EoTech 512 vs. XPS2

Any of you guys owned both of these at any point in time? Looking at picking one up, but can't make up my mind on 512 vs. XPS2. I know the XPS2 runs about $50 more, is smaller, etc. but wanted some practical feedback on function. This would be going on an AR style rifle.

Thanks for the feedback.

Those sights use the same size glass, same reticle - so the only differences are the secondary details.

512 - larger & heavier, cheaper, common battery, longer battery life

XPS-2 - smaller & lighter, more $$, less common battery, shorter battery life

So, either one. The 512 longer battery life only applies if you use lithium AAs, so there's not much cost difference in feeding it batteries.

I considered both, but decided that the money was better spent elsewhere and went with a Primary Arms red dot. I do like the 512 better, though. Cheaper batteries do it for me.

Another thing to consider, the longer length of the 512 makes it tough to mount a magnifier behind it, if you ever want to do that. Bridging the receiver rail and the handguard rail is not ideal.

This will actually be going on an LMT monolithic rail, so no gap to worry about. But I hadn't taken that into consideration, thanks for pointing it out. May be an issue if I mount it on another gun.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have the xps2, I love it. The 512 takes up a ton of rail space, often making the use of a magnifier annoying or impossible on some rail sets. I have the Primary Arms package (XPS2-2 with 3x Long Eye Relief Magnifier on flip mount) best deal out there and it couldn't get much better IMO.

Whatever you choose would certainly look great on a Sig556, which I happen to be selling. Link below.

I have used both -- I own a 512, and my old roommate had an XPS-2

I bought the 512 because it's cheaper, and uses AA batteries. I have standardized on AA batteries for everything I can (flashlights, DSLR stuff, etc.. I use Sanyo Eneloops). If you need to save rail space, or want side mounted buttons so you can turn the reticle on/off without flipping the magnifier to the side, get the XPS-2.

i have an xps3, and have shot an ar with the 512. good move going with the xps2, the lower profile and less weight will make up for the $50

Back
Top Bottom