Estimates of AR15 ownership in USA?

Koolmoose

NES Member
Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/09/...ent=2018-09-08&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

News blog reports over 9 million AR-15’s manufactured during Obama’s regime. I’ve read estimates of 15 million owned in US, but I think it could be higher.

Two questions:
1. How many civilian AR15’s do you believe are in the country?
2. How many guns does it take to meet the “popular use requirement?

As usual apologies if this is a dupe, but a search was negative. Thanks

How many AR's? What was the % of busniess that was AR's in MA before Healey? I'd apply those numbers against NICS and assume that the proportions are the same or similar (so if someone lost 40% of their busniess in AR's I'd guess 40% of nics checks are for AR's) multiply that out by years over the last decade or so and you'll start getting some real numbers.

2. Popular use. According to Feinstein you're going to need more than 250 school shootings a year with AR's plus more than a handful of DGU's... In reality though, let's face it just about every gun owner owns a AR, they're in popular use, that fact isnt even in question to anyone who doesnt have dementia.

Over 9 Million AR-15 Rifles Made While Obama Was President - AllOutdoor.com

News blog reports over 9 million AR-15’s manufactured during Obama’s regime. I’ve read estimates of 15 million owned in US, but I think it could be higher.

Two questions:
1. How many civilian AR15’s do you believe are in the country?
2. How many guns does it take to meet the “popular use requirement?

As usual apologies if this is a dupe, but a search was negative. Thanks

Two questions:
1. How many civilian AR15’s do you believe are in the country? Not Enough.
2. How many guns does it take to meet the “popular use requirement? 11

All I'm taking from all this is that when we have a President we can't trust to preserve our rights and freedom, Americans get LTCs, buy and build guns, and buy ammo! Who the hell knows how many there are? The more - the merrier!

In reality though, let's face it just about every gun owner owns a AR, they're in popular use, that fact isnt even in question to anyone who doesnt have dementia.

I'm gonna argue this one. I don't deny they're in popular use, but the numbers may be overblown by the people who own multiple. In fact, I don't know an AR owner who ones only one, so you're numbers may be skewed by that.

I'm surprised there are those who don't own any. Figured after SH and before the 2016 election, everyone would've bought at least a couple of lowers just to have them.

You've got Fudds, you've got gun owners whose interest stops at a defensive CCW, and you've got people like me who think they suck. I have never fired an actual AR, but I've used M-16A1s, A2s and M4s and thought each and every one of them was crap, no way would I pay to own one of these. But knock yourself out, you can have the one I don't buy.

I'm gonna go out on a speculation limb here and estimate around 30 million owned by 15 million people. AK's would be less, at around 15 million owned by 6 million I think.

That is the USA though.

Based on just my personal experience - any number you get is going to be lower than the actual.

I have (3) AR's in CT that are registered with the SLFU
(1) was purchased as a factory built firearm - so that's in everyone's count.
(2) were purchased as private party lower purchases, through an FFL, so - they're in CT SLFU records - but they're not in any manufacturer's numbers.

In GA I have:
(1) 9mm factory built AR - that's in everyone's numbers
(1) .556 factory built AR - that's in everyone's numbers
(1) serialized multi-caliber ambi lower; that's in my local FFL's bound book

Some number of un-serialized multi-caliber AR carbines and pistols that aren't declared, registered or have paperwork filed anywhere. And no laws have been broken because I live in Georgia. I can complete 80% lowers for personal use without violating state or federal law. Georgia does NOT maintain any sort of registry.

So - the "numbers" in my case reflect that I own (3) AR style firearms that came from the factory. That's a fraction of what I actually own.

5. Only one that ‘they’ know about. And I’m a piker. Multiply any number they tell you by 5.

Heck, at one of the group buys, the ffl had a bunch extra. One dude heard that and bought 25 more.

There are so many out there, we probably have more ARs than we have brooms in this country.

I'm surprised there are those who don't own any. Figured after SH and before the 2016 election, everyone would've bought at least a couple of lowers just to have them.

Nah.

Some of us have plenty of uniformed experience with DI firearms and prefer pistons.

I’ve got three “evil killy assault weaponzzz” and not one is an AR15.

I know I've said it here before - but that's exactly why I bought my first AR, the next two lowers and my first Glock. I bought them because the government here in CT was busy passing "Emergency Legislation" making "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines illegal to purchase. My response to their self-righteous sanctimonious BS was to purchase (4) handguns, (1) AR, (2) lowers, and (2) rifles that I wouldn't have purchased otherwise. And a buttload of ammo to go along with the buttload of ammo that I already had.

If Jimmy has one lower and three uppers in different calibers, how many ARs does Jimmy have? Jack.

Exactly!

Heck, given the Maura thing, I'm thinking of selling one of my 2 pre-Healey lowers (the other is a true pre-ban EA) so someone else in MA can have something. But as of right now, I've got 3 uppers. Plus a dedicated fixed-mag pistol and a Carbon17. (Carbon 16? 18? I forget.)

This will give you some idea. The spreadsheet covers most of the Clinton AWB years, and shows AR15s manufactured, most without flash hiders. From 2000 to 2010 there were 1,986,807 made, not bad for an Assault Weapons Ban!

DiFi is basing her "common use" argument on the assumption that at any given time AR's are in storage, not being used. Hey she should know, she invented the term Assault Weapon after all.

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s1C2-zqV6n5QndPlu8zFdA4VpPUp-nEd4EvY71oazKQ/edit#gid=0

The real number is probably closer to 100M. I know one collector that has over 100.

I think it's probably way more than that if you count by strictly ATF therminology, i.e. receivers. The amount of unregistered lowers is insane. At $30-$50 a pop, sales and blems, people just buy, finish and stash these like bricks. The number of jigs sold should shed some light on the sheer volume, never mind all other setups.

When I was casting from plastic, I literally had 5 gal bucket full of those f***ing things. They were all destroyed since then, of course.

I don't know how many people actually have less than 10 receivers, because they tend to breed faster than Mosins did.

Back
Top Bottom