boats, parachute, walk/run/slip, sleep.

Those tandem rotors really have a unique and distinguishing sound as they are approaching to pick you up.

I logged over 2000 hours in the back of a Phrog...

Ever play a practical joke on the Grunts in the back using the hydraulic hand pump near the ramp?

There was one parked on our airfield the other day, I think it's still flying. It might be the one they're saving for the final flight.

The 46 guys used to say they were always trying to twist themselves in half. I always said a little prayer before I got on one.

There was one parked on our airfield the other day, I think it's still flying. It might be the one they're saving for the final flight.

I thought it was neat that they are keeping one with so much history behind it:

Of particular significance, YK-19, Bureau Number 153369, was one of the aircraft that 1st Lieutenant J. Patrick Donovan, flew as a Purple Fox when he won his second Navy Cross for his actions of valor in Vietnam.

The 46 guys used to say they were always trying to twist themselves in half. I always said a little prayer before I got on one.

I recall a crew chief mentioning that and also remember a few times landing, lifting off again for a moment and then setting back down. Maybe to get the rotors in sync?

Although not a '46, this other tandem rotor aircraft seems to have some issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall a crew chief mentioning that and also remember a few times landing, lifting off again for a moment and then setting back down. Maybe to get the rotors in sync?

If the front and rear rotors were out of sync, you would have known it, albeit possibly for only a brief moment before you died. The front and rear rotors overlap, so if they get out of sync, they hit each other. Then what's left of what used to be a helicopter makes like a homesick rock.

OK, so maybe my use of "in sync" wasn't a correct term.

So what causes the aircraft to start "bouncing" around as in the video above?

Last edited:
My ops chief used to refer to these things as "crowd killers" and though he'd been at Chosin with the 1st Marines he would go to any length to avoid a hop in one.

Nothing caused me more acid burps then flying out of trim in a 46. Going forward and sideways at the same time made me sick! Eric Prince will buy whats left and add to his fleet of relics lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Good Ole Sh!thook. Great platform.
Easy way to distinguish between the two, Chinook has quad gear, 46 has trike. Oh plus the 46 will say MARINES on it lol.

Interesting - never felt it in a UH-1, UH-60 or CH-53.

Can't happen in a UH-1 -- it has two-bladed teetering rotor. It takes a rotor with 3 or more blades. From what little I've read, it seems like it might be more common with 3 rotors than with more than 3. But I don't claim to understand it.

UH-60 has 4 blades. CH-53 has 7.

Can't happen in a UH-1 -- it has two-bladed teetering rotor. It takes a rotor with 3 or more blades. From what little I've read, it seems like it might be more common with 3 rotors than with more than 3. But I don't claim to understand it.

UH-60 has 4 blades. CH-53 has 7.
The UH -1s are rocking 4 now too

Just saw a pair of these flying over the south shore maybe an hour ago. My 2 year old was in heaven watching them fly by.

I remember walking into a Chinook at Fort Campbell and noticing the hydraulic fluid dripping from the ceiling of the aircraft. I asked the chief, "Hey - is that OK?" He replied, "Hell, yes - it usually drips a whole lot more than that!"

I also saw the first Osprey prototypes being tested in 1985 while making a BX stop at Quantico. I remember laughing at the time and saying "they've got to be kidding."

When they stop leaking, it means they are out of fluid, or so the "joke" goes.

When they stop leaking, it means they are out of fluid, or so the "joke" goes.

The other classic joke.....

" Hey, how far will this thing fly on just one engine? "
" Oh, itll make it right to the crash site!"

The other day I was remembering all of the things I did in the back of a '46; fast rope, rappel, SPIE, helo cast, deploy/recover small boats, parachute, walk/run/slip, sleep.

Those tandem rotors really have a unique and distinguishing sound as they are approaching to pick you up.

Ever play a practical joke on the Grunts in the back using the hydraulic hand pump near the ramp?

Of course. And that's not the only one either. Every try to pop start a Phrog?

- - - Updated - - -

Folks, the CH-46 isn't a Chinook. CH-46:

ch-46_05_of_29.jpg

The CH-46 was only used by the Marines and is much smaller than the Chinook.

My old squadron HMM-261. Call sign Elvis. My BUNO was 6421.

My son was a crew chief on the sea night for a long while including 3 tours in Iraq. He transitioned to the Osprey a few years ago. He doesn't talk about them much. I don't think he cares much for them. His squadron lost a bird and crew chief in the crash in Hawaii in the spring. He talked up the skill of the crew on board but gave no defense to the plane.

Back
Top Bottom