• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Estate Planning: Who are you leaving your guns too? What is you have no one to leave them too?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So the wife and I are starting our estate planning and the question came up as to what I'm going to do with my collection of guns and ammo.... Actually I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. We don't have any kids and nobody in our extended family is all that interested in firearms. I guess options are to leave them to my local gun club, GOAL or sell the entire collection before I die. The selling thing seem sacrilegious to me so I probably will not be doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure my death will be sudden and younger then I would hope. Need to come up with a plan just don't know what that plan will be.

So I know many here will say "Leave them to me!!!". [wink] So who are you leaving your guns too? Do any go to something/someone other then family?

Thanks

Kids and grandkids.
Although that could be problematic because they are free state guns but Mass residents and I don't see that changing.

I'm pretty young.

Currently all my firearms are in a trust I hold with my significant other.
When I die, she knows she needs to find a new trustee for the trust. Some of the firearms in the trust are "earmarked" and this is laid out in a separate document. Some of my favorite guns get a chance to go to my brother if he gets his license, I have instructions to be buried with my favorite including a few loaded magazines and some targets, and well, you get the idea.

When I get older the trust will probably absorb some of my significant other's family members and get absorbed that direction. In the past I'd thought about donating some of my more historical arms to a museum, but if I died tomorrow, I wouldn't want my cool stuff locked up in a museum to collect dust until some whack job decides to demil it or some shit- they all function, and I hope the next guy gets as much enjoyment as sending some lead down range with them as I do.

Like you, we don't have children however I am fortunate enough to have a nephew who I started taking shooting when he was young. He did a stint in the Air Force and still likes to shoot so he will get & appreciate them.

I may leave a note for the wife on how to distribute a few choice pieces. A-la Boudrie. 😉

We are DINK's with way too much shit even after our recent purge and moving north.
I started a trust for NFA stuff but will add my collection to it now that I'm out of MA to avoid any bullshit. Recently removed ourselves from the workday BS and I really want to get serious about shooting as I've been in the past.

Our will, HCP and other documents are now due for updates and I've started conversations with our lawyer.
No big changes, mostly time and address to close the loop on residency. No kids or outstanding loan stuff so for us it will be all very basic "orders" for stuff.
Sister is executor, nephew gets our house but will be required to obtain some sort of way to get 120-130K in cash to provide a 50K payment (taxes prepaid) to two youngsters (my sister's kids where one is in the military and the other, smart as her father in sales) who are already set in life but a small 50K gift is very appropriate as they would never use or enjoy this house.

Last edited:
I started a trust for NFA stuff and it all goes to my son. If he doesn't want anything (which I highly doubt), then I also have a spreadsheet with what I paid for everything so that my wife and son can figure out what they want to do with them.

My kids have first dibs then my best friend. If my wife gets a LTC then she jumps to the head of the line. I have told the wife if I die first and she remarrys’ the new husband is forbidden from even touching them. I have no problem about her remarrying.

Last edited:
My son will have a full gun cabinet as soon as he buys his first house.........Ill still have a lot left. He will get those as well likely. Maybe my son in law and younger friends.

Before I move south I plan on a purge sale of stuff I really don't shoot, and it will be to move my weapons up to a higher quality, but less of them.

I have a list in my office safe, my office manager knows who to distribute them to (she's on the list for a couple of them as well).

I started a trust for NFA stuff and it all goes to my son. If he doesn't want anything (which I highly doubt), then I also have a spreadsheet with what I paid for everything so that my wife and son can figure out what they want to do with them.

+1 this. My kiddo isn’t of legal age yet, so everything is catalogued on a spread sheet. I also have two friends listed with their LTC #s and contact info to take interim possession.

So the wife and I are starting our estate planning and the question came up as to what I'm going to do with my collection of guns and ammo.... Actually I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. We don't have any kids and nobody in our extended family is all that interested in firearms. I guess options are to leave them to my local gun club, GOAL or sell the entire collection before I die. The selling thing seem sacrilegious to me so I probably will not be doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure my death will be sudden and younger then I would hope. Need to come up with a plan just don't know what that plan will be.

So I know many here will say "Leave them to me!!!". [wink] So who are you leaving your guns too? Do any go to something/someone other then family?

Thanks
I am in a similar situation, gun collection, ammo stash but no kids. I have a list with my will that specifies where I want my personal property to go. Although I keep changing that as friends and family cut me out of their lives due to Trump and then the vaccine.

But for guns I am all set. My best friend is an FFL and an un-vaccinated conservative Trump lover with no kids. Only problem is we are about the same age. One of us is going to end up with a mother load of guns, but may be too old to shoot them. :(

Thanks
I'll accept any such bequests. Somebody's got to take one for the team.

I have mine setup to leave specific items to specific people. If any of that falls through and anything not specifically covered goes to Woburn Sportsmen.

I’m leaving most to kids. They have low interest now but will take the more valuable “core” collection. I need to keep getting rid of the other stuff.

I'm leaving them to my oldest son, he's the only one into guns, the other kids wouldn't appreciate the collection. But my oldest, well he is always encouraging me to buy more, always smiling when I buy something cool................................ hey wait a minutes.... that bastard [laugh] [laugh]

When I die they go to my wife (LTC holder). If we both die before my son is of age my best friend gets to enjoy them until he is of age. It is all outlined in our estate planning.

As for the OP I would imagine you have a good friend who enjoys shooting or at some point may encounter someone younger who enjoys shooting. I’d leave it to them.

Back
Top Bottom