Estate Planning: Who are you leaving your guns too? What is you have no one to leave them too?

A good hunting fishing buddy who is in his late 80's with no relatives and cant get around much anymore gifted all his guns and rods and other outdoor equipment to younger friends who would continue to put it to good use. Said he didn't want any stuff to go into the dumpster or end up at the police station when he was gone.
I got a few fishing rods from some old white dude, me and my kid enjoy using it. Sell your stuff if you can not use it guys,some one else will.

If you don't have anyone to leave them to I would suggest you set up a trust to then sell them on your death and maybe have the proceeds go to a gun organization or other person/organization of your choice.

I wrote in my will my boys will have a "firearms draft". Oldest to youngest, youngest to oldest, etc. Its what my grandfather did, I remember the draft with my father and uncles. It was a bitter sweet memory, and I think we all appreciated the guns even more that we picked when it was our turn because of it.

My grandfathers, and his brothers' guns, all WWII and Korea era veterans, were all 'disappeared and some cut up with a hack saw'. Broke my heart to hear. Nobody understood any attachment to them. [sad] I did not hear about any of it until after the fact. None remain in the family.

My grandfathers, and his brothers' guns, all WWII and Korea era veterans, were all 'disappeared and some cut up with a hack saw'. Broke my heart to hear. Nobody understood any attachment to them. [sad] I did not hear about any of it until after the fact. None remain in the family.
I had a similar experience with my Uncles guns after he passed. He was a WWII vet with a modest gun collection, and some were war relics.

All "disappeared" per his liberal friend. He had verbally committed them to me. This is why it is important to have everything in writing and a good executor.

Back
Top Bottom