EoTech

My eotech crapped out. It won't turn on, tried a few sets of batteries to no avail. I sent in an RMA request to eotech so I can send it in for repair. It came on an AR45 I bought so I'm not the original purchaser.

When I was googlin, I see there was a buyback on eotech? Is that still going on? Is there any home remedies I can try?

I like the optic enough, battery life absolutely blows, but that could have been from whatever problem it was having that led to it just not working though.

Anyone deal with EoTech warranty/repair?

Any ideas?

Uhm I'd use it as a kitchen drawer hammer/object to beat on stuff with and buy a better red dot. If you have money to blow buy an Aimpoint. Get a Holosun or Sig Romeo if your on a budget.

Eotech is absolute garbage, I've only ever had one that I basically got for free and it died while it was being used on a ruger 10/22 lol

Last edited:
Uhm I'd use it as a kitchen drawer hammer/object to beat on stuff with and buy a better red dot. If you have money to blow buy an Aimpoint. Get a Holosun or Sig Romeo if your on a budget.

Eotech is absolute garbage, I've only ever had one that I basically got for free and it died while it was being used on a ruger 10/22 lol
All my other red dots are AimPoint PROs. I love the battery life and the torque knob on them, and they just damn work. This came on a pistol, only reason I have it. I had always heard EoTech was the shit, but I'm not terribly happy with them.

All my other red dots are AimPoint PROs. I love the battery life and the torque knob on them, and they just damn work. This came on a pistol, only reason I have it. I had always heard EoTech was the shit, but I'm not terribly happy with them.
Eotech is literally the reason backup iron sights are even a thing. Ask anyone that was in the sandbox with one, they are junk.

What model Eotech? The xps 2 &
3 seem to be more reliable due to the battery position. The 512 for example has issues with the contacts under recoil

Contacts likely need replacing. Was common on older Eotech 511/12’s. You can order a replacement kit for a DIYS repair at little cost or send it in.

I’ve had Aimpoimts and Eotechs and prefer the Eotechs. Sold my Aimpoints and I don’t regreat it. More useful reticle if you know how to use it. Better optic with a magnifier for carbines, etc. For RDS on a pistol, I have Trijicon. For what it does, Aimpoints are overpriced and other than their micro RDS, too bulky by far.

Last edited:
The advantage of Aimpoint is higher durability and reliability, longer battery life and no auto shut off

Eotech is literally the reason backup iron sights are even a thing. Ask anyone that was in the sandbox with one, they are junk.
I’ve been in the sandbox with an EOTech and it did its job well, still here to mention it. I think it’s a great optic if you get a good one and I still prefer the reticle over red dots and other reflex sites.

There is no denying that their quality control has left a lot to be desired and has tarnished their reputation. They have also done very little to combat the fakes that have flooded the market, so when it comes to spending hard earned money there are better buys for sure. Sad really, as they seem still to be relying on that previous reputation to function as a company.

I had a EOTech with a manufacturing defect about ten years ago, the silicone rubber adhesive they used on an internal mirror mount
had not set, it was like gluey and kind of still liquid, and the mirror slowly slid off. I think they must have mixed up a bad batch of that adhesive or something.

However, when I reported it, I spoke to someone there, and they sent me a new one , they didn't even want the old one back, so their customer service was really good ( or they had gotten a bunch of similar complaints from that production run I'm guessing)

The advantage of Aimpoint is higher durability and reliability, longer battery life and no auto shut off
Meh. Batteries fail. Electronics fail. Aimpoints aren’t perfect. That’s why we have BUIS. A red dot on a handgun makes sense: point, shoot, all close range and fast reaction. Works better than irons with a bit of practice.

On a carbine? Not a fan. Too many situations where the Eotech shines over the Aimpoint. Hell, if I want reliability first, I go Trijicon, no batteries. Again, not saying there is anything wrong choosing Aimpoints, I just don’t see it for a multi-purpose carbine that may be used from 10-500 yards. Bulky, expensive, too large a dot to be used at magnification, no BDC or range estimation, etc. YMMV.

Think of it like this: An Aimpoint is like a pocket knife... it cuts well and when you need a knife, it makes sense. An Eotech is like a Leatherman. Has a knife and a whole lot more utility to boot. I always carried a Leatherman...

Last edited:
OP, what version of Eotech is it?

They had a rocky start with their inline battery models, but have had more than a decade of reliable service, particularly in USSOCOM where they saw use in raid after raid, multiple times a day/night...for more than 10 years. You’re still operating under really old information. I had a similar opinion as you... back before 2010.

Personally, I only like an Eotech for duty guns when I can easily frequently replace batteries before use. For home guns, I go Aimpoint/Holosun, but Eotechs have been far from garbage for a long time. Their one downside is battery life.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget about Eotech's major poi shift under temperature changes that they lied about. They bought back tens of thousands of sights. The lie was worse than the shift

Last edited:
Let’s not forget about Eotech's major poi shift under temperature changes that they lied about. They bought back tens of thousands of sights. The lie was worse than the shift
Actually, every red dot, including Aimpoint and Trijicon MRO have thermal drift issues that affect POI at temperature extremes. I agree L3 should have owned up to it sooner and should have fixed a few other issues sooner, but lets not kid ourselves that thermal drift only impacts Eotechs.

Not scientific at all, but I thought this write up was pretty funny: High-End Optics Torture Test [Trijicon, EOTech, Aimpoint, Sig Sauer] - Pew Pew Tactical

The Aimpoint and Trijicon MRO both failed the drop test, by the way...

Last edited:
Looked at Aimpoint and EOTech before I went with the EOTech EXPS2 Green on my AR. Has performed perfectly over the last two years. No quality issues. Original battery still going strong. Green reticle is fantastic. Consistent hits on 6" steel at 100 yards offhand.

Last edited:
Here's the optic.

Got an email back from eotech, they said there's no available service for my model and provided a link for some replacement parts. Kinda shitty IMOrps20210413_083739.jpg

I’m surprised there are even replacement parts. It looks like a model discontinued over 5 years ago. Time to upgrade to an xps! You can convince yourself that it will pay for itself in battery savings.

Here's the optic.

Got an email back from eotech, they said there's no available service for my model and provided a link for some replacement parts. Kinda shitty IMOView attachment 471907
That sucks. That version is an old one with inline batteries and had issues with the contacts. The recoil of the gun would cause the batteries to move forward and backward, causing the battery contact problems. That’s why they went with perpendicular battery layouts, which they currently use.

Hopefully your problem can be fixed by sorting out the battery contacts inside. Maybe they lost some of their spring tension.

Yep. The coverup is worse than the crime.

I still have an Eotech 512 (and a Holosun 510c). I prefer them to tube style red dots by a lot.

That sucks. That version is an old one with inline batteries and had issues with the contacts. The recoil of the gun would cause the batteries to move forward and backward, causing the battery contact problems. That’s why they went with perpendicular battery layouts, which they currently use.

Hopefully your problem can be fixed by sorting out the battery contacts inside. Maybe they lost some of their spring tension.

A few companies make a fix for this issue. Plastic reinforced contact springs that offer less compression upon recoil, so less likely to lose contact pressure. Would have to buy this, so OP should see what EOtech says first, but it would be a relatively cheap test if they come back and don't offer assistance.

p_100008122_3.jpg

A few companies make a fix for this issue. Plastic reinforced contact springs that offer less compression upon recoil, so less likely to lose contact pressure. Would have to buy this, so OP should see what EOtech says first, but it would be a relatively cheap test if they come back and don't offer assistance.

View attachment 472037
Got a link to that? EOTECH emailed me back and basically said they won't work on it, but provided a link for repair parts. The repair parts were out of stock.

Can anyone tell me what model it is? There's a serial number on the bottom but no model listing anywhere on it.

Got a link to that? EOTECH emailed me back and basically said they won't work on it, but provided a link for repair parts. The repair parts were out of stock.
Might have to Google the hell out of it, as most of the big companies (Optics Platnet, Brownells, etc) appear to be out of stock because the versions they fix are really old now. Just Google "Eotech Fix Part". Hit the image tab in the results and go through pages to see what's in stock, where.

Edited to say: This is still a guess. You could pop this in and it still might not work if it ends up being a circuit issue. But I'm assuming these are still cheap, if you can find one in stock somewhere.

Can anyone tell me what model it is? There's a serial number on the bottom but no model listing anywhere on it.
Should be either a model 553 or 516. If the contact replacement doesn’t fix it then it’s probably trash now.

Posted: April 23, 2021

Tags: financing, company news
Ann Arbor, MI (April, 23 2021) – I’ve been asked to write a press release on EOTECH’s new offering of a consumer financing option on their website. Boring. It couldn’t be something cool like a new scope, or a new technology they discovered. Nope. It’s gotta be financing. Ugh. Alright. Whatever. Here it goes.
So, financing. I guess it’s kinda cool. I mean it is another alternative to high interest credit cards. Oh, and it is easy to apply for and in seconds provides instantaneous approval for immediate purchases on the EOTECH website. And it does break down expensive purchases into more manageable payments to hide from your significant other, so that’s pretty cool too.
Hmmmm. Let’s see. What else. EOTECH did set a goal to be industry leaders in customer and consumer service. Adding another convenient payment option that doesn’t impact consumer’s credit scores but in fact may help boost scores with on-time payments, definitely checks that box.
I was told to add a quote. Ok. Here is what the lady that worked on this said.
“Historically, under Big Corp, EOTECH was known to be difficult to work with. Since the divestiture, the new ownership and leadership team has set a goal to become industry leaders in customer service, at all levels. Our relationship with Credova offers consumers interested in purchasing EOTECH products another payment option and convenience.” Said Lisa Kemp, Director of Marketing. “Our products are not inexpensive, so offering an alternative to high interest credit cards may make the purchase process easier, more manageable, as well as address a customer who may not have purchased otherwise.”
Oh yeah, here is another thing. The financing firm EOTECH partnered with is Credova®. They have been around for years and offer several financing solutions, a seamless approval process for the consumer, have an approval rating around 80% and they take on the risk of repayment from the manufacturer. But what is really cool is that they are proud supporters of the firearms industry and 2A community.
So anyway, if you want to check it out, the Credova financing option is live on EOTECH’s newly launched website. There. Done. I guess it’s not as boring as I thought. Right. Who am I kidding?
Now, I gotta go find some coffee.

Back
Top Bottom