• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enfield No4 mk2 wider front sight b!ade

mac1911

NES Member
Took the enfield out goday and its been some time since i shot it last. My eyes are not liking the thin front sight.

Anyone know a source of a wider front sight blade.

I'd imagine all the usual places, Numrich, eBay etc..

You stumped me though... a No4 mK2? I thought it was a typo but I briefly looked it up and sure enough....

Whats the difference in the mK2 and mK1?

do you know it the sight blades are interchangeable with earlier Enfields? If so I have a box of various sight blades you can have, maybe one of them will work for you?

I'd imagine all the usual places, Numrich, eBay etc..

You stumped me though... a No4 mK2? I thought it was a typo but I briefly looked it up and sure enough....

Whats the difference in the mK2 and mK1?

do you know it the sight blades are interchangeable with earlier Enfields? If so I have a box of various sight blades you can have, maybe one of them will work for you?
I am not finding much in the way of a wider front sight.

I cant tell you the differences other than the trigger is part of the reciever vs in the stock and it has a adjustable elevation rear sight?

Last edited:
You won't find them wider only in taller or shorter. I measured both MkI and MkII like these new '53 and '54 rifles from the shed.

oY1h3XG.jpg

If you wear glasses there are small iris stick on's that help or talk to your eye doctor.

Good luck.

You won't find them wider only in taller or shorter. I measured both MkI and MkII like these new '53 and '54 rifles from the shed.

oY1h3XG.jpg

If you wear glasses there are small iris stick on's that help or talk to your eye doctor.

Good luck.
thanks this is my little piece, as far as i can tell its all matching. It took some work to get it running. Feed lips where all bent to shit, replaced some bolt/extractor/ejector parts and a few missing screws.
Qqo9Yn3l.jpg

I already wear glasses and have appointment coming up. I have a Rx for shooting while it helps me see the front sight better this one is still thin! I need one like my 1903a3 .100" USMC telephone pole front sight!

Checked S&S and no go. They have a wide '03 sight for about half the price as Bentz. LOL, I put a telephone pole width & taller front sight on my K31. Bought it direct from Swiss Rifle Forums Guisan's widow. She still sells the parts he had stocked up.

Maybe apply some JB Weld and file square? Good luck with the search.

You could have one made by a competent smith, machinist, or 3D printer. A dab of paint on the sight blade also helps the eyes.

You could have one made by a competent smith, machinist, or 3D printer. A dab of paint on the sight blade also helps the eyes.
Yes but finding them and actually getting them to do it is the challenge. Don’t know anyone with a 3D printer yet. Paint might help me locate the front sight quicker but it will do little for lack of focus

There are technical drawings for Enfield rifles from patents and the Royal Ordinance Factories in books and the internet with dimensions to hundredths of an inch which can be used to draw a 3D model which can be printed. Otherwise it's calipers and a sketch, or 3d scanner, followed by digital model and printing. You could also do a mold, rough cast brass in the mold, and file by hand to size.

Let me check Skennerton's book.

UK companies at one point made them:
No4-Foresight-Set-Mk3-640x640.jpg

Last edited:
There are technical drawings for Enfield rifles from patents and the Royal Ordinance Factories in books and the internet with dimensions to hundredths of an inch which can be used to draw a 3D model which can be printed. Otherwise it's calipers and a sketch, or 3d scanner, followed by digital model and printing. You could also do a mold, rough cast brass in the mold, and file by hand to size.

Let me check Skennerton's book.

UK companies at one point made them:
No4-Foresight-Set-Mk3-640x640.jpg
thank you , I have not found the actual "blueprints" for the front sight. I know they make and sell replacements but I want a Wider not Taller/Shorter front sight.

A little better, I’m just going to have to pull it and draft it the best i can.

If you give me caliper measurements on that drawing I can put it into CAD and also create a 3d solid model for you to the specified dimensions which could be 3d printed. My vision isn't that great and I'm thinking of having a brass one made myself.

If you give me caliper measurements on that drawing I can put it into CAD and also create a 3d solid model for you to the specified dimensions which could be 3d printed. My vision isn't that great and I'm thinking of having a brass one made myself.
cool it may be a few days im dead in the middle of some room rehab

Drawing1-Model.jpg
This is a guess tracing the drawing, but without any dimensions other than the post width, I'd need caliper measurements to make it right. Really hard to get anything right in a game of hundredths from a poorly scanned hand drawing with only one dimension given.

View attachment 241367
This is a guess tracing the drawing, but without any dimensions other than the post width, I'd need caliper measurements to make it right. Really hard to get anything right in a game of hundredths from a poorly scanned hand drawing with only one dimension given.
I hope you mean thousandths... :cool: Maybe I'll just pull my sight and measure it then order the appropriate dovetail mill and whip one up.

Back
Top Bottom